What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Honest_Liberty »

oksofar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:21 am still.jpg
Simple corn and barley. Been using four sections of the Mile Hi for washes, but just two for this mash. Lots of barley in the finish, but not much corn flavor. For the next time, I'll run without any plates inside, pot style, to keep more flavor.
Is that a 4" column reduced to a 3" shotgun condenser? It looks like 3" but I'm certain that's 2".
Please pardon my confusion here
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

After reading a link supplied by Howie, https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7660723, I made up a sample of oaked gin using my 5* strength gin essence blended with some eight year old Whiskey for the oak. it's only a small sample because I didn't expect it to be all that great, but it's surprisingly good.

Who was it that said that gin has to be made using high quality neutral?
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:10 pm
oksofar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:21 am still.jpg
Simple corn and barley. Been using four sections of the Mile Hi for washes, but just two for this mash. Lots of barley in the finish, but not much corn flavor. For the next time, I'll run without any plates inside, pot style, to keep more flavor.
Is that a 4" column reduced to a 3" shotgun condenser? It looks like 3" but I'm certain that's 2".
Please pardon my confusion here
Yes, the shotgun condenser is 2", and it works fine. The dephlag is 4". Its the standard setup on the Mile Hi web page for stainless steel flute still:
16-Gallon-Stainless-4-Inch-Mile-Hi-Flute-4-Sections.jpg
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Nice I really like those guys.

What would you say is your average output per hour on a strip run running as strong as you can
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Doing cuts on my Gin run from yesterday. Looks like I will end up with 11 liters @45%. :-)
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

NZChris wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:26 pm After reading a link supplied by Howie, https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7660723, I made up a sample of oaked gin using my 5* strength gin essence blended with some eight year old Whiskey for the oak. it's only a small sample because I didn't expect it to be all that great, but it's surprisingly good.

Who was it that said that gin has to be made using high quality neutral?
That is an interesting approach! Well done!
-- Rrmuf
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Making a gallon of single malt
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

First official spirit run of Booner's.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:40 am First official spirit run of Booner's.
Nice I'm sure u will enjoy it I did
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 am What would you say is your average output per hour on a strip run running as strong as you can
I have not run a strip on this still yet, because I just haven't needed to. First time through yields crystal clear hooch, even running just two plates. I run slow, and keep the boiler below 200 until getting to tails. I fill a half-quart mason jar in 20 minutes when everything is equalized.

For my next 15 gallon mash (currently fermenting), I'll be running a strip, though, without any plates or dephlag - true pot style. I'll put a straight tube packed with copper mesh instead. I'll time the output and post a pic of the setup.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

oksofar wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 am
Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 am What would you say is your average output per hour on a strip run running as strong as you can
I have not run a strip on this still yet, because I just haven't needed to. First time through yields crystal clear hooch, even running just two plates. I run slow, and keep the boiler below 200 until getting to tails. I fill a half-quart mason jar in 20 minutes when everything is equalized.

For my next 15 gallon mash (currently fermenting), I'll be running a strip, though, without any plates or dephlag - true pot style. I'll put a straight tube packed with copper mesh instead. I'll time the output and post a pic of the setup.
thank you!
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

just fired up the 35% low wines spirit run of Booners casual at 2pm Mountain. 4.75 gallons in a 16 gallon Brewhaus potstill. fully packed 2' copper scrubber in column.

EDIT: WOW! I took a sip of jar 7, each collecting about 325ml. proof is 160. my goodness. I cannot wait to blend this. I am definitely making conservative cuts on this to drink white.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

I'm with ya Honest Liberty. I always did a corn and barley malt recipe to keep white, until I tried Booners. I think I like that all corn better.
Plain ole pot rig.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

One gallon of jimbos ag method barley
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Just ordered 32 pounds of Bavarian wheat lme cant wait to run it and mix it with my 2 row
wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck »

Stripped 5gal of 4th gen UJSSM. Pretty tasty!
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Just finished mixing up some Blueberry Panty Dropper.
20210319_143218.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I made a glass of laphroaig quarter cask...if that counts
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Awhile back (2/20/2021) did my first all Booner's Corn, good gravity reading SG was 1.075 ended at .998... So...
Corn-Squeezin-2021.jpg
Today was the day to do some corn squeezing... Let er clear up a bit, and add the cleared to the main boiler, add the solids (what was left after squeezing the "juice" out of the corn) into the thumper.
This smells awesome, from the reviews it should turn out an awesome spirit.

