What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by BourbonStreet »

I just ran my first UJSSM made with D47 yeast. I’d used D47 for wine, and couldn’t find my bread yeast. It turned out great, with a good flavor. I even started a Pugirum wash with it. It loves the molasses!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Had a productive weekend! Started a couple fermentations, put my tom cat Gin on oak and cycled it every few hours between the great outdoors (-11C), the basement (20C) and a hot bath (40C) to "age" it. .... Now I will need to let it sit for a few months. :-)
-- Rrmuf
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Despite the worst migraine in a long time I managed a certain amount of productivity as well.

I squeezed out my second HBB batch (reduced water didn't seem to make any difference to ease of squeezing. When it's finished its cold crash (because with night time temps dropping below 0C I can finally cold crash stuff) I'll strip it and taste test versus the first batch.

Also started a creme de mûres experiment.

And I finally blended my oated, wheat whisky which is now divided up between two jugs, with a stick of charred oak in one and some med toast in the other. Interestingly the charred oak sank to the bottom of the jug after about 48hrs. The toasted oak is still floating.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:39 am Despite the worst migraine in a long time I managed a certain amount of productivity as well.
.... la persévérance :thumbup:
-- Rrmuf
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Perseverance? More just a hyperactive day of productivity after several days of lying in bed waiting for the world to end.

Manage to finish up the crême de mûres last night, but I buggered it up. Strained off the alcohol giving me 230ml at (I would guess that it had taken on some water from the berries) around 90%. Decided I wanted to aim for around 30% so that would give me 690ml. At 400g/litre of sugar (the standard for a crême) that worked out at 276g of sugar. I made up a simple syrup with 276g of sugar and 460ml of water and added it... then realised I'd forgotten to account for the volume of the sugar!

It's not bad, but the flavour is a little diluted. I think it needed riper berries (it wasn't a good year for them this year) and a lower dilution. Maybe next year the crop will be better. Now I just need to buy a bottle of Bourgogne Aligote to see what it's like in a kir.

Also stripped my second batch of HBB.

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Stripped a large batch AG Bourbon down to the grain bed for a spirit run tomorrow - Approximately 30g stripped - built the barrel shelf that holds a new 5g gibbs, a neutral 5g port cask, and three badmo's that I received today :)

6g Low wines @ 25% abv
5g Low wines @ 30% abv
3g wide feints from last bourbon AG @ 40% abv
I'll squeeze 1-2 gallons of the grains to top up the spirit run but leave the rest in for the sugarhead+.
Estimated abv of spirit run charge 15-16g @ 26-28% abv - Going to remeasure all my abv's in the am after everything cools down...

Small mash in for "sugarhead+" on the spent grain bed and remaining liquid:
13# quick oats - gelatinized with 8g boiling backset (+ 2TBSP calcium hydroxide) + 7g water then dropped to 150*F
10# red wheat malt
10# white wheat malt
5# Briess crystal malt 10L
* Allow to drop to about 105*F then dump into spent grains & leftover liquid
+ 50# sugar (haven't added this yet so will check my math first after the mash is done)
Top up with water to ~45gallon mark
Prolly dump in 1/2 jar bakers to kick it off with fresh yeast

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

5FD6FC22-5167-4552-A67D-DA8915782CD5.jpeg
Grain bed still has plenty beer in it so this will be a good sugarhead and i’ll squeeze the grains on this one.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Today was bottling day at the winery. 65 cases of Malbec for the winery, plus 3 more cases of my own Bourbon Barrel Aged Malbec. A little "leap of faith" project I talked the owners into last year at harvest time. It turned out so good that we'll be doing it again, but on a larger scale.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

37EC235A-71A6-4BD9-A699-4C512B889620.jpeg
Stripping a sugarhead+ this weekend. Going to mash-in an AG on Sunday. The bottom 5g barrel is about 4g full. Seasoning the BadMo’s with sugarhead+ For now. Port barrel will be for something else once I empty it. Not sure yet.

