What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Tummydoc »

Hopefully Bryan meant ready to cool and add the malt. You could convert it with liquid enzymes still if youve got some.
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

After the last 3 months of UJSSM I thought I would have a try at all grain. Added 3Kg of fine cracked corn to 16 litres of boiling water, simmered for half an hour then let it sit while I toasted 500g of rolled oats in the oven.

After a couple of hours the temp had dropped to 80C I cooled to 70C and tipped it into my cooler adding another 2 litres cold water to get temp to 65C. Then added the toasted oats, 1.5Kg ale malt and 250g honey malt, stirred it in added a sachet of alfa amylase for insurance and let it sit overnight.

In the morning it was still 45C when I did the iodine test which showed good but not complete conversion. Gravity was 1070 but still needed volume to be topped up. Added 8 litres cold water which brought the temp down to 35C and volume to 29 litres but gravity dropped to 1030, a bit low I was hoping for 1050. In the end I mixed up 1Kg sugar with 1 litre water which brought the OG up to 1050 so I threw in some bread yeast and shut the lid.

An hour later all the grain was sitting on top and its bubbling away like crazy. Now the temp has risen to 39C. Its the first time I have fermented in a cooler but my gen 12 UJSSM still has a couple of days to finish in the fermenter.

Looking back there are things I could have done better, I guess thats the learning process.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Jimbos Ag with 2row malt
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Just got done with a run of apple cider. Jars are airing out...

Going for a calvados!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Chill-Stillin
Novice

Post by Chill-Stillin »

Just finished a stripping run of an all jaggery ferment. What was special for me this time was that the yeast used was a wild yeast that I harvested from some pieces of cane I picked up from the farm where I get the jaggery! It worked beautifully.
I just split the cane, threw some in the blender and put it in a container with some jaggery water (very low sg) a dash of dap and kept feeding it jaggery water, after a couple days I split it into two containers, kept feeding it and some dashes of dap till I felt that it was enough for a 20 liter wash.
Though even for the final wash i started with a very low sg (thx HD) and fed it a kilo of jaggery a day till I ended up with 4.3 kilos of jaggery in just under 20 litres total volume. It fermented to a hair above 1. so I was happy with that. I kept some wash to add to the low wines from the stripping run and will run a 1.5 slow spirit run. The smell from the strip run was delicious, even the tails were very different to my previous experiences (using bakers yeast.)
The only difference being the wild yeast. I hope the final product will be noticeably different from the ones I have made using bakers yeast!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That's an interesting project, Chill-Stillin. Please keep us posted.

I'm guessing your jaggery is made traditionally over fire, not industrially under vacuum, in which case I envy you.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stripped the first 10 gallons of a 23 gallon mash of Jimbo's single malt. The squeezin's need a day or two to settle out the yeasty trub.
Got sent home from work for a COVID-19 exposure, so I figured I'd make the best of the paid time off.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Chill-Stillin
Novice

Post by Chill-Stillin »

NZChris wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 pm
I'm guessing your jaggery is made traditionally over fire, not industrially under vacuum, in which case I envy you.
Yes it is made in huge steel wok like things and the fire is fueled with the sugarcane waste.
Am running the 1.5 spirit run now
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

2 rum ferments have been finished for about a week, today I added 2.5-3 gallons of old dunder to each and will let sit another week before stripping. The ferments were very fruity smelling, the dunder was heavy and smelled like a rotten rum cake.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Working on Gen 5 of Odin's Rye Bread recipe!!! :thumbup:

I have Gen 2 in a barrel aging, Gen 3 in a jar with oak spiral, Gen 4 TBD...

Sipped on some Gen 1/2 blend last night watching football. Love me some rye!
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

I burnt my last high rye bourbon mash this weekend trying to strip it. Im taking a break until I can find a better way to avoid that.

Maybe using a banjo burner with a stainless/aluminum disc would spread the heat out better than a hot plate?

It literally burns right where the coils are. I think a heat diffuser with a hotplate might take too long, but a heat diffuser with a banjo 10" banjo burner might be better?

If that fails im moving on to a banjo burner with a glycol bain marie...
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

tombombadil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 am I burnt my last high rye bourbon mash this weekend trying to strip it. Im taking a break until I can find a better way to avoid that.

Maybe using a banjo burner with a stainless/aluminum disc would spread the heat out better than a hot plate?

It literally burns right where the coils are. I think a heat diffuser with a hotplate might take too long, but a heat diffuser with a banjo 10" banjo burner might be better?

