All grain brewing, filtering and rinsing purpose.

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

stoker wrote::o , for you that must be more then 2000 km!
it would be a very expensive mash tun :?
Oh, it's a two day drive with one overnight in Prague (if I remember correctly, from Klaipeda to Brussels, it is 1600 km. plus/minus...) Besides, It would be an excuse for a road trip, and to try some of Bujapat's products :wink:

I go to brussels pretty often (for work), but I wouldn't mind going down for whiskey matters :lol:

AIdas
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

heckofva job

you done good
Last edited by goose eye on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

:?: :?: :?:

So, my brewin' setup isn't finished yet...
I'll tell you when the first test will be achieved.
But, in any case, it isn't for sale !!!

Aidas, when you come to Belgium, let me know... It would be nice to meet you ! ... and test some of my products ! Image
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
big_daddy_d
Novice

Re: All grain brewing, filtering and rincing purpose.

Post by big_daddy_d »

http://www.portablemilkers.com/catalog/ ... 587812.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I found this this mourning looks like it would work awsome for straining mashes in to distiller or another bucket
big_daddy_d
Novice

Post by big_daddy_d »

The milk jugs they have listed have drain tubes in the corner would be good if you could get a welding shop to weld you a adapter to it so you could put a vavle on it to drain it.
GreenEarth
Novice

Post by GreenEarth »

Awesome Job on that Mash Tun!!! and I loved your posts on the Rice Likker too! thanks
For A Better Earth, Or A Better Buzz!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re:

Post by blanikdog »

CoopsOz wrote:I for one couldn't achieve that level of work!

you're not alone there, coops. Beautiful work!!

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
irishman
Novice

Re: All grain brewing, filtering and rinsing purpose.

Post by irishman »

First off, that's a sweet Mash Tun!

Secondly, why the stirrer? You have to be careful with them, or you'll end up creating cavities in your mash and channeling when you're running off your wort. Creates an effect that lowers your extraction of sugars from the grain.
AndyC
Novice

Post by AndyC »

Oui!

Nicely nicely Vincent Pricely

Definitely looks better then professional, looks artisan, if you do any more projects please post pics.

:)
firebirdude
Novice

Post by firebirdude »

So it's been a few years.... updates? How's it working out for you?
bbonser
Novice

Post by bbonser »

I was briefly reading through this thread and not sure if it has been mentioned here or not but another option to soldering the input and output tubes would be to use Weldless fittings like the ones at http://weldlessfittings.com/kettlefittings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow or just google Weldless fittings or weldless keggle fittings. Brewers have had good luck with these.
tom sawyer
Swill Maker

Post by tom sawyer »

Wow that is one of the fanciest mashtuns I've ever come across!

For those of you that are on more of a budget, have you heard of a cooler mashtun and batch sparging? This is what I do for my brewing. I have cooler MLTs (mash/lauter-tuns) of 3gal, 5gal, and 15gal. The big one holds 30lb of grain with a mash ratio of 1.5qt/lb.

Check out Denny's cheap and easy cooler mashtun. The cooler holds the heat nicely, the braid serves to set up the grain bed that does most of the filtering, and batch sparging means you don't need aa fancy sprinkler head. You mash, drain the sweet wort, add sparge water and stir, then drain that off.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mrek_09
Novice

Post by Mrek_09 »

Nice post. I enjoyed reading this forum. i am thankful to all members for their helpful replies.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Holy old thread resurrection Batman.

Someone was looking for this thread the other day. Now who was it?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Sticky worthy, I saw this awhile back while digging around.

Been in my head ever since....
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I'd do some more research on that "shower" if I were you. That garden hose is more than likely to carry a rubber taste into the water, but beside that the shower is going to cause bubbles in your mash, which beer brewers refer to as Hot Side Aeration. I'm not really sure the affects but all brewers (beer) try to avoid it.

