Problems with distilling

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

you sure that 6 liters was heads after you discarded the 1 liter?
Cruiser
Bootlegger

Post by Cruiser »

Yeah, I don't really see a problem except that you considered the 6L to be heads after you already took off 1L of heads. I'd be drinking that 6 Litres :wink:

Looking at the maths you started with
10L at 60% (120 proof) = 6L of pure ethanol
2.5L of heads/tails - let's say 40% (80 proof) = 1L of pure ethanol
So you started with 7 litres @ 100%

After your next run you ended up with
1L discarded - let's say 90% (180 proof) = 0.9L of pure ethanol
6L you call heads at 90% (180 proof) = 5.4L of pure ethanol
2L at 50% (100 proof) = 1L of pure ethanol
6L at 10% (20 proof) = 0.6L of pure ethanol
You made 7.9 litres @ 100%

How did you determine the 6L at 180 proof was no good? It should have been the best part. Even 1L of heads would be considered a lot for a 2nd distillation. Also, most people advise against re-distilling heads (tails is ok).

Regards,
Cruiser.
Cruiser
Bootlegger

Post by Cruiser »

Assuming this is a column reflux still then 79°C is no problem. Temp could be as low as 78° depending on the amount of reflux.

I think you'd only need to discard 50ml or so as foreshots/heads. You should be able to smell a slight difference. In my case (48litre wash), I discard the first 80ml and then set aside another 80ml (to later re-distill) although it would be fine to drink. That first 80ml has a more potent smell slightly like acetone or thinners. The 2nd 80ml smells the same as the rest of the run. Remember that ethanol still has a metho or hospital like odor (metho is usually 96% ethanol these days). The tails smell like wet cardboard or wet socks.

Use your nose, it's the cheapest and most accurate instrument in your kit.

Sounds to me like you've made some good stuff there.

Cruiser.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Cruiser wrote:Remember that ethanol still has a metho or hospital like odor (metho is usually 96% ethanol these days).Cruiser.
Ethanol has no real odour, as such. The way I tell when I am getting really clean spirits out of my fractionating column is when it has virtually no smell, though it has a bit of a 'sharp' kind of edge to it.

The hospital smelling alcohol is isopropanol, the alcohol they use in sterilising swabs. That has a sharp unpleasant smell, no mistaking it.

It is true that commercial methylated spirits is mostly ethanol, but it has some other stuff added to give it that disgusting smell and taste, so it probably is not the best comparison.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.