What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Expat »

Did 2 stripping runs of HBB, now 8ish gallons of low wines. Delish

Probably another tomorrow. The rest will need to wait until it settles properly.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

still.jpg
Simple corn and barley. Been using four sections of the Mile Hi for washes, but just two for this mash. Lots of barley in the finish, but not much corn flavor. For the next time, I'll run without any plates inside, pot style, to keep more flavor.
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

oksofar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:21 am still.jpg
Simple corn and barley. Been using four sections of the Mile Hi for washes, but just two for this mash. Lots of barley in the finish, but not much corn flavor. For the next time, I'll run without any plates inside, pot style, to keep more flavor.
Very nice rig you have there
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

While waiting on the booners to finish fermenting...brewed up a beer today.

Decided to flake my own barley and rice from what I have around. (turned out ok... time will tell) 6 gallons went in the fermentor, 4 lbs flaked rice, 5lbs flaked barley, 16 lbs distillers malt, & centennial hops 45 min boil... SG reading 1.076 :) Like I said time will tell. but it sure smells good... Goal is to do 6 all grain beer's and get them in fermentors and carboy's for summer.

Seems what I give away everyone like the UJSSM back sweetened with simple sugar syrup...to about 160pr...So the brews should offer something a bit "softer" to sip around the fire.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Started a jar of blueberry panty dropper.
Resized_20210313_234431.jpeg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

Busy weekend. I finished making up 3 bottles of panty droppers (blueberry, strawberry, and cherry) along with two bottles of cinnamon. All are ready to drink and in the fridge!

I also mashed in 12 gallons of CROB that I will run in 2 weeks.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:53 pm
River Rat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:41 pm I am curious about that now though. I'm sure somebody on here has tossed some whole lemons into a jar of shine before. If you cut that with simple syrup does it taste like limoncello? Sure would be easier. As long as it didn't pull some bitterness from the pith out through the peel.
I think maybe it would.
I left some oranges stuck on skewers above the spirit. To flavour the spirit from the vapour....
Left them a lot too long and now I can squeeze the orange and make a screwdriver with no added spirit,
so certainly the vapour/ spirit can get into the orange, through the pith, so the pith
or its flavour probably can get back into the spirit...

Geoff
Done it, put whole lemons in and whole limes in separate batch.
2 issues: it takes up a whole lot more space so you need a lot bigger jar vs just peels where you only need to cover them.
The result did pick up some bitterness that can't be masked with simple syrup. Having said that, some of my friends loved my lime cello which was a little bitter, a piquant taste (do you like that word, its so hard to find a use for it in every day language!)

Stick with the peels.

And I left mine in for 2 weeks and longer, the peel goes white and brittle and as long as you have the pith removed, you should get a decent base for making your lemoncello.

My lime cello below compared with lemoncello.
Test 3.jpg
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Yes, nice outfit.

What size kettle is that and may I ask how long does it take to strip the wash.

Also, how much water?

Its time for me to upgrade from my T500, takes too long and uses a bucket load of water!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Pulled 4l of 95% neutral from about 15l of AG low wines at around 30%.
Going to have to increase the size of my mash I think, doing 6kg in 20l takes too long to accumulate enough low wines for a spirit run and then 4l is not enough to make enough gin to charge my boiler again.

Going to have to get big or get out!
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:00 pm a piquant taste (do you like that word, its so hard to find a use for it in every day language!
:clap: I had to look up the definition. Looks like you found a perfect use for it!
It occurred to me after making that post that I had used the peels from 2.5 lbs of lemons for 1 quart of spirit (to just cover the peels). Like you were saying, a quart of spirit ain't going to cover 2.5 lbs of whole lemons....
Plain ole pot rig.
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:02 pm
Yes, nice outfit.

What size kettle is that and may I ask how long does it take to strip the wash.

Also, how much water?

Its time for me to upgrade from my T500, takes too long and uses a bucket load of water!
I use 15 or 16 gallon size for all three: mash tun, conical fermenter and still. Not sure what you mean by "how much water"... for cooling? I use a 20 gallon plastic trash can and a submersible 1/4 hp pump. When the water gets too warm, I dump it and refill from the hose.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

oksofar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:01 pm
I use 15 or 16 gallon size for all three: mash tun, conical fermenter and still. Not sure what you mean by "how much water"... for cooling? I use a 20 gallon plastic trash can and a submersible 1/4 hp pump. When the water gets too warm, I dump it and refill from the hose.
Thank you, I was referring to cooling. The problem with the T500 is the water comes out at 50C plus, I tried using a pump to recirculate but was not effective.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

River Rat wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:18 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:00 pm a piquant taste (do you like that word, its so hard to find a use for it in every day language!
:clap: I had to look up the definition. Looks like you found a perfect use for it!
It occurred to me after making that post that I had used the peels from 2.5 lbs of lemons for 1 quart of spirit (to just cover the peels). Like you were saying, a quart of spirit ain't going to cover 2.5 lbs of whole lemons....
I use skins from 5-6 lemons with about 1.5 litres of 95% and macerate for 2 weeks plus.

