What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Jimbo »

he's going to mail you a couple purple balls? :shock:

I soak used sticks of Charred Oak in sherry and Chianti and drop them in the barrel of my 5 Grain triple wood it's one of the 3 woods
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

Jimbo's got so much going on he needs triple wood! Obviously purple balls are not his problem...
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

My Bucking Birdwheater sat in the fermenting bucket for about 1 month. It was completely cleared but it never got lower than 1.010 :( I stripped the 5 gallons through my pot still and ended up with just under 2 liters of low wines + about a liter of feints. I started another 5 gallon batch of the same recipe which is in its 3rd day of fermenting. I plan to make and strip a total three 5-gallon batches before doing one big spirit run. I want to see what 2X distilled produces. (Normally I would throw the low wines in with the next stripping run for a 1.5X distillation).
Those who stay...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Why do you separate low wines and feints of low wines?? Only thing you should pull from a stripper run is a little bit of fores.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Two reasons:
1) I like to collect a lot of feints so I can make lots of vodka and gin. I have a lot of people who want it, most especially me.
2) I wanted to keep just the best for the spirit run.
Those who stay...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Define best. Piles of flavors in them feints. Be careful or you'll make a thin whiskey. I'd recommend keeping feints off the the spirit run after making you whiskey cuts.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Thanks Jimbo. I'll do that.
Those who stay...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

NP. You can go deep on the spirit to collect all the good feints.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Normally I do the 1.5 distillation with my low wines (other than the very heart, which I jar and age). I'd add everything but the fores and smelly, cloudy tails to the next stripping run. This time, I want to do a true Twice Distilled, even though this is technically a sugarhead. I've only been doing this a year and a half so I'm still experimenting and learning. I appreciate your input.
Those who stay...
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Just finished a 5-1/2 hr spirit run out of my 5 gal Pot still. This is the 4th gen UJSSM. Wow it is really getting better. I actually had my charge right at 40% which was a first for me. I also did NOT use any heads from the stripping runs. I have a gallon and a half of heads and am going to keep saving them til I have about 3 gallons and will run them separate with a few low wines to knock down the ABV. I am curious how that will turn out with 4th and 5th gen heads. Get to do cuts tomorrow with my coffee and the birds singing.
It is getting hot enough in my well house that I cant let them breathe for a full 48 hours because the angels will get too BIG a share.
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

Today I made a raspberry infused chicken scratch whiskey 8)
Beautiful, rich red colour an it smell great :thumbup:
Going to try it with ginger ale this afternoon, I need to wait for my wife to get back, shouldn't drink alone they say :mrgreen:
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Just put 7# of home malted white wheat in the smoker with some beech wood. Also have 20# corn that is malting. Gonna do a beech smoked wheated corn malt bourbon.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Sounds good Jed, I have 10lbs of corn malted & another 10lbs malting now. I'm gonna brew up a new recipe Saturday night. Plaincrazy, how'd that raspberry infused likker taste?
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

firewater69 wrote:Sounds good Jed, I have 10lbs of corn malted & another 10lbs malting now. I'm gonna brew up a new recipe Saturday night. Plaincrazy, how'd that raspberry infused likker taste?
Depending on how the smoke wheat malt tastes I might smoke half the corn malt also.
big help
Dunder
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I gotta build me another smoker, I sure miss it.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

firewater69 wrote:I gotta build me another smoker, I sure miss it.
"One smoker, to rule them all..." I will build this, at our new house... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1304 ... nstruction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
9bc686f6fc22971ead0b3e0121d9b50f.jpg
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Ky that is flippin outstanding looking. Makes my fridge smoker look like shit. But it works.
big help
Dunder
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

smoking the grains eh? ...sounds pretty cool...
double cool to those last few flavours mentioned...very complex shit

..im running a 100% corn mash (corn flakes, corn meal and cracked..a bit of sugar in my five gal. the mash tasted very sour. the smell was close to questionable. But let me tell ya: it tastes great and im at a L and its still 65%. i usually only get those numbers with rum so im happy.
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

The KYChemist wrote:"One smoker, to rule them all..." I will build this, at our new house... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1304 ... nstruction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Wow, thanks for the link, what a great build thread, I see a new hobby coming up....
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Gonna have to build a new smoker. Mine just went up in flames with 7# of wheat malt inside it. Not sure if it will be fixable but after seeing the one kychemist posted I want a similiar one.
big help
Dunder
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Sorry for your loss Jed :cry: , and KY,that is one badass smoker, thanks for sharing!
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

No thanks needed, for that which I would readily do, for any friend. Its all about sharing ideas and helping further the cause. I actually found that on Pinterest.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by aquavita »

I made a pile of Oat goo - SMOP

I like the process so much, I even tried it again.

What a pain. Smells great - ferment took off so hard I had to remove a gallon of goo just to keep it tamed.

GB was 3lbs Malted Red Wheat and 10 lbs of Old Fashioned Oats to 6 gallons of water... Using enzymes.

No idea as to how this will work, but I blame Costco - 10lb boxes of Quaker just sitting there...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Wheat and Corn.

50lb/20lb. Like an inverse bourbon I guess. BackasswardsBourbon. Whatever, it'l drink just fine.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Jimbo wrote:Wheat and Corn.

50lb/20lb. Like an inverse bourbon I guess. BackasswardsBourbon. Whatever, it'l drink just fine.
I made the same ratio last year. Made a damn tasty drop.
big help
Dunder
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I made an avatar... If I can turn corn into whiskey, then surely I can figger out how to make an avatar. Yep I gotter dun !!!

Slainte !!
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Lime Rum! Whoo hooo... Weather's getting nice and I need something to go with all this flippin sunshine. Actually I did a spirit run on it a couple weekends ago. Since then I've added a little simple syrup and have been gradually adding an organic lime extract until it tastes perfect. This is going to be a great summer!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

well shit neighbor. what say some camp fire action at Jimbo's soon. bring some that sunshine lime shine
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Ya know, that sounds like a real good idea! I'm sure I can make some business up your way soon. I'll be leaving ifor Hell Kansas for a weeks or so around mid April.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

DFitz wrote:Lime Rum! Whoo hooo...
Oh, dear, I don't need that kind of encouragement right now. I had a couple Stone "Enjoy By 4/20"'s with lunch today, and I've had 2 limes macerating in a quart of rum for quite a while now, ala GAflatwoods, and that jar needs a good lookin' in on right about now...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...