Stay Safe and Have Fun!
BlackStrap
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck »

Stripped ANOTHER 5 gal of UJSSM.
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

IMG_0098 (1).jpg
Stripped 15 gallons of a corn and barley mash. Ran the Mile Hi flute still in full pot mode; even added a section filled with copper mesh. Temps stabilized at 205 for the pot, and 200 up top. Steady stream runs began at an astounding (for me) 1000ml in 11 minutes at 50% ABV. Much faster, but also much lower ABV than full flute column mode. Monday, I'll re-run in pot mode, and sample the product.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

oksofar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:34 pm IMG_0098 (1).jpgStripped 15 gallons of a corn and barley mash. Ran the Mile Hi flute still in full pot mode; even added a section filled with copper mesh. Temps stabilized at 205 for the pot, and 200 up top. Steady stream runs began at an astounding (for me) 1000ml in 11 minutes at 50% ABV. Much faster, but also much lower ABV than full flute column mode. Monday, I'll re-run in pot mode, and sample the product.
Nice rig
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Helped out with the finishing work on the lodge remodel. Seems all the lodges in our district are taking advantage of the closure and updating their lodges. Then I picked up 20# of rye malt and 3 bags of BRM, weighed out grains and bagged them for three 25 gallon bourbon mashes, and took the wife out for some wine tasting.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Stripped a batch of agave/sugar wash. Hoping this one comes out as tasty as the previous!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

IMG_20210321_134416500.jpg
Today is spring cleaning for me. I got way behind on distilling and did way too much mashing so this weekend I'm trying to get everything at least stripped because I have some that's been sitting for well over a month and various mixtures that I can't remember what they are due to my poor record keeping.
Pictured above is mixtures of feints, leftover mash, stale beer, wine and weird girly drinks that were to nasty to drink. It will be my last stripping run of the day and then I might do another spirit run although I stayed up till 2 a.m. last night because my spirit run took too long so I may hold off until another weekend. In a couple weeks from now I'm going to have another go at booners casual all corn but this time I'm going to boil the L out of the corn to see if I can get more alcohol out of it.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

This first batch of mixed mess has a ton of alcohol in it it started coming out at 78% and I'm trying to strip it down to having low lines at about 35% but I I'm getting impatient because I've never had a stripping run go this long and have this much alcohol.
Also for all the nasty stuff I put in there its got some really interesting flavor. I can't wait to run the batch of pink stuff because it's base is the same as what I'm running right now but it's got added watermelon and strawberry drinks and various beers and stuff so it'll have even more strange flavors that will be interesting to see what comes over in the distillate.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I'm on the pink run now. I just tasted a few drops of the heads on my tongue and it has a definite watermelon flavor. I guess the artificial watermelon flavor comes over in the distillate. It's going to be interesting to see what the spirit run is like on this.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Zeotropic wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:01 pm I'm on the pink run now. I just tasted a few drops of the heads on my tongue and it has a definite watermelon flavor. I guess the artificial watermelon flavor comes over in the distillate. It's going to be interesting to see what the spirit run is like on this.
I found that when I ran some lime cello that was a bit bitter, got a beautiful subtle lime flavour in my "neutral".

Am trying to work out if I can use it as a gin base.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

CoogeeBoy wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:01 pm I'm on the pink run now. I just tasted a few drops of the heads on my tongue and it has a definite watermelon flavor. I guess the artificial watermelon flavor comes over in the distillate. It's going to be interesting to see what the spirit run is like on this.
I found that when I ran some lime cello that was a bit bitter, got a beautiful subtle lime flavour in my "neutral".

Am trying to work out if I can use it as a gin base.
That sounds pleasant.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Durhommer wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:10 pm I made a glass of laphroaig quarter cask...if that counts
yes, yes it does. I'm so happy to hear that btw