I use a sand bath for my glass still. just get a larger container, put about an inch of sand in the bottom, sit your boiler on that and fill the rest in with sand and sit on your banjo burner. Doesn't evaporate like water, won't burn like oil. Takes a while longer to heat up and you have a huuuuuge lag on temperature adjustments.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Windswept wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:35 am
tombombadil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 am I burnt my last high rye bourbon mash this weekend trying to strip it. Im taking a break until I can find a better way to avoid that.

I use a sand bath for my glass still. just get a larger container, put about an inch of sand in the bottom, sit your boiler on that and fill the rest in with sand and sit on your banjo burner. Doesn't evaporate like water, won't burn like oil. Takes a while longer to heat up and you have a huuuuuge lag on temperature adjustments.
That's cheaper than a diffuser or glycol so I'll try that first. Thanks for the advice!
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

It's going to stink while it burns off the organics, depending on how clean your sand is.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

These days I am making wine, soon I will distil my pomace!
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

tried a kale sugar wash yesterday.... added a bit of tomato paste to it too!.... we'll see where it goes from there
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I saw some cheap burner plates in the grocery store over the weekend. They're intended for diffusing flames and heat from electrical elements.

Found this one on amazon that might help ya:
Chill-Stillin
Novice

Post by Chill-Stillin »

I'm guessing your jaggery is made traditionally over fire, not industrially under vacuum...
I thought jaggery or panela is always made that way, i.e. in big steel pots over fire and no vacuum.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

Chill-Stillin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm
I'm guessing your jaggery is made traditionally over fire, not industrially under vacuum...
I thought jaggery or panela is always made that way, i.e. in big steel pots over fire and no vacuum.
In Brasil we call "rapadura" instead of panela, always boiled over fire, tradicionally wide copper pots, like a bowl
I imagine you got something similar to this (wich we call "açúcar mascavo" = brown sugar):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9wfjhKgNLZxbezs78

Nice to see you using sugar cane's wild yeast!
How long it took to ferment your wash?
dntinsley
Novice

Post by dntinsley »

Distilled my pear wine last night. 7 gallons only got me a quart and a half but the taste was nice. Took the dunder and started a citrus rum.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

dntinsley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:13 pm Distilled my pear wine last night. 7 gallons only got me a quart and a half but the taste was nice. Took the dunder and started a citrus rum.
Congratulations With your run, your introduction was a bit sparse what type of rig are you running?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Started the 2nd mash on my single malt barrel journey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dntinsley
Novice

Post by dntinsley »

Running a t500 with a copper dome. Finding the the thermometer in the line varies from the lazer.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Put up 5 gallons of hard cider, 3 gallons of one recipe and 2 of a lighter one.
Chill-Stillin
Novice

Post by Chill-Stillin »

JesseMarques wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:53 am
Chill-Stillin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm
In Brasil we call "rapadura" instead of panela, always boiled over fire, tradicionally wide copper pots, like a bowl
I imagine you got something similar to this (wich we call "açúcar mascavo" = brown sugar):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9wfjhKgNLZxbezs78

Nice to see you using sugar cane's wild yeast!
How long it took to ferment your wash?
A little over a week in total, the final wash with the wild yeast 'starters' about 4 days with step feeding though.
Ended up with 1.8ltrs @ 70 as keeps. Thx for the tips!
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:08 pm

I saw some cheap burner plates in the grocery store over the weekend. They're intended for diffusing flames and heat from electrical elements.

Found this one on amazon that might help ya:
Ya, thanks for sharing.

Ordered a stainless one with aluminum in the middle. I'm going to try this with the hotplate. It's only a 1500w hotplate and it only seems to scorch right where the coils are so maybe spreading it out via the diffuser will solve the problem.

If I still get scorching I'm going to have to try the banjo burner with sand approach. Trying to figure out how to hook a banjo burner up to my houses natural gas is going to be another adventure...
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

I use an old 10" table saw blade. I've pretty much avoided distilling on the grain though.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

You'll have to change the jet(s) to use natural gas on a propane burner. The burner manufacturer should be able to set you up with the correct jet.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Went to strip 80l of kveik hornindale fermented corn whiskey this weekend. Charged boiler with first load and and as the column started to heat.... my controller went pop! 🤬🤬 Waited for it to cool and poured back into the fermenter while I wait for new controller to turn up.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Brewed a German dopple bock Saturday (O.G. 1.074) and my 5-grain bourbon Sunday (O.G. 1.064). The airlocks are buzzing today.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K