What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Archee72 »

Yesterday I put down my 1st ferment of SBB’s all molasses rum.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:11 am I don't have a Tilt, but I do have an iSpindel. I've used it a few times for sugar washes and beer and have a plan for a sort of cage that might make it usable for AG ferments. I tend to use it to monitor an initial batch and if it has worked I repeat it without the iSpindel. At the minute it logs to a French beer brewing site, but at some point I might deploy an old PC or a RPi as the monitoring hub. I have plans to add some levels of monitoring and automation to the still at some point so it wouldn't be out of place.

My fermenting is currently all done indoors in a well-insulated house. Even in winter we rarely get worse than a 5C swing in temperature so my ferments largely run cool (around 23C) and are unheated. I like the idea of remote / automatic cold crashing based on a detected end of fermentation.
... Similarly, Canada is cool this time of year :wink: My fermenters will be sitting in a cellar at ~12-14C while I am away. So it is a good cool environment for clearing. I just run the Tilt app on an old Ipad as a monitoring hub - it's just what I had on hand - and it logs to a google sheet in the cloud.

The other application I would see useful with the still itself is to be able to charge it up in the evening and bring it up to a "near" temperature by the time I am up and ready to start stilling in the morning. That would require some kind of controller with feedback from a thermowell in the boiler ..... and then I would still feel like it is not a safe set-up.... maybe I should just get a higher power heating element and controller for pre-heating purposes :lol:

(But I fear we digress from the intent of this topic)
-- Rrmuf
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Orange Pale Ale. Experimenting with a partial boil. I have an 18L stock pot and was using a recipe for 25L of wort. And to complicate things further I was using BIAB. My efficiency was nothing to write home about. I mashed 4kg of Pale Ale malt with 14L of water at 72C. The mash went beautifully and after pulling out the bag and squeezing a little, I collected about 12.5L of wort (forgot to measure the SG at this point). I dumped the grain bag into a bucket and started the boil. At some point near the end of the boil I looked at the bucket and saw the liquid coming off and decided to pour another 4L of water over it and let it drain out a little. After draining and squeezing this got me about another 4L of wort at 1.020. I boiled this separately without any hops and added it to the original wort when liquoring down in the fermenting bucket. Got about 20L at 1.040. I'm still wary about boiling wort in my electric keggle. It's a 4500W element in three parts which appears to have a relatively low watt density, but I don't fancy scorching the wort.

The alternative is biting the bullet and buying a big-ass stockpot, but I have neither the cash nor the space so at some point I'm just going to have to try the kettle.

I'm planning to mash in two more batches of HBB this week if I can find the time.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Dreamer
Novice

Post by Dreamer »

I have a 5 gal, 75% corn, 25% malted barley mash that's been fermenting for 7 days. Lalvin K1 V1116 yeast. After it stops I'll wait a week for it to settle and then siphon it into a Brewhaus 7½ gal stainless column still. I'll set it up for a bit of reflux and shoot for a 75% ABV to retain some flavor and add medium toasted white oak chips. After a couple months I'll water it down to 50% ABV. But, I always retain some white dog for drinking now.

Then I plan to do a 100% malted barley mash with Red Star D.A.D.Y. and finish it the same way.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Got up early and finally completed the Spirit run on my 3rd ferment of Corn Squeezin's. I'll be filling a 5 gallon barrel next weekend, and then some.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Yesterday, I picked juniper berries. They were plentiful and I got about 1 Kg in an hour! There was a good wind so it was easy to sift out the berries from the needles and branches by dumping the lot back and forth between buckets.

I learned something too: If you just make sure you have a pan or wide bucket under a branch and lightly brush the underside of the branch, the ripe berries drop easily but the green berries tend to stay on the branch.
-- Rrmuf
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

Doin a test batch of pure corn whisky. Malt corn for the enzymes for converting. So far I'm pleased with how it turned out. Now just gotta run it through the still
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Sonofliberty75 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 am Doin a test batch of pure corn whisky. Malt corn for the enzymes for converting. So far I'm pleased with how it turned out. Now just gotta run it through the still
I made the final blend on my all corn last night to fill a barrel. I'll fill a 5 gallon barrel and set another gallon on cherry wood, both at 60%. I did not use malted corn though.
20211108_175352.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:21 am
Sonofliberty75 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 am Doin a test batch of pure corn whisky. Malt corn for the enzymes for converting. So far I'm pleased with how it turned out. Now just gotta run it through the still
I made the final blend on my all corn last night to fill a barrel. I'll fill a 5 gallon barrel and set another gallon on cherry wood, both at 60%. I did not use malted corn though.

20211108_175352.jpg
Sweet! Something about corn that I cant get away from haha
That's awesome! Congrats!🤘🇺🇸 Ithis will be my first time using malt corn for converting all the starch from the other corn. I did half n half of corn malt to corn meal in some test batches and got an SG of 1.050 and 1.070 on the two. I was stupid and dumped them together an fermented them, but it fermented out to.992 so I figured that was good enough!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.
Using feed store whole corn, milled in my restored grist mill and enzymes I got 1.062, and 1.064 on the first 2 ferments. The 3rd ferment was Bob's Red Mill corn meal, and enzymes, and it got 1.068. All finished dry, and 2 developed a lacto infection after squeezing.
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:42 am Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.
Using feed store whole corn, milled in my restored grist mill and enzymes I got 1.062, and 1.064 on the first 2 ferments. The 3rd ferment was Bob's Red Mill corn meal, and enzymes, and it got 1.068. All finished dry, and 2 developed a lacto infection after squeezing.
That's awesome! I'm kind of a noob when it comes to converting, but I started reading till my eyes bleed and am finally starting to understand it! I hate using sugar ,which is what I am trying to get away from. And I heard that malt corn gives it a earthy taste which is what I'm after. So I decided to malt my own corn and give it a try, and I'm after the earthy grassy corn flavor so I used my malt corn green and I read it's got a higher DP. So I hope I have found what I'm after. Guess I'll see what the final step results in!
Is the lacto infection some that just happens randomly or is there some reason or a way to get it? I've never had one but I heard it gives it a good flavor in the distilate
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

6.3 litres of rum, oaked and spiced. Another 850ml decanted before the oaking at 76% ABV, planning on proofing this down to 43% and then using as a white rum for cocktails and the like.

Also captured another large-ish jar (probably around 2 litres) of rum AFTER the hearts. During the hearts run I kept on tasting and when I thought I hit tails I switched jars and started capturing tails for the feints jar. A few minutes later the produce started smelling really nice so I have it a taste. Still tasted pretty great, so I decided to oak it anyway. If it turns out nasty, I'll just add it to the feints jar.

Going to be starting another rum wash soon. More molasses makes a HUGE difference in rum. I used to work on 10% molasses to 90% sugar by weight, but I'm up to 75% molasses to 25% sugar now. Think I need to do a few all-molasses washes just to see what flavour it's capable of...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Sonofliberty75 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 am… I heard that malt corn gives it a earthy taste which is what I'm after. So I decided to malt my own corn and give it a try, and I'm after the earthy grassy corn flavor so I used my malt corn green and I read it's got a higher DP. So I hope I have found what I'm after. Guess I'll see what the final step results in!

Is the lacto infection some that just happens randomly or is there some reason or a way to get it?

I've never had one but I heard it gives it a good flavor in the distilate.
A “lacto infection” can occur when exposed to lactobacillus. The bacteria is a “brewery killer” for beer brewers because it is difficult to eliminate once it has set in. Bacterial inoculation can occur when a ferment is exposed to the bacteria from the air, from grains, carried by insects, or from your equipment.

If you ferment in plastic, the bacteria will “hide” in the fibers of the plastic, infecting subsequent fermentation. This makes it nearly impossible to eliminate, even with rigorous sanitization methods. So, once you got it … you’ll have it for the life of the (plastic) fermenter.

Personally, I would never try to get a bacteria infection, but many hobby distillers welcome a lacto infection. It will “sour” your ferment by the production of lactic acid. This creates a sour note to the distiller’s beer, some of which adds a “crisp” note to a spirit that would otherwise be sweet from the high percentage of corn in the recipe (bourbon). But the acids can also help to esterify the alcohol creating a fruity flavor in the spirit, which some distillers prefer.

