What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by NZChris »

Pot stilled a spirit run of UJSSM.

It must have been a damned fine ferment and stripping run, because I'm having a hard time deciding on the hearts. Because my preheater takes a very slow foreshot, there was so little nail varnish in the first jar off the spirit run that including it improves the flavor rather than wrecking it. I rarely taste an individual jar when choosing my cut, but I proofed a sample of this first jar and it wasn't anywhere near the nastiness I expected.

Next problem, the jar with oils floating on it actually improved the flavor of the sample blend when included. I have psychological problems including that jar and I just know that the finished product will mist when it's proofed. I've proofed some samples to see how they look and taste tomorrow.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Deplorable wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:17 am
Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:11 am
Deplorable wrote:Setting up now to make what may well be my last mash for a couple years. I'm trying to get a domestic temporary assignment at work that will have me living in my RV 3 hours from home for the next couple years before I retire.
A sacrifice I'll gladly make given the significance of the financial windfall that comes with the assignment.
And when I come back from the assignment, I'll have a 5 gallon barrel of HBB waiting for me.
Hope the angels aren't too thirsty Deplorable!
No kidding! On the bright side, I'll only be 3 hours from home by car and can come home on the weekends. But with gas prices soaring, it won't be a frequent folly. So, I'll be able to come home, and move it to glass storage.
With a little planning you can mash-in and pitch yeasties in one weekend and leave it alone for quite a few weekends before strips.

Hope you can work something in Deplorable! I have a feeling you might get the itch…

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:11 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:17 am
Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:11 am
Deplorable wrote:Setting up now to make what may well be my last mash for a couple years. I'm trying to get a domestic temporary assignment at work that will have me living in my RV 3 hours from home for the next couple years before I retire.
A sacrifice I'll gladly make given the significance of the financial windfall that comes with the assignment.
And when I come back from the assignment, I'll have a 5 gallon barrel of HBB waiting for me.
Hope the angels aren't too thirsty Deplorable!
No kidding! On the bright side, I'll only be 3 hours from home by car and can come home on the weekends. But with gas prices soaring, it won't be a frequent folly. So, I'll be able to come home, and move it to glass storage.
With a little planning you can mash-in and pitch yeasties in one weekend and leave it alone for quite a few weekends before strips.

Hope you can work something in Deplorable! I have a feeling you might get the itch…

Cheers,
-j
Had my interview this morning.
It didn't leave me warm and fuzzy. We'll see. I do most of my stillin in the winter, and the pass over the mountains can be sketchy. So if I do get the job, the chances of getting in a ferment in are slim.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Just bottled a batch of old tom gin. ... contemplating my next challenge. :-/
-- Rrmuf
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Ran off a barrel of AG sweetfeed—corn, oat, wheat, and smidge of molasses. First time so we shall see how she ages.
If in doubt leave it out.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Did cuts and filled a BadMo barrel
badmosm.JPG
Stay safe
OVZ
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Stripped and spirited some of Bill's all molasses. This stuff is great aged on some heavy char. Even after only 3 months it's so much smoother. Also did a 23 litre of TFFV.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

46 litres of TFFVodka
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

Forgot to post yesterday when I actually did the making, but I put the Last of my 25 litres of LME down to ferment in 2 23 litre batches, one with bakers and one with Still Spirits whisky yeast.

Interested to see how the taste and the attenuation differs in both.

I had no glucoamylase, so I am keeping everything crossed that both yeasts can go nice and low.

With that thank the 10l of low wines I have still to run, I think I should comfortably get enough to fill my 10 litre barrel whilst being reasonably selective with what makes the cut
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I stripped about 10 to 11 gallons of UJSSM yesterday and today I'm going to finish up about a gallon and a 1/2 of 90 proof pugirum, all that is left to do is make the caramel to color and back sweeten. I'm still waiting on the 5 gallon barrel of the same rum to finish it's been put to bed for about a month and a 1/2.
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

Ever have one of those once in a lifetime opportunities?

Family member was given literally 10 pallets of raisins that were at their expiration date. I was given all I cared to carry/take to make a brandy. I took around 150lbs. The catch? They’re in 1.5oz boxes :-) I don’t know what’s more work, de-stemming and stomping grapes,or shucking lunchbox sided raisin boxes.

At any rate, my summer project has shifted from corn to preserving as many of these raisins as I can before they spoil. Test batch is fermenting away now after shucking over 400 kiddie sized boxes, and I’m studying up I’m cognac distilling methods.

Pointers welcome!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

XDStill wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 pm .... Test batch is fermenting away...... and I’m studying up I’m cognac distilling methods.

Pointers welcome!
Can't help you much, but it's good to see your making test batches before jumping in with both feet. :lol:
First thing I'd do, is figure out how to grind up the raisins and how much water is needed for 1.060ish
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

shadylane wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 pm
XDStill wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 pm .... Test batch is fermenting away...... and I’m studying up I’m cognac distilling methods.