Have a good weekend all!

Cheers,
-j
————
————
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

whoops, double post...
Last edited by rubberduck71 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:29 am 37EC235A-71A6-4BD9-A699-4C512B889620.jpeg

Cheers,
-j
That's a wicked work area you got there!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Egg Nog Cocktail for the holidays.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Bushman wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:32 pm Egg Nog Cocktail for the holidays.
What's your recipe for that? Thanks
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

dieselduo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:38 pm
Bushman wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:32 pm Egg Nog Cocktail for the holidays.
What's your recipe for that? Thanks
Any of the homemade eggnog recipes on the internet
1/2 cup whiskey
1/2 cup spiced rum
1/2 cup brandy
Vanilla extract
Mix last 4 ingredients and I add it to a 1.5L bottle, fill the rest of the way with eggnog and store in refrigerator.
Pour drink over ice and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 pm Today was bottling day at the winery. 65 cases of Malbec for the winery, plus 3 more cases of my own Bourbon Barrel Aged Malbec. A little "leap of faith" project I talked the owners into last year at harvest time. It turned out so good that we'll be doing it again, but on a larger scale.
That’s cooler than hell Deplorable!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:29 am 37EC235A-71A6-4BD9-A699-4C512B889620.jpeg

Stripping a sugarhead+ this weekend. Going to mash-in an AG on Sunday. The bottom 5g barrel is about 4g full. Seasoning the BadMo’s with sugarhead+ For now. Port barrel will be for something else once I empty it. Not sure yet.

Have a good weekend all!

Cheers,
-j
Holy Shit JS! You got quite the reserve
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Any of the homemade eggnog recipes on the internet
1/2 cup whiskey
1/2 cup spiced rum
1/2 cup brandy
Vanilla extract
Mix last 4 ingredients and I add it to a 1.5L bottle, fill the rest of the way with eggnog and store in refrigerator.
Pour drink over ice and sprinkle with cinnamon.
[/quote]

Thanks I'll give it a go
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:51 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 pm Today was bottling day at the winery. 65 cases of Malbec for the winery, plus 3 more cases of my own Bourbon Barrel Aged Malbec. A little "leap of faith" project I talked the owners into last year at harvest time. It turned out so good that we'll be doing it again, but on a larger scale.
labels will be in on Monday, so Wednesday after work, SWMBO and I will go label our wine and pick it up. Of course, she's already decided she wants to give some of it away. :crazy:
When we pulled it from the bourbon barrel, she didn't think she'd even like the final blend, but now, she's anxious to get it home and start drinking it and giving bottles away. I'm going to have to keep it under lock and key. I told her the other day, if she gives away more than two bottles, she's sleeping in the 5th wheel!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

[tr][/tr]
Deplorable wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:21 pm

labels will be in on Monday, so Wednesday after work, SWMBO and I will go label our wine and pick it up. Of course, she's already decided she wants to give some of it away. :crazy:
When we pulled it from the bourbon barrel, she didn't think she'd even like the final blend, but now, she's anxious to get it home and start drinking it and giving bottles away. I'm going to have to keep it under lock and key. I told her the other day, if she gives away more than two bottles, she's sleeping in the 5th wheel!
Labor of love
I hear ya, every time SWMBO friends come over the supply gets smaller (of course the same happens when my buddies come over). Thinking about taking a cue from shady and making some horse apple shine to give to the vultures, haha!
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:58 pm [tr][/tr]
Deplorable wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:21 pm

Labor of love
I hear ya, every time SWMBO friends come over the supply gets smaller (of course the same happens when my buddies come over). Thinking about taking a cue from shady and making some horse apple shine to give to the vultures, haha!
I don't mind sharing my shine, since I make way more than I drink, but the wine I paid hard earned cash for, and helped in every step of the process is another story. Actually, for spirits, I need to go find more gallon jugs, or bottle up and gift a gallon so I can free up space for the next mash. I'm out of storage at the moment with over 20 gallons put away.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Fuckin’ glass gallons. There ain’t never enough of them. And the ones you got are always running dry.
-Thomas Paine
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Squeezed the grains from my first wheat + yellow label ferment. Pulled quite a lot of clear wash from the top first (About 1/4 of the total volume I would say) then squeezed the rest. The resulting custard is now cold crashing in the shed. With luck I'll strip it tomorrow. Just needed to recover the fermenters and the space in the house. Depending on the yield I'll do another 2-4 batches before running it through the CCVM.

Edit: Having just stuck the two buckets side by side, it's closer to 50% of the total "liquid" volume which ran clear. Making this the best-clearing mash I've run so far!

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

0B11025F-E2CF-4205-BABC-97DD87554810.jpeg
Getting up to temp to drip & strip. Sight glass reminds me of the legs on my whiskey glass lol.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Hop gin. After the run there were flowers plastered as far as I could see up the gooseneck, but I'd gotten away with it. Whew.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

0FA9B9DE-A5F5-4870-8B77-B5C955587AEB.jpeg
714B674A-41FA-403D-8C59-75B984FD15FE.jpeg
704A4826-16F0-4F03-AB66-F6C4AF30C2C2.jpeg
I fecken love the smell of low wines in the morning!

10g sugarhead-plus low wines @ approx 28%abv - topped up with 5g bottom of the bucket squeezins+panella/backset ferment.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Cleaned buckets, and weighed grains, ordered yeast, and tempered down a bottle of 14 month old port wood finished Sweet Feed. Pretty incredible flavors off the port wood.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Stripped my first yellow label, wheat vodka wash. 8kg wheat / 23l water. I think I got about 20 litres into the boiler, 10 of which was perfectly clear, the other 10 was a little cloudy. Stripped down until my mini-alcometer showed there was almost nothing coming off the spout. I've yet to check the abv with my proper alcometer at room temp, but I think I'm somewhere around 25-30% for nearly 7l. Which seems to me to be a pretty amazing efficiency. 3 batches and a little water will comfortably fill my boiler for a reflux run.

Edit: So the markings in my BOP are a little off it would appear. Final total was 5.5L at 28%. Working backwards that would suggest a wash of around 8.5% abv and a "brewhouse" efficiency of 85%. Which is not too shoddy considering the method was: Pour water 75C over the wheat grist, cool after a few hours to around 30C, pitch yeast and stir once after a couple of days (Yellow label says stir daily for three or four days, but life got in the way). Then I just left it alone for a month. If I can get a big fermenter of this going, then depending on the final spirit, this might be the cheapest and easiest neutral I can make.

Limp
Novice

Post by Limp »

I ran some ran some regular corn whiskey the other day. I believe I believe I ran the still at two high of a temperature because the whiskey didn’t come out clear. It was very cloudy. No use crying over spilled milk. I turned the cloudy shine into apple pie. Gave it out for my friends to taste, and they all loved it. Right now I have some peach brandy ready to run. Hopefully I’ll get it run today.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Just remade the oatmeal stout I made earlier in the year, with the addition of a tiny bit of molasses at the start of the boil. Established that 13L batches are the limit for my current brewing setup and that I'll have to start using the boiler from the still to run the boil if I want to go higher.

I also had some runnings left over from sparging that didn't fit in the pot so I boiled them up with no hops to see if I could make something like ovaltine (malt drink from the UK). Got a really nice sweet stout. Very thick mouthfeel, a little sweetness and some coffee / bitter chocolate (probably coming over from the roasted barley).

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I made this small riser arm and Liebig condenser for a friend. He has a 10 gallon boiler pan with a 2” column and no pot head. This will give him a few more options. Merry Christmas D-Man.
8EB6758D-1588-4875-A38B-EB2C39417145.jpeg
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels