Price of mollasis

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Aidas
Rumrunner

Price of mollasis

Post by Aidas »

I can get sugar beet mollasis (49 percent sugar content) at 10 Eurocents per kilogram... now that I look at that again, that's frickin' cheap!

Of course, the problem is that the sugar factory is 350 km. away, and they sell the mollasis one day per week -- thursdays...

When I do finally get out there to buy it, it better be the best rum I've ever tasted... :lol:

Anyone else run across such low prices?

Aidas
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

For blackstrap cane molasses I pay R4.62 per liter which is about R3.37 per kg. That's about .36 Euros or .47 USD per kg. And I guess I'm just lucky that I'm ten minutes from the harbor where the molasses place is.

Cheers,
J

PS - and our VAT is 14% on top of that.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

seems like I read somewhere that beet mollases makes some funky off smells and flavors when used for hootch making. :(

I had the same idea, sugar beets are cheap 'round here too. Sorry, I have no links to share, lost them in some computer trouble... google here I come...
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i dont know anything about euros or them R's in cape town but i can get blackstrap cane mollases for $10 us for 5gal. i have to bring my own bucket though.
Day Late;Dollar Short
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Re: Price of mollasis

Post by hornedrhodent »

="Aidas"
I can get sugar beet mollasis (49 percent sugar content) at 10 Eurocents per kilogram... now that I look at that again, that's frickin' cheap!

Of course, the problem is that the sugar factory is 350 km. away, and they sell the mollasis one day per week -- thursdays...

When I do finally get out there to buy it, it better be the best rum I've ever tasted... :lol:

Aidas

I paid A$25 for a 20l (25kg) plastic bucket of molasses at a produce store . I'd bought a similar empty new food grade bucket for A$10 so I thought it wasn't too bad - I was desperate to get some rum started.

I later found out that I could get 200l of it for about the same price if I have my own drum and went to the sugar mill about 80 km away. I expect it's seasonal though - the farmers around here feed it to their cattle. I'll have to find a farmer who likes rum!
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Hornedrodent,
Are you QLD or WA?
muckanic
Swill Maker

Post by muckanic »

="hornedrhodent". I expect it's seasonal though - the farmers around here feed it to their cattle.
Not only that, but with the drought-fuelled demand for feed supplements at the moment they're importing molasses from Thailand. Dunno whether it has affected prices.

Here's one possible bulk supplier for Oz city-slickers: http://www.brandonmolasses.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

="duds2u"
Hornedrodent,
Are you QLD or WA?

Nth coast NSW.

Big river country.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Aidas wrote:I can get sugar beet mollasis (49 percent sugar content) at 10 Eurocents per kilogram... now that I look at that again, that's frickin' cheap!

Aidas
Is it really worthwhile to make a 700km round trip though to get that price? I can't imagine you would save that much when you factor in time and gasoline.

I pay just under $5 USD for 5 liters of blackstrap molasses. I really don't mind getting it for that price. I'm more concerned with finding a cheaper source of white table sugar since I use a few 100 kgs per year.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

I'm more concerned with finding a cheaper source of white table sugar since I use a few 100 kgs per year.
Keep an eye out at Shopper's Drug Mart. They'll sometimes have sugar for 50 cents per kg but they'll have a maximum amount that you can purchase at once.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

knuklehead wrote:
I'm more concerned with finding a cheaper source of white table sugar since I use a few 100 kgs per year.
Keep an eye out at Shopper's Drug Mart. They'll sometimes have sugar for 50 cents per kg but they'll have a maximum amount that you can purchase at once.
That's pretty good, but with a maximum amount it would only go so far for me. I normally pay $0.80/kg for the white sugar at Costco (20kg bags).

I think my cheapest source of sugar in a whiskey wash will be if I end up buying a tonne of unmalted barley next summer. A tonne would probably last me a year though.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Doesn't the Cosco near you have bigger bags of sugar? I picked up a 100 lb bag at Cosco once. They asked me if it was for commercial use :lol:

The maximum you can buy at once. So go to the car and put in the bags then go back in and get another load. My wife happens to work at Shoppers as the store Administrator so often I'll get sugar for free. If the bags are torn in shipping or by the shelf stockers they can not sell them so she brings them home for me. Free is always a good price.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Hey Steve,

I just bought a bushel of seed barley yesteday for 8 bucks US. No additives, and 90% guaranteed germination. The feed store operater, a super nice guy, said he had many bags of wheat, that also had good malting qualities. Do you think he is a mind reader? Of course, my first question was do you have mollasses! No they don't just powdered, but they did have bags of rolled oats, so I got one of those also.

We have livestock, and buy horsefeed etc. from them, but he saw right through me. Also, said that with the drought he had no rye, he usually enough in fall to cover the spring farmers needs, but due to lack of hay, he sold totally out this fall.

Barley, oats, and cracked corn should give me a sip, though I may add some whole wheat flour. I have some malted barley, and also 3 in 1 enzyme when I run out of the malted.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Well you can't beat that deal for barley if you don't mind malting it yourself (as I like to do). You can make more than a few nice batches of whiskey from a bushel.