Of course lemons are different sizes so just get a feel for it.
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 pm
Thank you, I was referring to cooling. The problem with the T500 is the water comes out at 50C plus, I tried using a pump to recirculate but was not effective.
Hope to help out CoogeeBoy without taking away from the purpose of this thread (what did ya'll make today)... 
I used to use an ice-filled cooler as a water reservoir.  But six bags of ice would melt in less than 2 hours, so I abandoned that (I'd be stilling for 5-6 hours).  I upgraded from an 8 gallon cooler to a 20 gallon plastic trash can.  Water heats up so quickly, there is no benefit from having an insulated container. 

I also got rid of my first "brewers" pump - it was weak, but even worse - not self priming.  If the feed hose ever came out of the water bath, I'd have to funnel water into it to get it to start pumping again, and in a hurry! 

I now use a 1/4 hp submersible pump, which simplified hose connections, and has a lift height of 27', so plenty of power to pump water to the height I need, and with the velocity to keep up with cooling.  I use a "Y" barb fitting to split the pump output between the shotgun condenser and the dephlegmator with quick detach couplings and ball valves at both.  I may upgrade the ball valve at the dephlegmator to a needle valve for more precise flow control, but have no issues at all with volume. 

When the water in the trash can gets warm, I pull the return hoses out, and just let them drain into the woods, out the back of my barn, and fill it again with cool water from the garden hose.  If you use your still inside, you could just drain the hoses into the sink.  I got all these cooling pieces from Amazon, including the silicone 1/2" hose.  PM me, if you have questions.  Good luck! 

Old pump - not self priming, and weak.
oldpump.jpg
New self priming submersible pump - works great!
newpump.jpg
Y fitting to split water flow
y_fitting.jpg
Quick disconnects - make disassembly for cleanup and transport easy
disconnect.jpg
Mini ball valve
valve.jpg
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

oksofar wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:30 am
CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 pm
Hope to help out CoogeeBoy without taking away from the purpose of this thread (what did ya'll make today)...
Great setup Oksofar, and maybe not off thread, it can be my "What are you going to make today...." contribution!

Am going to move to bigger setup now, park the old 25l boiler and invest in something more substantial.
Thanks for your input!
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Arancello initiation
Bottled with 72% frankenshine
image26.jpg
Last edited by Honest_Liberty on Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

Continuing on my still build. Have to fit my coil to the cooling bucket today, and also solder up the fittings from the lyne arm to the coil, and then I'm ready to roll. Will hopefully run another sugar wash as well. Can't wait!
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

First 12 gallon strip of Booner's that finished at .998 from 1.043

Wringing grains and preparing for tomorrow's second strip from everything I pull off the grains
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Have some single malt to strip but have a wake to go to another person died of the covid
wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck »

Stripped birdwatchers, mashed-in another batch of same. Prep for spirit run.
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Finished first strip of maybe 10-12 gallons. Going to strip the remaining 7.5

Not really enjoying this much anymore considering how little I produce for how much effort it takes.

Oh well. Time to upgrade
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I'm seriously ready for a boiler upgrade too
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:27 am I'm seriously ready for a boiler upgrade too
What is yours? 8 gallon? Didnt you score a keg recently to convert?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:49 am
Durhommer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:27 am I'm seriously ready for a boiler upgrade too
What is yours? 8 gallon? Didnt you score a keg recently to convert?
Yes I have a keg just haven't got it welded on yet I'm a cheap ass
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Stripping the rest of the Booner's, 8 gallons second run out of 19 or so. Collected 2.65 gallons at 35% first run

About to liquidate my setup for $400 and purchase a 26 gallon setup with 4" 4 plate perforated column for $1100.
Then I'm buying an agitator and I'm done with with mop wringer!!!
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

IMG_0080.jpg
Mashed 15 gallons of corn and barley.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Proofed the last of my Hot Cross Bun Gin experiment. It's quite nice so there might not be much left by Easter :D
I'm sure next year's version will be even better.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I started a bourbon mash yesterday, resting overnight, and finishing today. 60 lbs Corn/Rye malt/Barley malt in a 25 gallon cooler (my corn cooker).

This was my first use of SebStar HTL / SebAmyl GL, and this morning the mash is as sweet as can be. Today I will transfer to the fermenter (30 gal), top it off with some cold water, and pitch the yeast.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I'm finishing up my single malt strips today cos no work ...damn rain days cut my pocketbook but are rich in hobby time
wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck »

Greened up some white dog, batch 3, a corn whiskey. Listening to Irish folk songs. Happy St Patrick’s Day!
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!