wont stop fermenting

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigad71
Novice

wont stop fermenting

Post by bigad71 »

gday
I put my first lazy batch on 15 days ago with 25l water and 9 kg dextrose and a packet of 48hour turbo yeast, it still bubbles out the air lock and my hydrometer reading is .900
can I distill yet or do I have to wait for it to stop bubbling?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: wont stop fermenting

Post by Dnderhead »

next time don't put so much sugar in.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Bigad71 welcome to the forum. There are recipes here in the tried and true section to help get the proportions correct for a good reproducible wash. We generally frown on turbo yeast as better quality product can come from regular or distillers yeast than from turbo. How about go over to the new members section and give us a proper introduction. What equipment you have and what you like and want to make regarding a drink.
Enjoy the forum.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
bigad71
Novice

Post by bigad71 »

I bought a starter kit from the country brewer with a black maximus reflux still and all the consumables supplied in the kit, I did exactly what the instructions said
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You get somethin that works real hard an it'll
trap gas in it. Dan your finger in it an taste it.
Now what you reckon

So IM tole
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

No more than 2 PPG that's pounds per gallon. That's 14%ABV when finished. I try to not go over 10%abv anything more and it takes too long and the taste isn't as good. Some even go down to 1ppg or 7%abv.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Holy sheet fires, Batman!! 19.8 lbs in 6 gallons? That thing may go for a month!! Fer sure, pay attention when the good folks here tell ya not to go more than 2PPG. Less is more, when it comes to taste. The most I ever used was 10 lbs in 5 gallons, but I prefer 7-8 lbs in 5 gallons.

And ditch the turbo yeast. It will taste better if you use bread yeast and half a pound of cow manure. But... I'd advise more like 2tbsp of bread yeast, 5 gallons of water, and 7-8 lbs of sugar. You'll find recipes like this in the Tried and True section. Like UJSSM, SF wash, BW recipe, etc. (though I am NOT a fan of the tomato paste recipe myself)
bigad71
Novice

Post by bigad71 »

thanks everyone I ended up sticking it in the still before it stopped fermenting and got 4.5lt at 95%
thanks for all your help
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

You got robbed by the person that sold you all that unneeded crap.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

bigad71 wrote:I bought a starter kit from the country brewer with a black maximus reflux still and all the consumables supplied in the kit, I did exactly what the instructions said
The first thing you will learn here as time goes by is that following the instructions you get with a store bought still kit isnt always the best way to go.
The Second is that you can make much better booze if you follow the tried and proven recipes in the recipe section of the forum.
Turbo yeast , high sugar content washes just don't work well for a lot of reasons.