Refining My Moonshine Flavor

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tex

Refining My Moonshine Flavor

Post by Tex »

I'm looking for advice on my improving my moonshine flavor. So far I have run some 2 row all grain, malt extract and corn mash washes. Ran the first ones through a pot still and lately through a reflex column with no reflux or packing. I watch the temps and % using hydrometers and digital thermometers. So I have some clue as to what I'm collecting. I have read this site and also have a copy of Ian Smiley's book.

I'm starting to think I don't like moonshine. Not much for me to sample from down here in central Texas and a few weeks ago I had a guy that grew up in the south tell me my stuff was smoother than his uncle made back when and the other "shine novices" that night said it was good but who knows? Its got a twan to it I don't prefer.

As I have learned I keep tweaking. One of my mistakes has been to not run my stuff after the 72-80 hr (96hr) ferment window that Ian suggests, seems like with the best planning I keep getting interrupted and I get it racked off the grain but not heated or run.

My current wash is 50lbs cracked corn poured into 10 gallons 200f water, another 10gallons at 150f stewed 5 lbs of malted 2 row for 2 hrs, I disolved 25lbs sugar into that then dumped it into the barrel, then added another 10 gallons of cold water. I switched up from Wyeast 1056 pale ale to 4 packs of distillers yeast- each was good for 5 gallons, supposedly. That was saturday night late. So right now I'm at 96 hours (max time suggested By Ian (Mr Smiley to me) since I added yeast but it probably didnt get rolling till early am, but fer sure by Sunday 9am, its still going pretty good so I'm going to just get up early tommorrow. That way I can say I had a run on Thanksgiving hehe

My last run I collected a similair mash in 600 ml bottles, I could barely taste a difference between bottle 2 and 6 outa 8. I saved the center bottles on purpose and have added oak. its about amonth old now. It did taste better to me after I opened the bottles to "Air Out', I watered down with distilled at about 50-70% on those for aging. This is the stuff I was having taste tested the other night

Any suggestions welcomed, any Texans around the list?
thanks