interesting "vodka"

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

interesting "vodka"

Post by cannon.co.tn »

I ran 10 gallons of sugar wash through my reflux still last week. I think I need to more densely pack my column as I only got 86% out of it. Most of it smells nice and clean though so that's good.

As I got near the end of the run the temp climbed to about 80C. At this point I kept collecting and got quite a bit out. (probably should have turned down my burner but...) I think I got about half a liter before the tails started coming and the temp climbed to 84. This half liter has a very distinctive tomato smell. I did put one can of tomato paste in the wash but I'm surprised it so impacted the smell of the distillate.

I do plan on using this as a tomato infused bloody mary vodka.
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
Johnny Reb
Bootlegger
Location: Flaxas (Somewhere between South East Florida and North West Texas)

Post by Johnny Reb »

Make a few more sugar washes and collect enough 86% to do another full run and you should see a nice increase to around 91% to 93% (If my figures are correct)

I do hope your planning on cutting it down and not be drinking 170+ Proof

Johnny Reb
Southern Cookin, Southern Bell, Southern Whiskey... Damn, I cant figure out the right order.....

Save the Confederate Dollars, The south is beginning to rise again.....
DestructoMutt
Swill Maker

Post by DestructoMutt »

if your question is "do I need to pack my column denser?", my answer is no, you need to lower the heat input and insulate your column.

i can't recall what your setup is, but if you're getting 80's out of a reflux column, you're running too much heat. (that's the conventional wisdom)
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

thanks for the comments.

I am running a 2" purchased still with a liebig condenser. As I stated, the temp is pretty stable at 78-79 for most of the run and ran out at about 15-20 ml/min. I thought this was in the right range for my column but perhaps I am running it with too much heat. The column is insulated with water pipe insulation.

Johnny, the idea behind running a reflux is to allow me to not have to distill a second time though if the taste were unpleasant that is what I would probably do. Why on earth would anyone drink 85% abv alcohol straight?
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

one of my first vodkas was like that, except I was using a potstill. Not a bad flavour by any means. Do you have a pic of your still, cause 86% doesn't sound right for a reflux.

Doing a strip run can actually save you time in the end.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

You could try turning your reflux ratio up a bit (direct more condensate back to the column).
rangaz wrote:Do you have a pic of your still, cause 86% doesn't sound right for a reflux.
I agree. A pic would help here.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

sorry 'bout that. The still is an "essential extractor II"

http://www.brewhaus.com/Essential_Extra ... 001005.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
DestructoMutt
Swill Maker

Post by DestructoMutt »

the minimal amount of reflux you have available, two cross tubes, means you need to turn down your input heat. slow the vapor down, let it "bounce" around in the column longer. (higher heat produces more vapor and since it is not a pressure cooker, the vapor expands out the top.)

or be happy with the product produced. your tastes are what matters.
Johnny Reb
Bootlegger
Location: Flaxas (Somewhere between South East Florida and North West Texas)

Post by Johnny Reb »

cannon.co.tn wrote:thanks for the comments.

I am running a 2" purchased still with a liebig condenser. As I stated, the temp is pretty stable at 78-79 for most of the run and ran out at about 15-20 ml/min. I thought this was in the right range for my column but perhaps I am running it with too much heat. The column is insulated with water pipe insulation.

Johnny, the idea behind running a reflux is to allow me to not have to distill a second time though if the taste were unpleasant that is what I would probably do. Why on earth would anyone drink 85% abv alcohol straight?
I have almost the same setup as you do and love it.

There is some people out there that will drink 200 proof just to say they did it.

My comment was intended to look out for ya health with hopes that you was not plannin on drinking that high proof.

I give friends some samples no higher then 150 since they can buy and drink Bacardi 151

Johnny Reb
Southern Cookin, Southern Bell, Southern Whiskey... Damn, I cant figure out the right order.....

Save the Confederate Dollars, The south is beginning to rise again.....
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Canon Co. TN, I have one of those as a backup, or for use as a potstill while I run my big momma.

First, i didn't see a mention of insulated column. It is imperative for this unit to be extremely well insulated.
Second, to improve condensation and thus reflux, pack copper mesh quite snuggly and tight around the cooling tubes to disperse the cooling affects, all the way to just below the takeoff.

Third, make or obtain a splitter of some sort, so you can control the volume of water independantly to the cooling tubes and condensor.

Fourth, Keep the water cold, and constant as possible, or else regulate volume to adjust all the time. Adjust heat input so that at any time, you can increase water flow to achieve total reflux.( a good test for the appropriate amount of heat used). Doing that will give you perfect control over the reflux and rate of collection, and thus quality. If useing external heat, definately use boiling chips- I use 1 1/2 cups worth.

Fifth, As mentioned, save a lot of time and energy by doing several stripping runs, saveing all until you have a full run or so of low wines for a long stripping run. This will improve your spirits as much as anything, except patience. I like to store the low wines on bakeing soda or carbonate while I wait.

