simple mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

simple mash

Post by Guest »

i was looking at the nutrition facts on a gallon bottle of apple cider and it seemed to have a lot of suger (30 g per serving). I can buy this VERY cheaply. Would it work to just buy a jug of it, throw some yeast in, and have it ferment? would i need to add extra sugar? or would it spoil before the yeast really started to ferment, b/c it's supposed to be refrigerated?

Also, would grapefruit juice work? at the store, they sell huge jugs of this for cheap. I think it may be too acidic though.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I've fermented apple juice before. I know it has potasium sorbate in it as a preservative, but it has never failed to ferment when a decent sized starter was used.

There are 454 grams per lb. Calculate the amount of sugar in the juice then just add enough sugar to equal 2 lbs. per gallon of wash and ferment away.

Yes grapefruit and orange juice will ferment.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post by Guest »

i've heard that when apple/orange juice ferments, the yeast produces a large amount of methanol. is there any way to tell which juices will give only small amounts of methanol? i don't like hangovers.
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

not only a hangover, methanol is more dangerous as you may think, if you are worried of methanol in your distillate just take a bigger cut on the foreshots (150 ml).
- - - - - - -

--Fishing and Distilling... What else is there to do???.--
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

At least around me, apple juice is usually pastuerized and doesn't have preservatives, while apple cider often is not pastuerized and has preservatives. Of course, a careful reading of the ingredient list on the "nutrition facts" label will tell you if the cider/juice has something in it deterimental to your yeast.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner

Post by Guest »

well, i have decided to follow the law and abstain from distilling for awhile. thus, i have no way to remove any methanol and need to find something with a low methanol creation potential to brew.

Post by Guest »

because i'm just making wine here.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:because i'm just making wine here.
If your just making wine, you wont have to worry about the methanol. I have made many batches of hard cider and apple wine. I never really had problems with hangovers from it.