What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

General47
Swill Maker

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by General47 »

Toxxyc wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:03 am My only worry with fermenting with grains is always the grains souring. Grains sour REALLY fast, like overnight, if the temperature is even remotely in the right range.

Anyways, who closed down in Malmesbury? I know a lot of small places closed down and I'm trying to keep track here and there. Apiwe is also out of business :(
The brewery was in Gordons bay.
To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. ~Homer Simpson
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

tombombadil wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:32 pm I started a booners but with a yeast called "Philly Sour". It's designed to be used with berlinner weise type beers where you want some tartness. It produces it's own lactic acid, enough to be pretty tart when it's done fermenting. I'm wondering if this will make it an interesting whiskey yeast. I might use it for a HBB type of spirit I'll be working on in a couple months.

So far it's chugging along as expected. There was about a 36 hour lag time but I didn't make a starter so maybe I'll have to do that next time I use it, if there's a next time.

I'm fermenting at the upper end of the fermentation range as my fermentation fridge was turned back in to a normal chest freezer after I shot a pig :) 150 pounds of pork was not going to fit in my normal freezer...
Finally ran this one. It turned out really good! But I think it's really good because of the cuts, doesn't seem like the yeast helped much.

I steam stripped down to 27%, then did the spirit run.

I'm not using jars anymore, just making a cut and sticking to it.

Last Korn Likker I made too small of a heads cut and it ended up tasking like apples. This time I went the other direction, made my heads cut came after I stopped tasting/smelling apple and nail polish at all.

I ended up with about 3/4 gallons of 55% abv likker that I really enjoy drinking. I don't think the yeast really added much that I wouldn't have gotten from us-05 or some other ale yeast. I won't use it again. It's not bad but the extra expense wasn't worth it. I'll probably go back to using belgian or english ale yeasts.

It's taken me a year and a few dozen runs to realize the old timers are right, stop stressing about yield, make better cuts and the likker comes out better. I still think we can make better products by using better ingredients and following good fermentation management processes, but not being greedy with cuts really makes the biggest difference.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Got up early, and made two stripping runs on my infected all corn mash. Started at 6 am and by noon I had 22 gallons stripped to 6 gallons at 34%, boiler cleaned out, copper all scrubbed up, and the fermenter washed and sanitized and reassembled the still for a spirit run. Another 150# of corn and I'll fill that barrel in the picture.
image5696.jpg
image5702.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

I'm one of those weird old dudes that really like horehound candy. I loaded up about 20 drops in a half quart of neutral to make some horehound liqueur. I then made the following cocktail with it:

1oz Horehound Liqueur
2oz Bourbon
.5oz Lemon juice
1 egg white

In a shaker pre-shake to make good foam for about 15 seconds, then add crushed ice and shake the snot out of it for another 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass over a giant ice cube and garnish with a lemon peel stuck through each end with a rosemary sprig.
General47
Swill Maker

Post by General47 »

General47 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:08 am Mornin' Lads

Here in the Southern tip of Africa, we are in our 503rd day of a 21 day lockdown, we have had adjusted regulations from bans on buying open toes shoes, alcohol and sigarrettes to almost everything in between at its worst... anyway...

a local small brewery closed down and they were selling off some used equipment and I managed to get 2 x 350l plastic conical fermentation tanks for next to nothing.

So following some of the great advice on this site I wanted to do a decent single malt all grain. This would be my first all grain, only ever did rum and sugar washes before this.

So I started by taking the tank out from its stand and giving it a good clean and scrubbing, followed by a hosing down and a no rinse sanitizer spray applied after that.

I added what I think was 200l of tap water (I dont have another inexpensive water source). I let it stand uncovered for a day. My reasoning behind this is if there is any chlorine, It should use this opportunity to leave the tank.

I then introduced a 3000W floating element, this was probably the most ineffiecient thing i've ever come across after 20 hours I was only up to 83 degrees Celcius, I started at 12 degrees (winter and all) I wanted a boil, but alas. I waited for the temp to reach 75 degrees C, then added in my 50 kg of malt. (I rounded off the measurements I find that the mix should be around 1 part grain to 4 parts water, where sugar washes I push this to 1 part sugar to 5 parts water.)

I stirred every 30 minutes and after 1 and a half hour I had an SG of 1.063 which by the standard of what I have read here is quite acceptable. I let the mix cool down for a day until I reached 30 Degrees and then added 200gr of M1 whiskey distillers yeast and 5 x oyster shells that I have boiled previously to sanitize and added my fishtank heater to keep the mix at temp for the rest of the fermentation.

I am happy to report that there is a sourish fermentlike odor coming off the mix with evidence of bubbles forming on top of the layer of grain that arose to the top. Top layer is maybe 7cm thick of fairly dry spent malt. I am assuming that the process has been a success thus far. I dont wanna mess with it too much at this stage in the fermentation but I will check in in 2 weeks to update this post on how things went.

200l water
50kg malt europ pale ale malt
200 grams M1 whiskey yeast
5 x boiled oyster shells

I was always the plan to ferment on the grain, the conical fermenter has a tap at the bottom so I can dispense wash into a 30 liter bucket through a sift that will catch the grains.

In retrospect for the next batch (next year probably) I will boil water on propane in 20 liter batches after 2 batches I will add the element in, this should bring me up to the boiling point much faster thatn the element alone. Also I can keep count of the water I add to bring me up to 200L. as i was not sure I hit the 200L mark exactly. (open to suggestions from Y'all here)

Thanks for reading
Ok so an update on this...

fermentation stalled at 1.055 cold conditions in winter time is what i suspect the reason is. I use a submersable fishtank heater to heat the wash, however the doing this on the grain meant that the wash was not getting heated sufficiently due to (it looks to me) the grain acting like an insulator for the heater.

So my plan to fix this was then to remove the grain from the equasion. I started with a cleaned bucket scooping liquid out into another sanitized container until i had to finally open the bottom tap of the fermenter, the flow was slooooow. the grains act like their own sieve. Eventually i have removed the liquid from the grain, put the fish tank heater in, but there was not movement after a day. I figured maybe I should just kick start the yeast a little, so i mixed 40grams of bakers yeast with some sugar water adn some wash 50/50 i had an almost immediate reaction within 15 mins the jug was foaming with a thick head. I pitched this into the the fermenter. so now about a week later the reading is 1.050 very little has happened.

There is no foul odours, just the normal healthy ferment smell but it again seems fermentation has stalled. there are a few white bubbles on the top. but very little seems to be happening in terms of fermantation.

My sugar wash is just coming done now, started at 1075 and is now at 1020, so i am thinking that i should move the fermentation over to this fermenter, but boil first to sanitize if it maybe picked up an infection on the previous move.

If I do this however I will lose the 1.5% that i have gained in alcohol, but i was thinking i could just add some sugar to make this up?
Will this work or am i mad?
To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. ~Homer Simpson
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

I made a cocktail whose sum is greater than it's parts.

8oz nasty cheapo sweet red wine blend
1oz vanilla, dried apricot Korn Likker

It's actually very good.

The Korn likker is1 qt Booners style Korn likker @120p, with 1 vanilla bean and 4 dried apricots.

I also made some with dates and the apricots version is better.

The likker by itself is weird, probably would not drink it straight, but it's s very good mixer.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It's mash day on mash #2/4 of 50 pounds of corn. As soon as I've had my coffee.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

D752991B-2A76-47A4-8EC5-4A6BC88AE1E3.jpeg
B4B170DF-2D6E-41B4-A478-5B1719436A5C.jpeg
Day five of a 15 gallon melter honey mead destined for the boiler. SG was about 1.070 with 2 gallons melter honey and water to approx 15g. 1 TBSP calcium hydroxide and a handful of shells to prevent pH crash. Dropped to about pH4.6 and stayed there. 4x daily 8.5g Fermaid-O nutrient feedings. Fermenting on D47 around 66*F. Day 5 SG just under 1.040 and bangin along. If i was making mead i’d probably prefer pH to be in the 3.4-3.8 range but that’s not what this is going to be. I’ve got 6 more gallons of melter honey and will harvest honey dunder from this strip for next ferment and probably run a couple small batch spirit runs to size up cuts before a larger batch spirit.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Finished my Ginger beer syrup, very strong!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

stripped 50 litres of TTFV
then spirit run for 10l of 94% ABV

That will go towards some Odin's gin for Christmas presents with the 5l of limoncello I made last week.

Also racked 70l of pear mash for stripping run tomorrow. That was a challenge, removing the solids.
Taken me all day and will run the pear wine for a pear brandy tomorrow.

Anyone tell me what makes pear brandy into a pear schnapps? (am going to ask the Fruity Goodness thread also, apologies for the duplicate posting).
August Limoncello.jpg
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:27 am stripped 50 litres of TTFV

That will go towards some Odin's gin for Christmas presents with the 5l of limoncello I made last week.

Also racked 70l of pear mash for stripping run tomorrow. That was a challenge, removing the solids.

Anyone tell me what makes pear brandy into a pear schnapps? (am going to ask the Fruity Goodness thread also, apologies for the duplicate posting).

August Limoncello.jpg
Im about to start picking sickle pears in the coming days. How many bushel of pears did it take you to get 70L of pear must? Im trying to figure out how much its going to take to fill my 30 gallon fermenter.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Bottled an AG oatmeal stout and yesterday I ran another micro-stilling spirit run on a gumbalhead made from the spent grains of the same stout. The stout has promise. I'll be very interested to see what flavours come over in the gumbalhead. I was defintely get cocoa in the late-hearts, early tails as it came off the spout.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:58 am

August Limoncello.jpg
Im about to start picking sickle pears in the coming days. How many bushel of pears did it take you to get 70L of pear must? Im trying to figure out how much its going to take to fill my 30 gallon fermenter.
Hi Deplorable,
I bought about 45kg of pears, cored them and chopped them up. That filled 2*35l fermenters giving me the 70l of pear mash/must.
After removing the solids, it looks like I have about 40l of fermented pear juice Is that also "must"), just starting the strip of my first 25l now.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:32 pm

August Limoncello.jpg
Hi Deplorable,
I bought about 45kg of pears, cored them and chopped them up. That filled 2*35l fermenters giving me the 70l of pear mash/must.
After removing the solids, it looks like I have about 40l of fermented pear juice Is that also "must"), just starting the strip of my first 25l now.
Looks like I might need about 150 pounds or so.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bottled sparkling blackcurrant & apple hard cider ready for summer. It's a cheat's method, using store bought apple juice, blackcurrant concentrate, EC-1118 and recycled screw cap RTD bottles, but it looks good and tastes good and the womenfolk around here really like it.

With a bit of luck, it will be a good match with the 5lbs of Havarti style cheese I made yesterday.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:23 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:32 pm

August Limoncello.jpg
Hi Deplorable,
Looks like I might need about 150 pounds or so.
I did my strip runs today, got about 6.5l at 40% ABV.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Started a couple TFFV fermentations after a couple months' pre-occupied by moving and a wedding. It's nice to be back in the saddle!!!!!
-- Rrmuf
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I got up early, ran a 5 gallon spirit run of all corn, Now Im on my 2nd stripping run of another all corn mash. Tomorrows agenda is a spirit run on these low wines. This should get me half way to a barrel fill.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Mashing the 3rd straight corn mash today. While that mashes I cut up a few pieces of cherry wood to season for glass aging.
My opportunity for pairs was a bust. Very low sugar content, and not enough pears to make a decent ferment, so I'm back to focusing on squeezing 200# of corn into a 5 gallon barrel.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Deplorable you’re cranking through some corn! I do love a straight oaked corn too :) Is this a new barrel?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:27 pm Deplorable you’re cranking through some corn! I do love a straight oaked corn too :) Is this a new barrel?
It'll be a once used Barrel Mill barrel. They're plentiful here at $50 a piece. I've purchased 3 to date. One I filled with single malt, one I bought and shipped for a member here, and one I just emptied of 5 gallons of Malbec to be blended with more to bring out the cherry and white pepper, and tone down the bourbon influence.
I think that barrel is now destined to be broken down for oak sticks. I might make a couple badmo barrels from the heads.
The next one will get this corn whiskey for 18 to 24 months.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:05 pm It'll be a once used Barrel Mill barrel. They're plentiful here at $50 a piece. I've purchased 3 to date. One I filled with single malt, one I bought and shipped for a member here,
How much was shipping???
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:34 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:05 pm It'll be a once used Barrel Mill barrel. They're plentiful here at $50 a piece. I've purchased 3 to date. One I filled with single malt, one I bought and shipped for a member here,
How much was shipping???
If I recall, it was about $70 to his location. Barrels weigh about 35 pounds empty, that cost included boxing to prevent any damage.

For me, there is plenty of life left in these barrels to justify them over a new barrel. These are only filled for 10 to 14 months with new make whiskey for "Barrel Club Members" Once the owner decides to bottle, if they don't want the barrel, it's stacked on a pallet and sold to walk in customers like me.
They sell a lot of them to home brewers for barrel aged beer. A buddy of mine bought a single use 15 gallon barrel for $75. He's got an Oatmeal stout aging in it now, and If I'm not mistaken, one of the local micro breweries is buying up the used 15 gallon barrels now for their barrel aged porters and stouts.

Edited to add: Check around your local micro distilleries. I'm sure you'll find some looking to off load used barrels.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:58 pm
How much was shipping???
If I recall, it was about $70 to his location. Barrels weigh about 35 pounds empty, that cost included boxing to prevent any damage.

For me, there is plenty of life left in these barrels to justify them over a new barrel. These are only filled for 10 to 14 months with new make whiskey for "Barrel Club Members" Once the owner decides to bottle, if they don't want the barrel, it's stacked on a pallet and sold to walk in customers like me.
They sell a lot of them to home brewers for barrel aged beer. A buddy of mine bought a single use 15 gallon barrel for $75. He's got an Oatmeal stout aging in it now, and If I'm not mistaken, one of the local micro breweries is buying up the used 15 gallon barrels now for their barrel aged porters and stouts.

Edited to add: Check around your local micro distilleries. I'm sure you'll find some looking to off load used barrels.
Cheap. I got quoted $129 to ship a golf club from a shop in California!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:25 am
Deplorable wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:58 pm
How much was shipping???

Cheap. I got quoted $129 to ship a golf club from a shop in California!
New 10l American White Oak barrels are AUD170 here
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I found a source of flaked, torrified corn for (what I think) is a good price from a local brew shop not far from my house. So I'm busy building a recipe for whisky. I want barley and corn, but I'm not sure in what volumes for both. I don't want it overly corn-forward but I do want that classic corn sweetness as well. Would 75/25 barley/corn be a good volume?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

just cooked 50lbs of cracked corn last night, first time using the High Temp enzyme, it worked real nice.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Toxxyc wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 am I don't want it overly corn-forward but I do want that classic corn sweetness as well. Would 75/25 barley/corn be a good volume?
Yes, that would be very similar to NC Hooch’s tried & true Carolina bourbon.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

8Ball wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:26 am
Toxxyc wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 am I don't want it overly corn-forward but I do want that classic corn sweetness as well. Would 75/25 barley/corn be a good volume?
Actually opposite. 75%barley, and 25% corn.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 pm
8Ball wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:26 am
Actually opposite. 75%barley, and 25% corn.
Ah, yea. I focused on the “want that classic corn sweetness” comment. My bad.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”