Sixth, You are nearby somewhere in TN, above sea level. At my elevation, I run the spirit run at 72-73° C for the entire hearts run. Adjust for your elevation, and keep it constant via water flow and heat input. I have switched to a digital thermometer with an alarm. Best addition i have made.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

Thanks walker.

I'm actually about 300' asl so that shouldn't be a problem. I do have hot water pipe insulation on the column. I use 2 pieces so it gets all the way around.

I was sort of wondering about the reflux water supply. I have to run a recirc. pump from a ten gallon bucket. The rising temp of the water in the bucket could be part of the problem. I think my other initial idea with the packing may be right also. I definitely don't have as much as you are suggesting.
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It seems that alot of people think that you have to get 90-95% to make a good vodka,then cut it down.I make mine with a potstill,and a single run.
It doesnt strip all the flavor out of it,and if you have a clean enough ferment{10-12%} the flavors that are left are all good.I know that I could run it again,and it would get even better,but I like the flavor the way it is.
I guess what Im trying to say is,If it taste good,why run it again and loose the little bit of flavor that it has.I ran some tuesday,and it came off starting at 62% and I stopped at 35%.It was a 10 gallon wash and I got 2 1/4 gallons off of it.By the time I cut it to 80 proof I will have about 3 gallons.Even the ending tails taste good,and I used all but the first 200ml of forshots.I have a nice reflux column thats setting in the corner collecting dust.
wineo
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

At 300' ASL you should, i think, keep your temp at 76° and no higher for the hearts run? Least thats what I can recall in my foggy mind. Should last for the entire hearts run, and then its up to your taste and smell to decide when to stop adding tails. As soon as temp. changes, I collect into small numbered jars, let air for 24 hours with a coffee filter on top, then make my decision what to add,and what is feints.

Again, adjust heat and water to maintain that constant temp. to get the best and most product. This is for the spirit run only. Well actually for the first run also, if you are in a horrible hurry. Won't be as good though.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

at 76 I don't get anything more than 5-10 drops a minute. That would take forever. I collect the first liter in 200ml jars and then the last liter the same way. The hearts go into a 5 liter bottle. Seems plenty as I don't go very deep into the tails (86c)

wineo: Most of what I have is certainly clean enough to make great vodka. There's a little taste but nothing significant. I'll have to bring some down to 40% abv to see what flavor comes out as it certainly opens up at drinking proof compared to 85%. I have diluted some of the tomato smelling stuff and the tomato comes out more. It's actually quite pleasant.
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Dont get me wrong,I wasnt knocking your recipe at all.I just found a wash that I can potstill 1 time and be happy with.Without the long reflux runs,or 2 or 3 runs.I can run 10 gallons in 4 hours and be happy with it,and not have to recycle or throw out any.Its just easy.If I would do a 2nd and or 3rd run,it should get better still,but I have yet to do it.Its a simple wash,but uses some partialy refined sugar.The sugar is mexican,and the brand is zulka.I use 8 pounds of it in 5 gallons.
I use 5 tsps of citric acid,5 tsps of DAP and a pinch of epsom salts.
Instead of using yeast energizer,I use a liquid vitiman called geritol elixer,and only use 2 drops of it in 5 gallons.I dont invert the sugar,but mix it with hot water.I make a 1/2 gallon starter with 2 tbsps of the sugar,and 2 packs of 1118 yeast,and let it work for 48 hours before adding.I start it warm,and after 2 days I mix my sugar,and start it at 95f.
It takes 1 to 2 weeks to work,and I let it clear for another 2 before running it.I run it nice and slow.If you can find this sugar,try it with your column.I think you will like it.The zulka sugar was bought at walmart,but they dont have it in some stores.If theres a mexican market in your town,they probably have it.
wineo
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

Thanks for the recipe. I live about 20 miles south of San Francisco. I think I might be able to find a Mexican market somewhere. :-)
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

the reason why I personally go for 95% is for making liqueuers. The double run vodka I was making was nice as it was, but just didnt cut it for making liqueurs as I wanted orange to taste like orange and apple to taste like apple.

If you like the subtle flavour imparted, try chucking in small amounts of herbs into the still charge for an experiment, just steer clear of clove.
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

rangaz wrote:If you like the subtle flavour imparted, try chucking in small amounts of herbs into the still charge for an experiment, just steer clear of clove.
Not much of a liqueur drinker but to each his own. Actually, as I get better at all of this the idea is to make really good gins and absinthe so adding herbs is definitely in the future.

First I want to get down making a simple drinking vodka and getting my pot still skills up with grain and fruit distillations. I would like to get my reflux running very cleanly and consistently and learn more about making good cuts and managing heat in my potstill.

If I were doing it all over again I'd have made my first still. I'm sure everyone who buys says that at some point. As soon as I stumble across a few feet of 2-3" copper lying around I'll start my next project.
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine