What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by NormandieStill »

Mashed in my third mash of chocolate bourbon. Swapped my original dunder (whisky backset dosed with a little molasses) for the fresh dunder from my first rum wash (I didn't clean out the bucket so the active lacto infection should hopefully take off where it left off!).

Then cleaned out my still. Then cleaned it again. Rum makes a bit of a mess although I wonder if some of that wasn't from the last stripping runs I did. I may have taken the Not Too Clean side of this hobby a little too far. Anyway, it's shiny now with no bits stuck to the inside!

Finally I bottled 11.5L of oatmeal stout (11.5 liters being my current maximum batch size it would appear. I'm really going to have to invest in a larger stockpot if I can't get my hands on another keg.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
WhiskeyRebellion
Novice

Post by WhiskeyRebellion »

UJSSM spirit run. Ended up with 2 /12 gallons of final product after proofing to 110.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Started round two of trying to malt purple barley.
I think I may have drowned it last time, so I made a double bucket setup and did not steep for as long.
Seems to be working so far. little pokers starting out the top of most of the kernels already.
Weird thing is, I've read it's supposed to go up in weight by about 35%.
So 4 oz of barley should increase to 5.4 ounce, but my little 4 oz baggy of dry barley actually increased to 6.2 after just one steeping.
I may have oversteeped it again. Or maybe my weighing process is faulty.
Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smog »

Started a batch of 16kg of white rice in a 50L stock pot. Covered the rice with boiling water than pitched 100g of yellow label yeast when the temperature went down to 32 celcius. It is converting the rice starch and fermenting like crazy.

I also have a 22 lb batch of rice flour in another 10 gallon stock pot fermenting with the yellow label yeast.
Shit I bought but shouldn't have :
1. Amazon 30L pot distiller
2. T-500 reflux column (good product but expensive)
3. Large 60L stock pot + 2" column

Now using 15.5gal KEG + 5500w electric + fully aircooled reflux condensor and product condenser.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Smog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:33 pm Started a batch of 16kg of white rice in a 50L stock pot. Covered the rice with boiling water than pitched 100g of yellow label yeast when the temperature went down to 32 celcius. It is converting the rice starch and fermenting like crazy.

I also have a 22 lb batch of rice flour in another 10 gallon stock pot fermenting with the yellow label yeast.
Ok, I have a bag or rice that I am going to try with yellow label but I was going to steam it, I've been waiting for a time window to do it.

Please keep us updated on how it goes will you please?
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smog »

If you are distilling the resulting wine, you might not need to steam the rice. It is your call ;-)

In my previous batch, the long grain white rice from the supermarket was digested properly by the enzimes in the Angel yeast. I only throw boiling water on top of the rice, mix then wait for the temperature to go down before pitching the yeast.

In this one I am using more rice to see how tolerant to high alcohol percentage the yeast and enzimes are.

The Angel yeast also had no problem digesting then fermenting baker's wheat flour. This stuff is just amazing.

Now using 15.5gal KEG + 5500w electric + fully aircooled reflux condensor and product condenser.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I was pottering in the garden so for kicks and giggles I thought I'd strip the failed BB rum wash that was still sat in a bucket (potassium sorbate in the molasses!). From a 20L wash I got a whopping ~300ml @ 35%! Gonna chuck it straight in the feints and see what it adds when I finally do an all feints run. At least it freed up a fermenter. :D
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

Stripping my first Teddy's FFV today and put another one on yesterday. I have 5 litres of low wines from a TPW sitting waiting for inspiration to take me, so I think the plan is as follows....

Strip the 2 batches of FFV, then run them in my boka. Split out that run and keep say 2 litres from right in the middle of the run to see just how clean a vodka it can give me. The rest, which will be a few litres of 94 ish % can go back through for a third run along with the TPW low wines.

I will then probably turn that into gin.
WhiskeyRebellion
Novice

Post by WhiskeyRebellion »

scorched rum :cry:
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Smog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:57 pm If you are distilling the resulting wine, you might not need to steam the rice. It is your call ;-)

In my previous batch, the long grain white rice from the supermarket was digested properly by the enzimes in the Angel yeast. I only throw boiling water on top of the rice, mix then wait for the temperature to go down before pitching the yeast.

In this one I am using more rice to see how tolerant to high alcohol percentage the yeast and enzimes are.

The Angel yeast also had no problem digesting then fermenting baker's wheat flour. This stuff is just amazing.
How do you like the result spirit from the yellow label? I've saw youtube videos from Jessy in Still-It channel making a spirit with the yellow label.
It looks like the result spirit is nice, but I've heard people from here saying that the taste is awful... So I do had the yellow label ready, but i'm hesitant...
Which rice would you suggest to use? Basmati, perfumed, or the cheapest available?

