What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Bradster68 »

bitter wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:21 pm Spun up a 200L teddy sadd ffv.

Be good to have for testing spp as its clean now just need to do sac run with the 4l of 95 percent forshot and heads I kept for this.

B
Very nice.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

FFV was going yesterday in no time.. Full cap this morning..
ffv.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Did my first honey bear bourbon. It's bubbling aggressively. 🍻
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bitter wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:56 am FFV was going yesterday in no time.. Full cap this morning..
ffv.jpg
I'd love to get a batch this big going. I just got my food grade barrel. I'm nervous about doing such a large batch and have it stall. Any info or issues would be greatly appreciated. Either publicly or privately.
🍻
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:24 am
I'd love to get a batch this big going. I just got my food grade barrel. I'm nervous about doing such a large batch and have it stall. Any info or issues would be greatly appreciated. Either publicly or privately.
🍻
This will be my 3rd 200L Teddy Sadd FFV and all of them so far been done in less than 5 days. The one I left a bit longer as coudl nto run and it went down to .980 I normally run when gets to .990

I do it in the cool in my basement as a bigger ferment can warm up alot when getting going and cause issues. Was upto 84F last night.. I have set to 80F to be nice clean with bakers and still fast.

B
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bitter wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:59 am
🍻
This will be my 3rd 200L Teddy Sadd FFV and all of them so far been done in less than 5 days. The one I left a bit longer as coudl nto run and it went down to .980 I normally run when gets to .990

I do it in the cool in my basement as a bigger ferment can warm up alot when getting going and cause issues. Was upto 84F last night.. I have set to 80F to be nice clean with bakers and still fast.

B
I always use bakers. And my fermenting room is about 70 right now. I'm guessing that's OK? Would 50 gallons generate an extra 15 degree of heat? If so I got another room 60 to 65.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Problem is if too cold once initial spike you need heat to keep warm enough
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:12 am
🍻

B
I always use bakers. And my fermenting room is about 70 right now. I'm guessing that's OK? Would 50 gallons generate an extra 15 degree of heat? If so I got another room 60 to 65.
Many ale yeasts would be happy at 60-65.
Might also produce a cleaner fermentation.
Nottingham is my favorite "neutral" ale yeast.
If you can't swallow the price difference, start with one packet and make a starter.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

tombombadil wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:30 am
Bradster68 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:12 am
🍻

B
Many ale yeasts would be happy at 60-65.
Might also produce a cleaner fermentation.
Nottingham is my favorite "neutral" ale yeast.
If you can't swallow the price difference, start with one packet and make a starter.
I read that a lot of people using ale for this temperature range. I know some are using for whiskeys and bourbon and getting great results. Next time I'm in town I'll be grabbing some for sure. It's usually very warm so I use the bakers. But come different season I'll be moving my fermentables to cooler zone.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Limemcello
Blackberry maceration
:D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Wayside Loop
Novice

Post by Wayside Loop »

Ran a 4th generation UJSSM that is CROW flavored. It was very rye heavy coming off the spout, probably because the corn is starting to be spent from the 1st generation ferment. All in all, it is very good and I look forward to seeing how it turns out on the oak.

Next up, starting a sweet feed ferment tonight for the first time.
“There is no spoon”

-Some little kid in some movie
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made 5 gallons SBB all molly rum.And 10 gallons TFFVodka.🍻.And I forgot made 5 gallons of the honey bear bourbon last week. Just have to spirit run it now. My garage smelled like a fruit orchard as the bag hung to drain into the pot still. Must have been the honey malt?
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Stripping 135L of Corn Meal, Rye Flour and rolled Oats
FMG that Rye is glue!
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Made a 6 gallon batch of Russian imperial stout so it can age a bit for next winters drinking. May put some used oak sticks in some before bottling.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

subbrew wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:10 pm Made a 6 gallon batch of Russian imperial stout so it can age a bit for next winters drinking. May put some used oak sticks in some before bottling.
Next time sparge a second 5 gallons through the grains, and/or a piggy back on the grains UJ style. Ferment, strip spirit, then age 6 months. Enjoy a matching stout whiskey with the beer. Best Boiler Maker you ever had :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Bottled ginger beer. 2gal trial. K1v1116.
2.75lbs sugar
2 lemons
Ginger to taste(heaps for me) until it lights up your mouth
Pinch of nutrients
1 Hawaiian Chilli pepper
Primed/backsweetened w/ 11oz sugar and more ginger.
Bottling w/ 16 Oz bottles, last one had only 14 oz and i polished it without haste. Beautiful spice and to my surprise, not too sweet. We'll see once carbonated.

