What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

What'd ya'll make today?

Post by junkyard dawg »

I been taking a long break from making anything. got back into it today with an apple brandy. just pitched the yeast... ec1118, 15 lbs of apples and a bit of sugar to make a 9%, 6 gallon wash.

What yall been making?
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

put 1gal of hearts and 2gals tails(got to have the tails) with 2gals water from a ujsm run in my potstill for a double run(my first). i dont know if it was the double run or the fact that i was not as stingey with my cuts but it has made me the best drink i have ever made.
Day Late;Dollar Short
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

Better late than never i suppose. On the Sunday of JYD's posting I took all of the rum that I had single run (tails included) and a recent stripping run, combined all of it for a 2nd run of 8 gal, and yeilded 4gal of 138 proof. Just had my 1st Rum and Coke from it tonight, and boy is it tasty. !st run stuff was a little too strong on the molasses taste for me. Will probably reduce molasses content of recipe for next time and see if I can be happy with a single run on that. :)
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

just had 21 gallons honey gave to me will have to figure something.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Rebel_Yell
Swill Maker

Post by Rebel_Yell »

tater wrote:just had 21 gallons honey gave to me will have to figure something.
You lucky dog....

It is nutrient poor. I like to add small amounts to a healthy ferment.

I wish that I had enough meade to distill...
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

last semseter took a long break (the whole semseter) then came Winter break i made 25 gallons of beer (shiner bock clone, porter, honey ale , and a doubble bock,and i have finally got around to distilling my mustang brandy but only got the stripping run done :cry:

I cant wait for spring break!!!!!
when is never enough?
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

i've made bad brandies with the mustang... made some nice vodkas tho... They are so plentiful around here I just feel irresponsible not using them :shock:
Monster Mash
Novice

Post by Monster Mash »

Anybody doing an Easter Weekend run? I'm still running 16% wheat grain bill whiskey runs to get up enough to do a spirit run to fill a 5 gal Gibbs barrel at 62%.
PDA1 on a 19 gallon Whirlpool water heater. We bring good things to life.
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

well nothjng today but in 3 days i should have my new stills built and will run 50l of sugar, 25l of rum, 20l apple brandy and maybe some plum brandy
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

It is, after all, YEASTER Sunday. Yesterday I mashed 11# wheat, 6# corn, and 4# 6-row malt. Today I'll pitch the Yeaster :lol: OG 1.057
Bout 7% potential. Should be tasty. Using English Ale yeast from white labs.

Hope ya'll have a good one.
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Today am I running 35 liters UJSM... Stripping run... Allready 5 liters collected!
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Got 2 buckets of UJSM to rack,and 2 buckets of malt/wheat/barley/oat/rye/corn sugar to rack.Going to run the UJSM tuesday,and the other one when it gets real clear.I will be racking to carboys tonight,after the easter bunny has left the building.
wineo
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I've just put on a "Deathwish wheatgerm wash".....should be ready to run by the weekend.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I want that recipe for the name alone... :D
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Im at day 8 with a 52L sugar wash still chugging the airlock so I guess im still ok .. maybe by the week end .. :D
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

ditto CoopOz
For you JD
Deathwish wrote: this is a very easy wash I use 10lbs of sugar 16oz of wheat germ 1 tsp of citric acid I put all of that in a 5 gallon pot fill it close to the top with water and let it boil for about 1 and 1/2 hours then pour it in my 6 and 1/2 gallon fermenter top it off to 6 gallons total with water let it cool then add my yeast. I like to use red star champiane yeast it is only 79 cents around here. it should ferment in about 3-4 days be careful i have had this recipe blow the bubbler out and put a dent in my ceiling. lol
And that is it.
Mine should be finished up sometimes this week.
wg5.jpg
wg5.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 51382 times
Samson
Novice

Post by Samson »

Yesterday I started a Deathwish weatgerm. Easter morn I pitched the yeast and let me tell you I have never had a ferment take off like this did. After just one hour it looked like this. Its a good thing the top is clamped on my fermenter or it would have blown right through the roof. Easter bunny was good :D
Last edited by Samson on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Samson, do ya just run it when it's done fermentin'?

What about the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter?
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

3rd generation of UJSM, going to start running it in a couple hours. It was ready to run yesterday but with easter and all I could not get to it untill today....Pugi
Samson
Novice

Post by Samson »

This is just my fermenter not my boiler. I have a spigot at the bottom of it to drain out. And I filter through fat ladys nylons. I just don't tell my wife I took them :lol:. The yeast lays lower then the spigot so that takes care of anything at the bottom. Heres what I have, on the spigot there is a 90degree elbow and a 3"x 1/2" piece of copper pipe pointing stright up this way it will only drain to 6" from the bottom And the nylons filter out any weatgerm or grains that may come through. This elbow is detachable so if I make anything without grains I can drain down 2" from the bottom. This is the first time I made a weatgerm but like anything I make I will drain, strain and rack for about a week or so.
Hope this helps you out.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Good deal. Nice set-up.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Made a Guienness Stout semi-clone....should be 4.2 % abv, and the wort tasted nice.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

This old thread has come to life!

I'm starting to strip 13 gallons of whiskey mash. Its got about 25 generations of sourmash behind it. Starting to get pretty tasty :D
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

you are all lucky
I can't do a thing for the next 2 months, and i haven't done a thing the last 2 months :(
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Its recycle day! Just packed 12 clean ss scrubbers in my nixon/stone reflux.I loaded the still with 5 gallons of heads/tails corn UJSM leftovers,a gallon of water,and more baking soda.{it already had some in the gallons} Im going to reflux it real slow tonight,and get some neutral spirits at 190 proof.Hope it cleans up good!
wineo
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Finally warmed up enough here to dabble a little.Started a honey wash.Took 9 gallons honey 1 qt of molasses 2# 6oz cans tomatoe paste and 4 ozs lime juice.Got 55 grams ec1118 prestarted in some of the wash now.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Hey tater,do you ever make beer?That honey will make a smooth brew!
wineo
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

wineo wrote:Hey tater,do you ever make beer?That honey will make a smooth brew!
wineo
No sir never tryed beer at all made a little wine a few times
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Did you have to melt any of the honey because it crystallized? I love crystallized honey. That is by far my favorite candy. Creamed honey spread is what they call it nowadays. I just call it good whenever I get any. Mine sells so fast in the summer I never have surplus. All those locals are trying to fight these horrendous Kentucky allergies. I can't wait till harvest time again. I love wild flower honey. Especially mine that is mostly locust, blackberry, and wild black raspberry. I can smell it now. hmmmm.......
I just got through running my wheatgerm 1st generation. The yield was a little disappointing because I hurried it to the still. but the next generation is going to be killer. This will be the first time in a long time that I have carried on multiple generation in a long time. I will probably run this one for 9 months or more, since I am not building equipment this year.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Honey still ferminting away.