HOW TO STRAIN MASH

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mikedeardorff
Novice

HOW TO STRAIN MASH

Post by mikedeardorff »

I have tried cheese cloth, metal strains, pillow cases, etc....
I make GREAT traditional whiskey, and every time, straining is a royal pain in the rear.
PLEASE share if you have an easy way to strain out corn mash in a productive way.
I have a metal fine strainer that I slowly push all my mash through, and it takes 2 hours to do it right, it's really hard.
Then, I take my strained corn and squeeze it by hand in handful size balls! It s the most productive way I have.

I wish I could buy some type of spinning device to spin the liquid out of the mash for me or something. HELP!
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: HOW TO STRAIN MASH

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Maybe a junkish washer on the spin cycle. May have to install some sort of liner in the tub.

Or this. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&outp ... centrifuge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

ever see a salad spinner? you might have to add some screen around the inside of the bowl depending on the hole sizes on the model you find.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I'm telling you right now. Do not try to mod a clothes washer to do it for you. There is a video of that floating around the net somewhere. Funny shite. Grain all over the room. :lol:

Fruit or wine press and Strainer bags.

Or pour it into a strained bag. And hang it over the bucket. Let it drip itself out.

Or ferment on the grain. And rack the clear beer off the grain bed.

Or not strain it so much. And sparge it with more water. Use that sparge water to make your next batch. first batch will have a lower yield. But each batch after will have a higher yield. That's a Dnderhead method for you. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

I use two buckets and a paint strainer bag. Cut the top out of the bottom bucket so that the top bucket can sit on top of it and drain into. I pour the grain in the bag and stir it around with a plastic spoon which only leaves a little to squeeze out. Just don't forget to watch the bottom bucket (like I always do) so that it doesn't overflow.
buckets - Copy.jpg
stillin' when I shoulda been buyin'
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

During the processes you have tried have you actually tried racking, or just straining...??? Very few materials will filter out the yeast itself, just grain and larger components... I have even gotten into the habit of double-racking my sugar washes... I rack once into a secondary for several additional days of clearing and then from the secondary into the boiler...
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

I just use a pillowcase, but I usually do UJSSM. It didn't work so well with an AG. :roll:
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

When I do strain the mash (rarely anymore)I use a five gallon paint straining bag tied with cord and "milk" the contents with my hands like milking a cow. Works well for fruit as well.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Flat with those bibs I can see you milking cows. Put us up a video.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Manuel Labor is my good friend. I strain corn mash the old fashioned way, with a strainer bag and about a gallon scoop at a time, and lots of firm squeezing. Yes its a PITA, but its over pretty quick. 20 minutes to do a 25 lb of grain batch. Then I let it sit in buckets again overnight, the yeast settles out, and pour into the boiler from the bucket. Yeast sludge goes back on the grain with sugar and water when I want to do a quick sugarhead with the spent groceries.

Some folk here use a mop ringer that they put the grain bag in. Sounds like a damn good idea. A ringer is on my list to buy. Ive considered pulling out my apple press (8 ton hydraulic) but its just more shit to clean up. So 20 minutes of hell doesnt seem enough to warrant it yet.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Thump35
Novice
Location: Midwest, unless its nice out. Then Im on my bike anywhere in the country.

Post by Thump35 »

rad14701 wrote:During the processes you have tried have you actually tried racking, or just straining...??? Very few materials will filter out the yeast itself, just grain and larger components... I have even gotten into the habit of double-racking my sugar washes... I rack once into a secondary for several additional days of clearing and then from the secondary into the boiler...
I imagine it would take a while. But wouldn't a hepa filter collect all the yeast?
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
HoBo Bill
Novice

Post by HoBo Bill »

I found a 25 gal. alum. stock pot with a lift out basket that has lots of half inch sized holes in it for about 50 bucks. First thing I did was put 4 one inch stainless bolts (washers nuts etc.) in the bottom of the basket to act as legs for the purpose of lifting the basket an inch or so off the bottom of the pot.(like a double boiler) no scorched mash. Then I lined the sides and bottom of the basket with fine window screen. I also have a small block hoist ( hunters use them for deer etc. avail at Harbor Fright for 6 or 7 bucks) I know that 4 inches of cracked corn in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket makes about 5 gals of mash. so I cook about 15 gals at a time. when done I simply hoist the basket and cooked corn or what ever, up until it is clear of the water but still in the pot to let it drain. I wash the corn while hanging to help get the most out of it. after it is drained to my satisfaction, I dump it off my dock to feed the Mullets etc. that I catch smoke & eat. I am new at this so I have only used my 25 gal pot 2 or 3 times. After I have added the sugar and yeast I simply siphon from the big pot down to my 6 gal better bottles. The inside of the big pot is left with a very little bit of fine grit on the bottom that got through the screen. I thought about filtering the stuff out prior to the cooking process but it has not seemed to make any difference because this method tastes just a good as any I have ever made. When I first started in this hobby I was very unhappy with the mess and sloppy way of handling things. I am much happier now and look forward to making all kinds of fine whiskey.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rad14701 wrote:During the processes you have tried have you actually tried racking, or just straining...??? Very few materials will filter out the yeast itself, just grain and larger components... I have even gotten into the habit of double-racking my sugar washes... I rack once into a secondary for several additional days of clearing and then from the secondary into the boiler...
+1 on the double racking. :thumbup:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

+2 on the double racking :thumbup: :thumbup:
This Free's up my primary fermenter for another batch.
Buteo
Novice

Post by Buteo »

I line my fermenters with a paint straining bags. When fermentation is done just lift the bag and let it drain.
Let things settle for a day or two then rack into a bucket and pour the wash in my boiler. You can buy the bags at Lowes.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Buteo wrote:I line my fermenters with a paint straining bags. When fermentation is done just lift the bag and let it drain.
Let things settle for a day or two then rack into a bucket and pour the wash in my boiler. You can buy the bags at Lowes.
What sizes do they make those bags?
Using Google Search

Thump35
Novice
Location: Midwest, unless its nice out. Then Im on my bike anywhere in the country.

