Checking SG While Fermenting

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FLICK

Checking SG While Fermenting

Post by FLICK »

I would like to do a daily SG check so I can graph the fermentation process... what is the best way to go about this.

I use a 60L (15.5G) screw top fermenter, even though I am only doing 25L brews ATM..

I was thinking about taking a sample from the tap, checking the SG, then pouring it back into the barrel with a small glass funnel through the airlock hole.

Can anyone suggest a better method?

knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

If you want to do something like that you need a clear fermenter and leave your hydrometer floating in the wash. I wouldn't do what you said and take samples out daily and then return it. To much risk for infection at least for me.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
FLICK

Post by FLICK »

Thanks for that...

A couple more questions...

I have a brew of 8kg sugar, 20L water and Alcotec 8 yeast on the go ATM... The temperature is a fairly steady 20 - 22C...

Do I need to stir it at all?

also, when it's finished fermenting, should I use a clearing agent or anything else? ... (I'm planning on about filtering it into the still)

Thanks.
leglessboot

Post by leglessboot »

I wouldn't stir it. I would just leave it alone because in my experience it's always hit and miss whether Alcotec will ferment 8kg's of sugar right out. In 3 out of 4 brews it has left too much sugar in. On the other hand I could be wrong, perhaps it does need stirring. All I can say is when I did stir it once the fermentation stopped in it's tracks.

As for clearing it will always have some undesirables in suspension which are not good for distilling. I always use Alcotec's Turbo Klar (Clear) to clear my washes and my wines. It's excellent and comes in a sachet sufficient for 25 ltrs.
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

FLICK wrote:Thanks for that...

Do I need to stir it at all?

Thanks.
During fermentation stirring is mostly ment to keep the yeast and sugar suspended. Otherwise there might be some sugar get covered by the yeast and not be processed. Also it helps to get the CO2 out of solution.

What I do is: i shake the fermenter with lid and airlock still on.
WARNING: only do this when yhe fermentation is already slowing down some. The sudden release CAN cause the lid to snap off (with the screw on lid this is very unlikely) and spill a lot of foaming, smelly, sticky ferment. In my case the released carbondioxide blows out the water of the vapourlock, but that is easy replaced.

KJH
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

they make a thing called a wine theif , it works great for getting a sample to test , has a float type valve on the bottom that lets the mash in so you can test & i suggest throwing away afterwards & not puttingback in the wash BUt it would be easy to do if you so choose to do so , check with your wine /beer shop for a wine theif
FLICK

Post by FLICK »

Well she's bubbling away furiously and constantly venting gas, and there doesn't appear to be any sediment sitting in the bottom.... yet, so I wont worry about stirring ATM :) (it's only been going for 36 hours)

Should I use Alcotec's Turbo Klar, as well as filtering it into the still, or should filtering be enough to remove the suspended solids? I guess it depends on how fine a filter I use.... I might go buy some Turbo Klar today anyway :)

Thanks everyone :)
leglessboot

Post by leglessboot »

The Turbo Klar will do the job, no need to filter. Either one or the other but not both. It works fast, within hours, but after 3 days it should be crystal clear.