Also I think you'll have problems burning grains with your element in the mash vat. Most beer brewers use a second keg full of water with an element. The wort water comes from the mash vat, through a coil in the water keg and back to the mash vat. It's called an eHerms system, works like a worm and flakestand but for heating mashwater instead of condensing vapours.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Besides being a dead thread...

His heating element isn't in the lauter tun. It's in a separate keg for boiling his strike water. Plus I doubt he used the hose except when he first tested it.

Lastly I doubt the manifold matters. The sparge liquid is often used for the next ferment instead. Efficiency hasn't been a concern I see tossed around here, like it is in the beer forums.
JayG
Novice

Post by JayG »

If efficiency isn’t it sure should be. Why waste sugars/flavors/alcohol by not removing all the sugars from the grains? Reason you’re taking the time to properly convert them. As a brewer it very important to me. I see no diff as a distiller. Max efficiency and control at all points for best end results is my goal.

Awesome setup by the way. Looks great. :clap:

I just add a little heat if needed to hold temp and recirculate the running’s. Then sparge off the last of the sugars in a second running to get the volume I targeted. No need to insulate that way. I can hold a 151 temp forever even in the winter as I’m doing now. I made a cross sparge arm. After several batches I removed the arms. Not needed at all as far as I’m concerned. I do a very fine crush as well. As long as you have a false bottom and pump to recalculate you should be good to go. I test for conversion at many points in the mash. I can tell by the bubble size and colors now. Sticky sweat stuff.

I just put this link on another post. Shows my grind, kegs, how I’m mashing, and my false bottom. Added advantage to mashing like this is the grain bed is your filter. My wort/brew runs clear before I pull it off. No need for any filtering after it’s fermented. I also converted a chest freezer to ferment in. Holds whatever temp I set it at for best results of the yeast I’m using. More control the more consistent your final products will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNHDRzcA52g
poitindrinker
Novice

Post by poitindrinker »

That's an awesome mash tun.
give a man beer and he will waste an afternoon teach a man to brew and he will waste a life time, teach a man to distill....enough said.
Dunder Dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dunder Dan »

Here's mine in progress!
Attachments
brewpot.jpg
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Re:

Post by BaxtersDad »

You said it! I also thought the steel hose was not necessarily the best for wort collection though. I have been an all grain homebrewer since the mid 1980s and I am in the Jack Schmiddling EasyMasher (tm) camp which I found to be a bit more efficient that a false bottom, and I also don't understand why a heating element is necessary on an insulated mash tun, but those are just details. The build blows me away!
bronzdragon wrote:These craftsmen just do this to make the rest of us drool! hehe

Just kidding. I've been a homebrewer for about 15 years now and that's one of the best mash tuns I've seen made at home for home use.

I may have went with a false bottom instead of the cut pipe as far as catching the runoff ... but it probably doesn't matter much. It may depend on what you intend on mashing mostly.

It looks like a top notch set-up.

~r~
buckfity6
Novice

Post by buckfity6 »

Dam fine work!!!!
Wow guys that's a work of art.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I've been doing all grain brewing for a long time. It is really simple to go to Home Depot and buy a 10 gallon Igloo water cooler, pop out the water valve and back fit with a false bottom and a ball valve. Any home brew shop has this. Sparging is over rated IMHU. I add the crushed grain, then hot water to get the mash to about 155, stir it up and let it set for an hour to convert. Let it drain, off and squeeze out the last of it with a dinner plate. I run boiling water through the 2nd time to get the 2nd run, and it is ready to ferment when it is cool enough.

Great work BTW- but I don't have the skills or the patients for that.
dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 »

Wow! I started all grain brewing to learn how to distill and make really good spirits. Just got into the latter and was having difficulty with ease of mashing in, sparring and fermenting on grain. I was searching for the mashing in and fermentation “On grain” but this sounds even easier. Simply drain the mash tun and rinse with boiling water before squeezing with a dinner plate. Doesn’t get any easier than that does it?