Ferment/distil in boiler

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Re: Ferment/distil in boiler

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Butch27 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 pm
Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 pm .... a non jacketed 26 gallon boiler with agitator and 4", 4 plate SS column with perforated copper plates, dephleg, and shotgun condenser is $1350.

a 26 jacketed boiler is $3500
That would be a problem. I could never drink enough to justify that. I hardly drink enough to justify what I spent on mine. I am not sure what kind of skills you have but building something yourself might be the way to go. If you are ok with the $1350, it should probably work but I have no hands on experience that says it will.
I would build it but what I charge for my business, and the limited time I have during the off season... I'd rather support another small business
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

i do this all the time, I have all grains and yeast in the boiler, heat with a big, wide flame and keep open to stir until it gets pretty warm to the touch. Give it one more big swirling stir and seal it up and run it. No scorching or burnt taste. Super easy clean up, crud just wipes off with a rag. I like the added flavors. I also think I get more yield and no squeezing bags of corn juice.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Rather than going to the work and expense of the double boiler why not spend the money on the ergonomics of your system? Get a march or chugger pump, it will do all your brewery transfer, and transfer to your fermenter. Purchase a stainless conical fermenter, you can then do no chill to sterilize anything you will have missed. You can dump the trub/yeast from the conical then dump straight from the conical to the boiler via the racking arm, or use the same march pump since your no longer concerned with infection at this point. A conical with wheels, racking arm and leg extensions will cost you a fraction of a jacketed boiler, between that and a march pump you will have solved the lions share of your issues. I have a terrible back and cannot lift a glass carboy full of brew without issues, mine made it so I could actually brew again.
:)