help ! wine may turn to vinegar ?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

udiraz
Bootlegger

help ! wine may turn to vinegar ?

Post by udiraz »

Hi.
I am new to making alcohol at home.
Yesterday I got about 200 KG of grapes (grapes for eating, not wine grapes).
They made about 20 brix (1.086 SG) juice. no added sugar.
I want to make grapes brandy, of course.

The guy that I got the grapes from also crushed them for me, and put some metabisulphite.
I think there were some percent of rotten grapes there, and some raisins as well.

I put in the containers, and they ferment nicely even without any yeast I added despite the metabisulphite. could it be that it turns into vinegar ? I am not sure at all I can identify the smell of vinegar in all those smells that comes from the containers, and I am absolutely not experienced in making any kind of alcohol at home.

Early this morning, I added some more metabisulphite, since I planned on adding wine yeast this evening (it is late morning now in Israel :D ).
Well, any advises ? is there a chance that I will get vinegar instead of wine for my brandy ?
Should I add my wine yeast, or leave the crushed grapes as is ?

and, for sharing and fun, here are some pictures:
Thanks a lot !

That's the crushed grapes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2en803gjpimg ... 9.jpg?dl=0

The big ones are 60L, and the small one is 30L
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn485r85uyukc ... 9.jpg?dl=0

And here's the SG read about two hours after the crush:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2en803gjpimg ... 9.jpg?dl=0
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: help ! wine may turn to vinegar ?

Post by NZChris »

You need to get your plan together before you start.

If you are making wine, SO2 can be good .... for brandy, bad, especially if you don't have a lot of copper in your still, as the sulfur will be distilled and stink up your brandy.
udiraz
Bootlegger

Post by udiraz »

Thanks Chris.
I will have it in mind for the next time.
My still is all copper, though, will that be ok ?

Anyway, what do you think about the vinegar issue ? it is bothering me... is there a way I can tell if my mash is making alcohol or vinegar ?
I am worried because I thought that after adding bisulphite there should be no fermentation, but there is ( I guess I am also worried because I lack the experience :-) )

Also, what do you think about the yeast ? will it be a good idea to add wine yeast, or just let the grapes ferment as is (and they do) ?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Right now, it is not making vinegar. In a few days, if aerated, or left open to the air, it will start making vinegar. Best you do spend some time in the next few days learning about that.

I don't know if your copper in your still will do the job or not. I've never put SO2 in ferments intended for my still. The only product I stilled that possibly had some SO2 at the the start had been aging in it's barrel for a couple of years before I got it, and was no problem.
udiraz
Bootlegger

Post by udiraz »

Thanks chris
I am relieved now :-)

Well, I did read a lot about it, but when it comes to money time, everything I read becomes one big mess in my head.
Actually, most of my reading is in this website and forum.
The moto I try to stick to is what you and Jimbo wrote here somewhere - don't overthink it, and keep it simple. Oh, and I also not adding sugar, although a lot of people recommended me to :-)

Thanks !
udiraz
Bootlegger

Post by udiraz »

Another thing - about the SO2 - is it possible somehow to get rid of it, if it smells and tastes in the brandy, or is my brandy doomed for ever ?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

udiraz wrote:Another thing - about the SO2 - is it possible somehow to get rid of it, if it smells and tastes in the brandy, or is my brandy doomed for ever ?
MDH posted a method of getting rid of it. I've never done this. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 8&start=30

If it makes nice wine, you could bottle it. I stole a bit from my brandy ferment this year and bottled it, but they are definitely not good wine grapes and didn't make anything I will be letting friends sample.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Please upload you pictures directly to this site rather than externally hosting... Some here, including me, won't view externally hosted images due to security concerns... There are also several topics, one authored by me, in the Forum Rules, Notifications and Helpful Hints forum, which covers the Why as well as how to manage images...
udiraz
Bootlegger

Post by udiraz »

I orobably missed your thread.
I tried to put those pics as the images but failed to.
I will figure this out...
thanks !

Any good advice about my questions ?
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Vinegar is made from alcohol, you must make alcohol, then it can become vinegar.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.