Considering that the environment holds many “contaminants”, some desirable others not so much, your luck may be rewarded or cursed with wild flora. Typically, I try to eliminate the “gamble” by practicing sanitary protocol while others prefer to “shoot craps”, embracing wild, contaminated fermentations. So, YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:47 am
Sonofliberty75 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 am… I heard that malt corn gives it a earthy taste which is what I'm after. So I decided to malt my own corn and give it a try, and I'm after the earthy grassy corn flavor so I used my malt corn green and I read it's got a higher DP. So I hope I have found what I'm after. Guess I'll see what the final step results in!

Is the lacto infection some that just happens randomly or is there some reason or a way to get it?

I've never had one but I heard it gives it a good flavor in the distilate.
A “lacto infection” can occur when exposed to lactobacillus. The bacteria is a “brewery killer” for beer brewers because it is difficult to eliminate once it has set in. Bacterial inoculation can occur when a ferment is exposed to the bacteria from the air, from grains, carried by insects, or from your equipment.

If you ferment in plastic, the bacteria will “hide” in the fibers of the plastic, infecting subsequent fermentation. This makes it nearly impossible to eliminate, even with rigorous sanitization methods. So, once you got it … you’ll have it for the life of the (plastic) fermenter.

Personally, I would never try to get a bacteria infection, but many hobby distillers welcome a lacto infection. It will “sour” your ferment by the production of lactic acid. This creates a sour note to the distiller’s beer, some of which adds a “crisp” note to a spirit that would otherwise be sweet from the high percentage of corn in the recipe (bourbon). But the acids can also help to esterify the alcohol creating a fruity flavor in the spirit, which some distillers prefer.

Considering that the environment holds many “contaminants”, some desirable others not so much, your luck may be rewarded or cursed with wild flora. Typically, I try to eliminate the “gamble” by practicing sanitary protocol while others prefer to “shoot craps”, embracing wild, contaminated fermentations. So, YMMV.
ss
Thanks for the explanation! I've seen pics of it n stuff but never got one or really knew anything about it. Thanks!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

5 gallons Water
5lbs-Flaked Maize
3.5lbs-Golden Promise
2lbs-Malted Rye
1.5lbs-Peated Malt
1lb-Flaked Wheat
Safale S-04 yeast
I already had the Golden Promise, the adjuncts were $30 which isn’t too bad IMO.
04665709-3288-4E74-B5A8-5CC463311E7B.png
Mashed at 152F stirring occasionally until the iodine looked good. Sparge to 6 gallons. OG 1.066. With my efficiency calculator app I’m at about 75% efficiency. Not my best but not too bad either given the calculator isn’t even close to perfect.
78E14D06-369E-4C91-9F4B-B1CFA3685CA6.png
Wort chilled to 78F and pitched my yeast. Clean up and time for a beer. :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Stout.
1114210900.jpg
1114211043.jpg
Delicious, smoky, wintery stout.
:)
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

I finally did something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time. I’ve made muscadine wine on and off for the last thirty years. My father actually taught me how. I had a great crop this year, and have 4-5 gallons of good red wine.

I found an old carboy from a few years ago, and it still had about 3-4 gallons in it. It hadn’t turned to vinegar, but it had oxidized. I decanted it, and threw it in my pot still. It made an absolutely fantastic brandy/eau de vie. It’s a nice change from UJSSM! :mrgreen:
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Post by Squirrel_Ess_Gen »

1st attempt at AG

12 cracked corn
2lb rolled oats
10lbs sweet potatoes ( some canned some fresh)

In 10 gallons.

Og was 1.030. My mashing may have sucked, used high temp enzymes.

I'm stuck with it but gonna see how it goes.

Just got in how to brew book, and will be refining my process.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Gin run, part of which I will put aside form my next try on an Old Tom Gin.
-- Rrmuf
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

finally stopped raining up here... went out and did a corn mash that had been in the garage for awhile... turned out to be hand sanitizer...not worth drinking at all....uggggg... tomorrow.... set it up again and do the grape juice that's been fermenting....

gg
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

A0147FD6-8707-4CEF-B644-7B0C913FA337.jpeg
8DAE65DF-232A-40F4-8BC1-0CA2FE05EA53.jpeg
Sunday Runday!

Stripping ferment #2 of the melter honey shine ~15gallons. Six week ferment. I’ll re-use all the honey dunder from this strip. About 10 gallons in the next ferment (#3) which I’m starting tonight. 10g honey dunder, 24# melter honey, 8# local honey, nutrients, DAP, D47 starter harvested from first ferment. This strip will net almost 5 gallons of low wines @ about 25%abv. Two spirit runs on the small batch alembic. + 0.5 g honey shine feints on oak from last spirit run.

