Gelatinization Temps for Unmalted Grains

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Gelatinization Temps for Unmalted Grains

Post by Jimbo »

Mitchy can always be relied upon to be Mr Counterpoint. We'll respectfully disagree on this tannin bitterness coming through the distillate, and a couple other things. I think tannins is like the incredibly bitter wormword in Absinthe that you will never taste in the distillate but will curl your tongue in the maceration jug with the herbs and neutral. Ive done 100% this and that, with no corn, and there isint a sign of tannins. Pretty sure I can taste tannins, been around the wine making tannic acid block, and sparged beer too hot in the past.

Anyway, as far as this notoriety as some kind of ag guru. screw that, im here learning like all of you. There's lots of us here that do AG's in a big way and knows their shit, Mitchy is one of them. Some just dont post much. DFITZ is one, but from some chats we've had, he's a silent guru of the spirit, filled many a barrel. There's lots around that know a thing or 3. I wish more would speak up on the AG front. I never asked to be pegged a guru, just sharing what I know to help others, and dont mind blabbering away at the keyboard if I think it may help someone.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Jimbo I know I have deemed you that with all the respect one could offer, in high regard because you're not a pompous blow hard saying do the reading and giving those of us that ask a tongue lashing from some self inflated throne.
I will refrain from addressing you as such, there certainly is no harm or disrespect intended. You are still one of the few some can turn to for the wealth of knowledge you are willing to share to benefit those of us that yearn to learn beyond a bag of granulated sugar, I thank you for that.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, self inflated blowhard, thats funny, I try not to be. Its all good somo, love this forum, and its great helping someone over a hump and then seeing them have success, I enjoy that immensely. cheers bud. anyway thats a stroll off gelatinization, so I better go find the bailiff to whack my own peepee. I hope she's cute....
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jimbo wrote: I never asked to be pegged a guru, just sharing what I know
Ha, a rose is a rose is a guru. It is the breadth and depth, the very girth of your experience and knowledge that makes you a guru whether you petitioned for it or not! Yes, you are here learning like the rest of us, and you have shared a tremendous amount of info over the years...Don't self inflate too much though, you are in good company with many other gurus throughout the forum. You are welcome to stroll anywhere you would like in my threads. :wave: (now go tell Halfbaked he's not a vulture, I think you hurt his feelings) :(

So, the tannin/husk thing... I'm not sure this applies to what I'm doing either way. The only grain I've ever gotten with the husk still on was malted barley. Are most grains from the feed store de-husked? Do folks use a lot of grains that still have a husk? I guess for any unmalted grains that I would use, I would look for a de-husked version.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Half baked and I are good, we drank together. :ebiggrin: Anyway he called himself a vulture. But I dont know why, he didnt ask for the bottles I gave him. I just gave them to him because he's my friend.

Vultures are folks like my band mates. I bring a fifth over and its gone before I even turn the amp on. I bring 2 over and theyre gone before the nights over. I dont bring any over and they whine at me. Vultures.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

MitchyBourbon wrote:I like corn. Just thought is say that.
+1 :thumbup:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Jimbo wrote: I bring a fifth over and its gone before I even turn the amp on. I bring 2 over and theyre gone before the nights over.
Dang, no wonder you crank out so much product, that's a lot to keep up with. :shock:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

shit if that was my only problem.... When you start adding up how much you might drink, how much goes poof around the fire with friends, or other get togethers, at a friends party, at band practice, gifts, HD get togethers, yadda yadda you might just find that number could be something like 100 fifths a year. And if it did happen to be 100 fifths a year by chance, that would be three 5 gallon barrels of 62% :wtf: jus sayin
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

That's a problem I run into, never enough. Folks like the good drink no hangover stuff, I've offered to start building friends column so they can make their own and leave me some.
While on the gelatinization subject, I've recently found adding a bit of cold water to the grain pre boiling water steep seemed to make the whole process so much easier.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

SoMo wrote:adding a bit of cold water to the grain pre boiling water steep seemed to make the whole process so much easier.
I've been doing the room temp backset presoak, just enough to cover the corn, for about 24 hrs before dumping the boiling water into the mix. I've read that helps, but either way it just makes me feel good.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Jimbo wrote:Mitchy can always be relied upon to be Mr Counterpoint. We'll respectfully disagree on this tannin bitterness coming through the distillate, and a couple other things. I think tannins is like the incredibly bitter wormword in Absinthe that you will never taste in the distillate but will curl your tongue in the maceration jug with the herbs and neutral. Ive done 100% this and that, with no corn, and there isint a sign of tannins. Pretty sure I can taste tannins, been around the wine making tannic acid block, and sparged beer too hot in the past.

Anyway, as far as this notoriety as some kind of ag guru. screw that, im here learning like all of you. There's lots of us here that do AG's in a big way and knows their shit, Mitchy is one of them. Some just dont post much. DFITZ is one, but from some chats we've had, he's a silent guru of the spirit, filled many a barrel. There's lots around that know a thing or 3. I wish more would speak up on the AG front. I never asked to be pegged a guru, just sharing what I know to help others, and dont mind blabbering away at the keyboard if I think it may help someone.
ha! You are a guru in my book Jimbo. Embtrace it. We all have our roles to play. :thumbup:
I'm goin the distance...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Jimbo wrote:No fuck that. Corn will not gelatinize below 170.

Correct, husks can add bitter tannins. But do these come through the still, no I dont think so.
I made a 100% barley whisky out of steam crimped, unmalted barley that was gelatinized above 200f.
The tannins can through, drinking the shine was like chewing on the raw grain.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

shadylane wrote:
Jimbo wrote:No fuck that. Corn will not gelatinize below 170.

Correct, husks can add bitter tannins. But do these come through the still, no I dont think so.
I made a 100% barley whisky out of steam crimped, unmalted barley that was gelatinized above 200f.
The tannins can through, drinking the shine was like chewing on the raw grain.
That sounds good to me, I enjoy the grains way more than the taste of charred wood. Used to love commercial bourbon then had some of those grains on a light toast. Perfection in my book!
stevea
Novice

Post by stevea »

Old thread but ...
Small granule/Large granule has to do with the size of the starch granules as they grow in the grain endosperm - not about milling size.