Acronyms.....

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillsmokin
Novice

Acronyms.....

Post by stillsmokin »

I've been reading here for 3 months, my still is almost complete. (building a custom stainless flange to switch reflux or pot columns has stalled my progress.)

I've been using the search function and of course, the wiki. Many hours reading posts old and new and still not sure about one acronym; AG.

Is this short for "yeast nutrients"? For a while there I thought it meant "All- Grain"

UJSM and DWWG are two that I figured out quickly enough, but I did have a hard time finding the difference between sparging/draining also.

thanks for all the help!
A1 to Portland on #19
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

AG is added to the yeast. In distilleries, Amyloglucosidase (AG) is added to convert the non-fermentable sugars in the mash to the fermentable sugars. This is best done during fermentation. It's not so easy during the mashing as AG shall be used in max 40C (104F) and will be destroyed in warmer mash. To duplicate the fermentation of a distillery, AG must be added. It is mixed with the yeast. It also increases the alcohol yield so the yeast pays for itself.
--Taken from the Gert Strand web page with info about this whiskey yeast

cheers

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I was going to suggest you use the glossary but we haven't put in entries for AG and Glucoamylase yet
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Draining is exactly what it says...sparging is "washing out" the last bit of good stuff from the barley hulls (or whatever) with hot water.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
stillsmokin
Novice

acronyms

Post by stillsmokin »

Thanks again guys,

I can see why folks don't want to type that one out much.

Amyloglucosidase, glucoamylase : -Are these the same enzyme? or close relatives?
A1 to Portland on #19
Aidas
Rumrunner

Re: acronyms

Post by Aidas »

stillsmokin wrote:
Amyloglucosidase, glucoamylase : -Are these the same enzyme? or close relatives?
It's my understanding that these are synonyms. I'm not an expert, but this thread has got me thinking about trying AG. If it's a no-cook enzyme, it would be a great addition to UJSM, wouldn't it? It wouild kick the ABV of the wash a bit, and make it more effecient, without losing the simplicity which makes it an awesome recipe.

Aidas
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
mrotch
Novice

Re: acronyms

Post by mrotch »

stillsmokin wrote:Thanks again guys,

I can see why folks don't want to type that one out much.

Yes, amyloglucosidase and glucoamylase are the same,
Life's too short to drink cheap whiskey
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

My experiance with the AG. I use whiskey yeast with AG on every grain run of whatever type. When doing the UJSM for instance, I will let the fermentation run for a week or even up to 10 days. I have had runs that totally used up 70% of the graiins, grey oat meal colered. A lot more sweet corn flavor and a higher resultant percentage brew. I then add more AG with each iteration. Takes a lot longer, but I like the results, and I have never had an infection waiting longer or worse congeners. An excellent yeast to start out with and continue also.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
stillsmokin
Novice

AG

Post by stillsmokin »

Well, my list for my first visit to the brew supply is getting even longer now!

I'm gonna be like a kid in a candy shop.
A1 to Portland on #19