Evil_Dark
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Evil_Dark wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm
Smog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:57 pm If you are distilling the resulting wine, you might not need to steam the rice. It is your call ;-)

How do you like the result spirit from the yellow label? I've saw youtube videos from Jessy in Still-It channel making a spirit with the yellow label.
It looks like the result spirit is nice, but I've heard people from here saying that the taste is awful... So I do had the yellow label ready, but i'm hesitant...
Which rice would you suggest to use? Basmati, perfumed, or the cheapest available?

My understanding is you use a short grain, not a long grain rice. There have been some posts on this in another thread, I don't have it to hand but search for yellow label
Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smog »

Evil_Dark wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm It looks like the result spirit is nice, but I've heard people from here saying that the taste is awful... So I do had the yellow label ready, but i'm hesitant...
The fermented wine tasted good but because I am refluxing the sh!t out of it, the taste is very neutral after a single distillation through a packed 3" x 60" column.

And I use the cheapest rice I can find. Last batch was long grain @ $1usd per kg of rice.

Can't easily get short grain rice in my area.

Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smog »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:31 pm
My understanding is you use a short grain, not a long grain rice. There have been some posts on this in another thread, I don't have it to hand but search for yellow label
Rice Flour works fine too.

Sure you might get a bit more alcohol per kg of short grain rice but at what cost ?

Nothing is black or white....

" you save electricity by using a heat pump to heat your house but when you are factoring in the cost of changing the heat pump every 10 to 12 years, are you really saving money ? "

Just throw more of the cheap long grain rice in the mash and call it a day.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Playing hooky today, and ran some errands. Picked up another 30 gallon food grade barrel for a 2nd fermenter, and 100# of corn meal. Both of these previously held probiotic powder. The one of the left I've used about 6 or 7 times now. The one on the right will be christened this weekend with a HBB mash.
Twins.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made another 64 litres of TFFVodka.
He really did make it too easy.🍻Teddy
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Rum lots and lots ...
Drunken_Gringo
Novice

Post by Drunken_Gringo »

Four gallon spirit run of my first AG attempts.
Last night I went to bed with a buzz. Dreamed I was drinking, I woke up and I was.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Strpping HBB. Then tomorrow I'll start another mash of the same for a full boiler charge on the spirit run.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well, I'm feeling ambitious, and I got time tonight, so I got the still cleaned and I'm starting a 2nd mash of HBB. I figure I can leave the barrel wrapped all night and let the corn get really happy, and by morning it'll be ready to add the malts. My wife gave me "the look" when I told her I was gonna mash tomorrow since she wants to go do things together. So, I figured I might as well get it done tonight and free up tomorrow.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made another 23 litres of TFFV
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

2 25l batches of TTFV, one with Angel Yeast, the other with Bakers Yeast.

One 25l batch of rice with angel yeast.

Its coming into citrus season so I need neutral for limoncello.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I tempered down a bottle of single malt. Does that count?
I also de-winterized my trailer for the summer and did a roof inspection and whatnot.

Oh, and I ordered more malts for more HBB
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I finished making a new lyne arm and shotgun condenser this weekend :D
SG CONDENSER #77 - C.jpg
All the little details can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55608&start=390#p7703994
Danishe
Novice

Post by Danishe »

I pitched the yeast in a potato vodka with malted barley that I mashed yesterday before I went to bed and then I've been mashing up an apple Brandy mash today with fresh apples and some apple juice from the supermarket. Nothing big, just trying a couple of recipes :D
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made 23 litre of wine to make brandy when its done
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Stripped 11 gal of rum wash last night. Three gallons of 32% low wines in the carboy, two more strips to do.
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

A slightly cheating effort today, a wash made of Pale Ale LME. I have a 10 litre barrel to fill so need to get some whisky on the go and a mate who runs a brewery got me the LME for a decent price.
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

And decided I had the neccessary time to strip a batch of Teddy's FFV.... Pleasing.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

80lb. Golden Graham malt
10 lb rolled oats
35 gallons hot tap water

Mix in two fermenters WITH BIAB. Around 125*F

Long mash rest for enzymes to work while we visit some relatives.

Will pitch a combination of rehydrated Fleishman’s, DADY, and small amount of Yellow Label. As the ferment progresses the different yeast each have slightly different abilities to ferment as their environment changes.

If all goes well this will be strip and spirit run through my pot still.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I made 46 litres of TFFV