What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windswept
Swill Maker

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Windswept »

Stripped out 20 gallons of mead to get about 5 gallons of low wines, going to do the spirit run tomorrow.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:04 pm Then I got inspiredand made a couple pints of peach pie.
Resized_20200815_195959.jpeg
I saw that pic and had to make some too it's super tasty
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Windswept wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:14 pm Stripped out 20 gallons of mead to get about 5 gallons of low wines, going to do the spirit run tomorrow.
Whoa! Most expensive hooch ever? I hope it turns out awesome!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:46 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:04 pm Then I got inspiredand made a couple pints of peach pie.
Resized_20200815_195959.jpeg
I saw that pic and had to make some too it's super tasty
Yeah, but you have to be careful with the cinimon stick it or will quickly overpower the peach, and you'll end up with fireball with a hint of peach.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Post by Squirrel_Ess_Gen »

Experimented with Cracked corn and powdered Amalsyze (high temp stuff is on order)

10lbs in what ended up 7 gallons with a gravity of 1.030......I know its low. I'll mention that I started the project late in the evening so yeah things were not efficent. I was sleeping with Temps dropped to 155F ish so I had to reheat

I learned a sticky lesson.

Edit: and then comes the easy large batch mashing thread....experience is the best teacher, even if its s offl someone else's experience :clap:
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Did you grind the corn? Finer grind increases efficiency. If it was heated to gelatinization temp, no need to reheat and you may have denatured the amylase since it wasn't hi temp. How warm when you added amylase?
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Doing a stripping run for a second batch of peated single malt. I did a little experiment with mash temp on these. Same recipe only changed the mash temp. My hypothesis is that mashing on the high end is enough to kill off most of the lacto without denaturing enzymes.

First one was 145F second batch was 155f. Both started at 1.060 and ended at 1.002. The low mash temp batch had significant lacto activity and needed a calcium carbonate addition to adjust pH. The yeast slowed down quite a bit. The higher mash temp batch had no noticeable lacto activity and fermented out in 4 days.

I'm going to repeat this a few times to confirm it wasn't a fluke.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

30 gallon wineos wash fermenting
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

seabass wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:56 am First one was 145F second batch was 155f. Both started at 1.060 and ended at 1.002.
I just did one that was right in the middle of those temperatures and I only saw signs of a lacto at the end of fermentation. The yield was definitely low though. Got a lot less out of my stripping runs than I'd have liked.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

SaltyStaves wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:06 pm
seabass wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:56 am First one was 145F second batch was 155f. Both started at 1.060 and ended at 1.002.
I just did one that was right in the middle of those temperatures and I only saw signs of a lacto at the end of fermentation. The yield was definitely low though. Got a lot less out of my stripping runs than I'd have liked.
You think it was from a higher FG from higher mash temp or something else?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

seabass wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm You think it was from a higher FG from higher mash temp or something else?
Had to passively cool it overnight due to water restrictions in my area, so I think the infection got out in front of the yeast. It just didn't show any signs or smell until the morning I ran it.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Had to try making some panty dropper.
20200830_172617.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Post by Squirrel_Ess_Gen »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:55 am Did you grind the corn? Finer grind increases efficiency. If it was heated to gelatinization temp, no need to reheat and you may have denatured the amylase since it wasn't hi temp. How warm when you added amylase?
Corn was not ground up.

I used a 10gallon cooler as a mashtun with a spigot and poured boiling water on the cracked corn Watching youtube had me thinking that a stainless water heater jacket connected at the bottom would provide good flow thru the spigot......it dosen't. So I had to scoop liquid from the top and gradually rewarm.

I didnt add the amylase untill the whole meas was 154-155. It thinned out pretty good and noticeable.

I did buy a grinder just for this purpose but did not use it.

I'll see how this tiny experiment comes out and give it a go again using the large batch method. The short amount of time rewarming the already cooked corn and i can see how easy it is to scorch.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NZChris wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:03 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:47 pm Thank you! Just a quick question, did you use your own brandy?
I've been eyeing off the 4l casks at Aldi with a view to trying to make my own brandy or even Grappa.
As long as the flavors are a match rather than a clash, pot stilled brandy and grappa and sugar washes made on the leftovers from making wine, brandy and grappa can be useful base spirits for a variety of drinks that you will often read should be made from highly rectified neutral spirits.
Thanks NZ!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

DSmith78 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:27 pm Put 25l of red wine to brew for my first attempt at grappa.
Let me know how that goes will ya?
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:48 am
DSmith78 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:27 pm Put 25l of red wine to brew for my first attempt at grappa.
Let me know how that goes will ya?
Will do! I bought my first bottle of grappa at the weekend so I had some basis for comparison... really interesting drink! Definitely in a world of its own.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

Starting my first all molasses stripping run. Got a little lacto infection before the end of fermentation, but most of sugars already fermented. Lets go!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Wineos low wines then spirit run today with another 30 gallon on the way to stripping for neutral run
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Single Malt spirit run. Unpeated for a change.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A bottle of gin using my latest toy, a secondhand 3l copper alembic. I should make a small alcohol burner for it so that I can fire it using my heads.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

50 galloms of corn and oats mashed using enzymes. Gonna strip it today and add it to my all corn low wines then finally have enough to do a spirit run!
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Spirit run on an evaporated cane juice experiment.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Started a kale wash mixed with beet plant.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Spirit run for peated single malt. 2gal is going in a badmo barrel and about 1.5gal in some jars with 2nd use charred oak.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

16L of gin getting run.
20200903_175707.jpg
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Did 2 strip runs of that Strawberry ferment that took close to 2 months to finish, got enough low wines to do a spirit run in the morning and this should give the panty dropper a good run for it's money
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I put a bunch of charred oak staves into a half gallon jar and filled it up with Shiraz. In October I'm going to finish some bourbon and evaporated cane juice rum and some Hampden Estate DOK on the staves for a month or so.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Made a SMASH and piggy backed. the grain for a faux irish whiskey sugar head
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Made cuts on an evaporated cane juice rum. More agricole rhum than rum for sure. Very light in aroma and flavor.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Stripping batch 2 of high rye bourbon. Starting the sugarhead and starting the mash for batch 3.

I used backset in batch 2, it's very spicy. Like a Belgian strong ale. Smells great. I noticed the lag time was longer, added some oyster shells thinking it may have been a ph issue and it finished out like normal.

Not sure where the spiciness came from but I like it! Hopefully some of that ends up in the spirit. I did bump the temp faster than normal, earlier in the fermentation than normal so maybe it spent more time at a higher temp?
Last edited by tombombadil on Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.