Pointers welcome!
Can't help you much, but it's good to see your making test batches before jumping in with both feet. :lol:
First thing I'd do, is figure out how to grind up the raisins and how much water is needed for 1.060ish
If you have access to a meat grinder it should work pretty well to break up the raisins. I use one for making falafel as an easy way to break down the soaked chick peas.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Cook them up a bit in water till they look thick n gloopy, then hit them with the mortar mixer on a drill.......just a suggestion.
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

Thanks gents. I searched the site and found a few 10 year old posts referencing raisin brandy as a guide.

For this initial batch, I put 8 gallons of boiling water to 36lbs of raisins, let them soak and then used a mortar mixer and it seemed to beat them up pretty good. Hit an OG of 1.087. Used EC1118 yeast. Planning to use my grape press once it’s done to separate unless the skins just turn into goop. I will follow up in a week or so. Been thinking about unboxing a few more cases and getting them into the freezer for storage.

The real bummer is that I haven’t had a chance to get my 240 outlets set up for my larger still and brew gear since my house move, so I’ve got to go at this with my older 7 gallon setup. Gonna be a stripping fool if this all goes as planned. Hoping the product makes it worth the effort, knowing the source were flame table grapes.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If they are dried grapes ('raisins') why should they not remain sound for a long time?

A year or so, maybe more?

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:07 am If they are dried grapes ('raisins') why should they not remain sound for a long time?

Geoff
Maybe it wasn't a currant batch........??? :econfused:
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:04 pm
The Baker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:07 am If they are dried grapes ('raisins') why should they not remain sound for a long time?

Geoff
Maybe because it wasn't a currant batch........??? :econfused:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66719

Arto’s Raki using raisins as the base spirit. This is a good ref. Different raisins? Doesn’t need to be an anise spirit either. Some wine making enzymes would help break down the raisins but you will want to grind or chop them all to open them up. You migjt use some wine kit wine to bump the SG and liquid?

Sounds great except for a million boxes of raisins to deal with.

There might be sulfites too which may or may not need remediation. I wouldn’t worry about the expiration date unless there’s mold.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:04 pm Maybe it wasn't a currant batch........??? :econfused:
:roll: :lol:
jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:43 pm Arto’s Raki using raisins as the base spirit.
Seemed like a reasonably good recipe when I read through it when he first put it up......Id give it a whirl.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Maybe because it wasn't a currant batch........???

Took me a while to see the pun in that, CoogeeBoy!

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:38 am Maybe because it wasn't a currant batch........???

Took me a while to see the pun in that, CoogeeBoy!

Geoff
My job is done......
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stripping runs on HBB today. Last run of the season before the weather gets too warm.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Stripped 110 L cornmeal and oats Friday and Saturday.
Today the 28 L of low wines gets a spirit run
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Doing the spirit run on a 70/16/14 corn, malted wheat and vienna malt bourbon. This is the second batch. The first is just about a month old and is already very good. I had a little taste and found notes of honey, almond, and chocolate. I looked up tasting notes for vienna malt and found honey, almond and hazelnut listed. I think this is definitely the best product ive made so far. Very happy.
HmBrwr Whsky Drnkr
Novice

Post by HmBrwr Whsky Drnkr »

I made an all grain vodka 3 months ago. It’s been fermenting since. About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that it was starting to turn black from the top down. The amount of black liquid is still getting bigger. Anyone have any idea what kind of infection/bacteria would cause this?

Pulled a sample. It smells a little like soy sauce to me. My wife disagrees. She thinks it smells like fermented fruit.

Here was my mash bill:

White wheat
Barley
Flaked barley
Rice hulls

Starting gravity was 1.072. Finish gravity was 1.010.
905759BA-D8AE-44BB-9724-A8BC6DF67142.jpeg
Don’t blame a clown for being a clown. Instead, ask yourself why do you keep going to the circus.
HmBrwr Whsky Drnkr
Novice

Post by HmBrwr Whsky Drnkr »

Could it be oxidation?
Don’t blame a clown for being a clown. Instead, ask yourself why do you keep going to the circus.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

3lbs cracked corn
1.25lbs Vienna malt
1.25lbs American rye malt
1lbs north american white wheat malt
12oz crisp crystal 45
5oz castle Belgian pale
4oz 6-row Indian malt
3oz 2-row malt
Per 4 gal water
Belgian ale yeast

Trying to use up some grains before the environment consumes them. So put this together.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Ended up with 6 gallons of vodka at 95% after super tight cuts from 50 gallons of feints watered to 30%

After 18 months we saved enough for two runs. Took all day. Totally worth it. Sodium carbonate is GOD! Now to the filtering!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Three stripping runs of UJSSM, meanwhile using up the last of my corn with rye and barley, making use of the waste heat and two of the backsets and the backset from the previous generation's spirit run backset that I had held over, for an AG Bourbon.

I still have to deal with the trub from the UJSSM as it was the last of the series. I could chuck some Angel Yellow Label in it and make GNS.