Rubbermaid Brute for mashing?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr Shine
Swill Maker

Rubbermaid Brute for mashing?

Post by Mr Shine »

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did an HD Google search as well as a site search and didn't find an answer to this.

It's my understanding that you can ferment in a Rubbermaid Brute garbage can and I've been doing that for a while now (I've heard from some that any Brute container will be safe and from others that only the white and standard gray are food safe... I use gray).

• My question is it it safe to mash in one of these containers?
• Would it be safe to mash some all malt at 145 degrees in one of these?
• What about steep cooking corn or other unmalted grains by pouring boiling (or almost, 205 degree) water on top of the grains?

I guess my real question is will the plastic leech any unwanted nasties into the mash and at what temperature would it be safe?

Thoughts?

Again, sorry if this has been asked before.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Rubbermaid Brute for mashing?

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I'm not sure about the temp thing. I'm sure some internet research would clear it up. I know that a lot of AG mashers use plastic coolers for mashing and I haven't heard of any problems with that. As far as color goes - I think the issue is with the makeup of the pigment used in coloring the plastic. Some pigments are extremely hazardous when consumed. The white HDPE buckets and trash cans from my understanding contain no harmful pigments. The grey trash cans are probably pigmented with carbon black which is also safe. I think carbon black is basically charred animal bones.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The ones I use are rated food grade and I have had no issues with them .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Mr Shine
Swill Maker

Post by Mr Shine »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I'm not sure about the temp thing. I'm sure some internet research would clear it up. I know that a lot of AG mashers use plastic coolers for mashing and I haven't heard of any problems with that. As far as color goes - I think the issue is with the makeup of the pigment used in coloring the plastic. Some pigments are extremely hazardous when consumed. The white HDPE buckets and trash cans from my understanding contain no harmful pigments. The grey trash cans are probably pigmented with carbon black which is also safe. I think carbon black is basically charred animal bones.
Good info. Thank you for this.
Truckinbutch wrote:The ones I use are rated food grade and I have had no issues with them .
Thanks. Good to hear.

I've been searching around the web for info and haven't come up with anything so far, as to whether these things leech anything and at what temps. I do remember reading somewhere that it's probably not a good idea to throw boiling backset (or water) into these and also that it's probably not a good idea to throw boiling water into those coolers... but nothing definitive.

I'll be sure to report back if/when I make any findings.

Thanks again.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

i have been using the blow molded HDPE one for several years with no issues... getting em Family Dollar or Freds...12 bucks...for a 33 gallon trash can if they get dirty i then put em to their intended purpose...

happy stillin and keep on NUKIN

FS
SEMOHILLBILLIE
Novice

Post by SEMOHILLBILLIE »

I have worked with plastics for 17 years. And i use the same Rubbermaid can you use. If you have the food grade then yes it should handle heat up to 250 degrees, anything over that and your plastic will start getting pretty soft. The actual melt temp for food grade hdpe that is injection molded is about 350 degrees. The color has only to do with consumer sales. All the colors are a polypropylene based. Unless ordered as a custom material base. but they all have about the same amount of chemicals in them. The biggest thing about food grade materials is that it is material that has been documented as top grade and then it is all in keeping it contaminate free by the people that handle it. I made the giant pixie sticks for years. the big 21 and 11 inch plastic ones. even though the material was clean the water they go through wasint so clean. You are right the carbon base in the black is crushed burnt animal byproduct but it is only about 20%. I use a 5 gallon Stainless pot to put my backset in right out of the still. I try not to throw water that is over 180 degrees into plastic myself just cause i don't trust much of what they say on what will and wont hurt you. they claimed powdered colorant didnt kill you untill they figured out that it was killing people. it only took them 20 years.
Mr Shine
Swill Maker

Post by Mr Shine »

Thank you for the replies! :)
Bourbon_Greg
Novice

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

Anyone know if these will handle boiling water?

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Come on Bourbon_Greg you have been here long enough to try it and let us know. Many containers look the same but the composite can be very different.
This is a bout rubbermaid brute not your pic
Bourbon_Greg
Novice

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

As I understand both Rubbermaid Brute and this barrel are both made of polyethylene which is why I asked this in this thread. As for trying it and letting others know, I guess I was not clear enough about my concerns. I am mainly concerned about the plastic leaching in either container due to the hot water. I found this thread while researching simpler ways to do large batch corn meal runs. Thanks!