Sloowww ferments

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tracker0945
Trainee

Sloowww ferments

Post by tracker0945 »

My ferments, 2 sugar washes and 1 UJSM have been getting slower and slower. One has been down for 12 days, starting SG 1.060 and at the moment it is sitting on 1.048.
I used to get these finished in 6 or 8 days, depending on the weather.
Out of frustration I measured the pH and all washes were around 2.8 to 3.1
All of the searches I have done refering to low SG have come up with things like baking soda, garden lime, calcium carbonate etc but specifically state not to be used in the ferment.
Is there any thing that anyone knows of that I can adjust the wash SG with to see if I can speed things up a bit?
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
Dunderhead

sloow ferments

Post by Dunderhead »

I used lime--back off on backsets
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I also have found UJSM will slow down, if you overdo the backset. Not sure about a sugar wash though. It should not matter, as you simply start it fresh every time, right?

H.
Skymeat
Novice

Post by Skymeat »

What would the Ideal Ph be?
I may be surrounded by insanity but I am not insane!
Dunderhead

sloow ferments

Post by Dunderhead »

No if you start frish it shouldot be slow unless
infected wong temp ph 4-5
I have yest going frum 20 years ago i did't
use backset in fermenter Just gran+water
scooped old grain with rake "wire baskit with handle"
added new grain and water
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

The UJSM is on its 4th generation but has only had 2 lots of back set at no more that 15 - 20% each time, no back set in this last one.
The sugar washes are each on their 2nd run but as they were only travelling slow, I did throw in extra yeast on day 3.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

4.5 to 5.2,as in any grain mash.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I'm on my 11th gen UJSM. It's the color of mud and smells like applebutter-beer. I started out using 1/4 backset. After the 2nd or 3rd one I was averaging 1 week for ferment. About 8th gen, I increased the backset to 35%. It starting taking 9-10 days. On this last one, it was really starting sluggish. Normally, as soon as I toss the backset/sugar in, it will take off.

This time, it was 2 days and I barely saw activity. So, I took some PH 5 balancer. And mixed a "very" small amount in a tablespoon of water..and just tossed it in. Gave the fermenter a couple of turns. And viola! gurgle, gurgle, gurgle. No. 11..coming up.

http://www.brewhaus.com/5_2_pH_Adjuster_p/30002350.htm
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

From the link: "Adjusts your mash to a pH of 5.2 regardless of the starting pH.."

Yeah? How?
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Under Technical Specs it says: Proprietary blend of Phosphate buffersUnder Additional Information: Use 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of mash water.

How propreitary they actually are...well...who knows. There are some interesting threads here in the forums as well as (I believe) on the main site..that deal with PH imballances and how to correct them. Commonly, over time, or with the addition of too much backset...the fermentation can get stuck. It depends on whether the condition is too much acidity or too little (low ph or high ph) as to what you'd use to correct it. The addition of backset "lowers" the PH over time.
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

Yeah, I've sorta got a grip on why the pH goes down etc, I just find it curious how any product could claim to restore the pH to a certain point (in this case 5.2) without measurment of the starting pH and rather careful dosing.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Don't really know. Just know it worked to get me out of a hole..and it's easier than trying to mix up something on my own. It doesn't say a whole lot on the package either. .."a blend of propreitary food grade buffers, etc., ..."
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

Yeah, if it works I guess there's no point trying to over-analyse it...
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Actually, it's a good question alice...ie..does it actually work to make ph exactly 5.2 regardless of starting PH. I just don't have an answer. It wasn't really necessary for the issue I was having. I was just happy it worked :)
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

A lot of guys use that stuff in beer mashes.It works like a charm.If you decrese the amount of backset that you use after the 3rd or 4th gen,you can avoid this problem.The best thing to do is if you see it starting to slow down some,skip using backset on the next run and it will raise the ph some.