Post by Thump35 »

And how much are they? They have something similar at the brew shop for like five bucks.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
thorson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thorson »

I also bought some paint strainers to try out...on amazon I found a 5 gallon EZ strainer...sounds good, I ordered it, hope it makes things simpler
you can buy different micron strainers and stack them...that way you have more stages to the strain and should be better than just using one

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-EZ-Straine ... pd_sbs_k_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

don't know if someone has had any experience with these...
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

thorson wrote:I also bought some paint strainers to try out...on amazon I found a 5 gallon EZ strainer...sounds good, I ordered it, hope it makes things simpler
you can buy different micron strainers and stack them...that way you have more stages to the strain and should be better than just using one

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-EZ-Straine ... pd_sbs_k_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

don't know if someone has had any experience with these...
I use one of these when I do the first rack into buckets from my ferment barrel. It works great catching the stray grains from a sweet feed or bits of cereal from an All Bran type wash. :thumbup: No need to stack them or anything. You they are pretty fine and you are just filtering the big stuff. Once racked off the yeast will settle to the bottom in a few days (a cooler spot is better for this). Then as Rad pointed out rack it into your boiler and the yeast stays in the bucket.

I believe the key is just the same as with everything else, don't be greedy. Make a little extra ferment so you can rack it off and leave the sludge undisturbed in the bottom and just toss it. Use the clean ferment you rack off both times and you will have a clean tasting product.
Using Google Search

Buteo
Novice

Post by Buteo »

The ones at Lowes come in two sizes. I use the 5 gallon size. They come 2 in a package and will last quite awhile if they're taken care of.
I hand wash mine in hot water between uses. I have some that are over a year old and still have a lot of life left. If I remember correctly they cost about $5.00. When the ferment is done I lift them up spin the bag a tie off with a bread tie. Then set them down on two boards set across the top of the fermenter to drain. The used grain gets fed to deer.
thorson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thorson »

Thanks Hound Dog! I will try and cancel my order...as I ordered 3 different microns :)
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

They are three for 2.99 at Menards. And for those of you who hang to drain, half your wash is in the grains I do recommend squeezing some.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
thorson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thorson »

just a follow up..here is a pic of me straining my banana corn mash...its the stock pot where I cook the mash, using the strainer and the paint strainer...works great!
I just leave it there and then Press with a something heavy to drain more instead of squeezing. after that I use the Easy strainer for what ever that might have gone through

not saying it is the best but up until now it is the best i've thought of jeje of course suggestions are always welcome!
Attachments
IMG-20131126-00194 (800x600).jpg
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Has anyone ever tried a filter?deep sand pool or pond filter?(there are different mediums available don't necessarily have to use sand). Rack off then grain squeeze grain bed then run through pool aquarium filter? I have had some scorching issues looking for options. I realize just letting it sit will clear it just thought they may be a better way..
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I tried a sediment filter cartridge, once. With the mash in a corny keg under CO2 pressure. I figured Id push it through the sediment filter to clear it up. Not so much, total catastrophy, instant clog and no movement. Live and learn I guess.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Think I finally found the answer..found these guys for a different filtration application and stumbled upon some of the other things they make. Check out the rest of the stuff, filtration gold mine.

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/fil ... bucket.php
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Pesty wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:10 pm Think I finally found the answer..found these guys for a different filtration application and stumbled upon some of the other things they make. Check out the rest of the stuff, filtration gold mine.

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/fil ... bucket.php
I bookmarked that site. The bucket filters caught my eye for draining mash after scooping it from the bottom of the Brute. However, BIAB grain bags are inexspensive, and take up a lot less space when not in use. I pretty much do what thorson posted a picture of a few posts up, and it seems to work well enough. I fill the bag, close the top, and put a stack of weight plates on top of a wood press plate, and let gravity do the work while I do stripping runs. I use the resulting liquid from the grains to dilute the LW for the spirit run.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

There are also plenty of hop spiders on the market. Basically the same thing just long and thin. But I think they would clog pretty quick. Probably best to go with the mop bucket or squeezing a bag that's suspended by a pulley. Or make distilling on the grain feasible.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Why too go Bluc, resurrect a zombie tread !
I'm not a big "Corn Dog" but I think the answer came three or four years back, when someone discovered how quick, clean and easy it was to use a "Mop-bucket" You can look it up here on the forums...as I said, not a "Corn Dog", when I make Bourbon I use flaked corn and then not several gallons at a time...Kiwi

Quick on the draw Seabass!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

this thread by ga flatwoods talk about geotechstyle fabric. i use that to filter first and then press corn meal in a dutch cheese press
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=58545
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?