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Damn Jonny, Every time I see that copper milk can I get green with envy.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Thanks Deplorable! I love how the patina develops on the inside.. Mostly clean & shiny up to the liquid level after a strip then it melds to a dark layer of seasoning - cooked in and bathed in hot ethanol vapors :) ... Well worth it IMO! Stripping run almost 3/4 complete with a small puke - the honey dunder certainly starts to build up after a few recycles (treated each time with calcium hydroxide to get pH into the range that keep the yeasties happy and me too) :)

These low wines smell really very good and strong with honey fragrance..

Two ferment/strips left to complete my initial target on this eight jug honey shine solera series.

Cheers,
j
————
————
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:34 am A0147FD6-8707-4CEF-B644-7B0C913FA337.jpeg8DAE65DF-232A-40F4-8BC1-0CA2FE05EA53.jpeg

Sunday Runday!

Stripping ferment #2 of the melter honey shine ~15gallons. Six week ferment. I’ll re-use all the honey dunder from this strip. About 10 gallons in the next ferment (#3) which I’m starting tonight. 10g honey dunder, 24# melter honey, 8# local honey, nutrients, DAP, D47 starter harvested from first ferment. This strip will net almost 5 gallons of low wines @ about 25%abv. Two spirit runs on the small batch alembic. + 0.5 g honey shine feints on oak from last spirit run.

Cheers,
J
Thanks for the reminder and details about the melter honey.
How would you ferment without any dunder (which would be my situation)?

A local beekeeper visited a group I am in and I was going to ask him about beeswax and also the melter honey.

Geoff
The Baker
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi Geoff, I’ve followed standard straight mead with a Fermaid O staggered nutrient addition. D47 yeast, and SG of 1.070 - 1.090 range. The hiney/melter dunder raises SG so for subsequent ferments so I just use the same weight of honey and eyeball the rest :)

My estimate is 24# melter into a 15g ferment = 1.070 and 32# = 1.090.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Done a rum spirit run in my 30L pot. Added 16L of 30% low wines, 2L bottles of spiced rum I didnt like and 5L of an all molasses wash made with 100% dunder ( I know - It was an an experiment to try and get more flavour without using infected dunder . It was a PITA and took about 6 weeks to ferment out but we'll see if it makes any difference to the final product.) Letting the jars air out for a couple of days before cutting and blending. This will be my last run of the year, hoping to move the still to a new shed in the new year.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Started a batch of Bucanneer Bob's Rum. Need to get a new lid for my 18L stockpot so I can solder a triclamp in place and finally have a still in which I can fit the 10L spirit charge without having to stick my keg on the hob (which has never worked too well).
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm currently 13 hours into a marathon reflux run.
This morning I charged my boiler with 10.5 gallons of feints diluted to 30%. I'm running 1 liter an hour at 95%, and I've got about 2 hours left before I've recovered all the ethanol if my math is correct. So far this is shaping up to be some damn fine vodka.
Diluted to around 35 to 38% its sweet with just a hint of corn. Good clean shine, just in time for Christmas, and plenty of it.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Finished that reflux run this morning at 2:45 AM. 16 hours. Reclaimed a lot of really good booze, sweet with just a hint of corn flavor at 40%. Some of the best vodka I've ever had. I let the jars air while I slept, got up this morning and broke down the still and cleaned up, then sampled the jars at around 35% ABV and made my choices. I put the first 1.4L in the solvent jug on the work bench, the next 600ml went into window cleaner. I took out the middle 750ml jar because it tasted amazing at 40% all by itself. Then I took the last two jars I collected, that tasted like Smirnoff and put them in a bottle as "cheap Vodka". That left me 2.5 gallons for my SS storage. From a 10.5 gallon charge I recovered 3.22 gallons of the available 3.8 gallons of theoretical Etoh before I ran out of jars. After airing overnight, I checked the ABV again this morning, with the spirit at 60.6F and got 94% on my Hydrometer. I'll take that all day.
20211128_114056 (2).jpg
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice run Deplorable and sounds really tasty!

Cheers,
J
————
————