Also may have put together something to the effect of:
4.4lbs corn
2lbs 2 row
1lbs American white wheat
11oz castle Belgian pale
5oz American rye
And a melange of pure Idaho, brumalt, halcyon, pearl, oat, and pure Washington at a few Oz each.
Per 4-4.5gal. Mmmmmm, hypothetically. 8)
A, um, uh, thought exercise for backset that could be used for something with some darker specialty malts.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

juana_b wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:53 am Bottled ginger beer. 2gal trial. K1v1116.
2.75lbs sugar
2 lemons
Pinch of nutrients
1 Hawaiian Chilli pepper
Bottling w/ 16 Oz bottles, last one had only 14 oz and i polished it without haste. Beautiful spice and to my surprise, not too sweet. We'll see once carbonated.

4.4lbs corn
2lbs 2 row
11oz castle Belgian pale
5oz American rye
And a melange of pure Idaho, brumalt, halcyon, pearl, oat, and pure Washington at a few Oz each.
A, um, uh, thought exercise for backset that could be used for something with some darker specialty malts.
I think my wife has been bitten by the bug also. She's now started making ginger beer and it's amazing. Has a heavy ginger tastes and well carbonated.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

juana_b wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:53 am Bottled ginger beer. 2gal trial. K1v1116.
2.75lbs sugar
2 lemons
Pinch of nutrients
1 Hawaiian Chilli pepper

4.4lbs corn
2lbs 2 row
11oz castle Belgian pale
5oz American rye
Have you ever "primed/backsweetened" like this before? Aren't you going to end up with bottle bombs?
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

tombombadil wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 am Have you ever "primed/backsweetened" like this before? Aren't you going to end up with bottle bombs?
Yes.
And yes, if I don't pasteurize or cold crash in time.
― Charles Ives
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

juana_b wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:08 am
tombombadil wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 am Have you ever "primed/backsweetened" like this before? Aren't you going to end up with bottle bombs?
Yes.
And yes, if I don't pasteurize or cold crash in time.
Oh, ok, that makes sense.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

looking for a solution to our runaway condenser water temps, I've put this together. 3 ton condenser stripped of everything but the coil. It'll be after the condenser and before the chiller. Just to try and strip some heat before it hits the chiller. I have to keep the amp draw low, so using a fart fan. Put an air bleed at the high point. Flow restrictions should be minimal at most. The worst it can do is take up space. If performance is lacking, I can put a larger fan or grab a 5 ton coil from our scrap yard.
3.jpg
― Charles Ives
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Stripped 25 gals of single malt today

Stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Setting up now to make what may well be my last mash for a couple years. I'm trying to get a domestic temporary assignment at work that will have me living in my RV 3 hours from home for the next couple years before I retire.
A sacrifice I'll gladly make given the significance of the financial windfall that comes with the assignment.
And when I come back from the assignment, I'll have a 5 gallon barrel of HBB waiting for me.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Things to do when wife has a girls weekend

Friday: First spirit run of pot stilled TFFV.

Saturday: 23L Batch of extract Pale Ale in the fermenter.

Sunday: Kicked off first attempt at a rum wash.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Deplorable wrote:Setting up now to make what may well be my last mash for a couple years. I'm trying to get a domestic temporary assignment at work that will have me living in my RV 3 hours from home for the next couple years before I retire.
A sacrifice I'll gladly make given the significance of the financial windfall that comes with the assignment.
And when I come back from the assignment, I'll have a 5 gallon barrel of HBB waiting for me.
Hope the angels aren't too thirsty Deplorable!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:11 am
Deplorable wrote:Setting up now to make what may well be my last mash for a couple years. I'm trying to get a domestic temporary assignment at work that will have me living in my RV 3 hours from home for the next couple years before I retire.
Hope the angels aren't too thirsty Deplorable!
No kidding! On the bright side, I'll only be 3 hours from home by car and can come home on the weekends. But with gas prices soaring, it won't be a frequent folly. So, I'll be able to come home, and move it to glass storage.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Spirit running my HBBourbon.
WhiskeyRebellion
Novice

Post by WhiskeyRebellion »

Spirit run for my rye whiskey today
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Spirit run on my single malt, the added peated barley malt is showing nicely

Stay safe
OVZ
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Did a spirit run on a rum.

10g blackstrap molasses, 30g water, boiled bread yeast for, Epsom salt, 5l stir plate Hornindal Yeast starter, fermented down to 1.03,

Turned in to 13g low wines at 24%
2g keepers at 58%,
4ish gallons of feints.

Seems like a low yield. Tastes and smells great though.

I was hoping to get around 6 gallons to fill and top off a 5 gallon barrel from 20g molasses, 2 runs on my setup.

Maybe I was too narrow with my cuts?
I'm going to re-run the feints, see if I can get a few more acceptable jars out of the feints.

If not, I'll be picking up 10 more gallons of molasses for a third run.

No big deal I guess...