nastiest mash you've seen or done?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

nastiest mash you've seen or done?

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I got in touch with my long time friend whose father-in-law made the first moonshine I ever tasted. Rotgut nasty stuff back in the very early 80's.

So I asked him more about it and mentioned that if memory served me correct his father-in-law distilled off wine for his hooch.

My pal laughed and said "Ha! Yeh either that or Gatorade!"

Now I was unaware that you can ferment Gatorade, and if you managed to do it, would you dare taint your still by charging and distilling Gatorade? And if so, would you actually have the courage to taste your distillate?

Yikes. Anyone tried it?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Dunderhead

nastiest

Post by Dunderhead »

Back when I was a yongen late 40es erly50
nabor made shine horshe feed,made in big
wood water vat thire be rats in thire floting
Bob E
Novice

Post by Bob E »

never heard of anyone using gatorade
I did run across a recipie for beer using mountain dew (soda pop).
haven't tried it yet...
"Hey guys... I don't think sitting on a rooftop drinking ram's piss is the way to go."
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I guess it would be gatorwine!
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

distilling Crocodiles ????
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

manu de hanoi wrote:distilling Crocodiles ????
Shhh... don't let the secret out to anybody. :D

I expect that there's enough preservatives in that stuff to prevent any fermentation whatsover.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

You can ferment just about anything with a large starter,and a cup of yeast.Not that you would want to!
MikeyT
Swill Maker

Post by MikeyT »

My worst was when some wild yeast or something got into the mash. Smelled damn horrible. After running though, it wasn't half bad. Me and my son managed to swig it down it over a month or so. My Daughter in Law loved it! Said it reminded her of her Uncles stuff over in Louisanna.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yeh

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I thought the same thing about preservatives but trust me this guy isn't being thorough enough for a starter. I'd like to see if it works with some bakers yeast.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

grandpa used to mix his "warshtub swill" with wine. They called it purple cow. I don't know if they ever ran it again after that. But, I know..they'd get toe up on it.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Let me preface this by saying the content of this post is not for beginners by any means. It deals with fungus that is completely safe but could easily be confused with other fungus.

A couple years ago, I set out to find the elusive, Aspergillus Niger mold.
I started by making some corn mush. For those not familiar with this it is a boiled and then baked corn dish made from mostly corn and water. I generally go on to fry this sliced up for breakfast.

Back to the story. Aspergillus niger is a swiss army knife of enzymes and is the common equivalent to Aspergillus Oryzae which is Koji Mold for fermenting sake.
So I collected some mud samples around my place, eight total different sources. I was looking for the particular strain that would convert corn starch.
I added water to the mud samples and let it settle. I swabbed the liquid from the top of the mud samples onto 48 mush samples in small disposable cups, and put them in my egg incubator. In five days I was blessed with exactly one sample that had the mold I wanted. I identified it with my digital microscope.

So now I had my mold samples all spoored out. I made a large batch of hominy because the texture of hominy is similar to that of rice when done well. I inoculated a small portion of hominy and put it back in the incubator. After two days the spoors had grown the expected web of roots and was just starting to get a shadow of black spoors on top.
I then ground and mixed this large growth of fungus with the rest of the hominy which was also ground.
Then I inoculated with yeast and covered with water. Man did this stuff ferment. It made the expected amount of alcohol, but it had a really bad side affect.

This was the worst, puke smelling fermentation I ever did. When I filtered the liquid from the corn, the smell was so bad my wife smelled it through closed doors, in the house from 250 feet away.

When I distilled it, the scent of the spirit was not as bad as the original wash but it did stink like puke. To this day this is the worst wash screwup I have ever done.

There is good news to this story though. I repeated the experiment twice more with the same spoors. The second batch came out a cross between sake and corn being sweet corn and dirt like mushroom scent and flavor. The third batch was the same as the second. It is not bad but not my favorite.
The best result is that this mold can convert uncooked starch to sugar at the same time yeast ferments the sugar and I have made up to 22% abv with bakers yeast due to there never being much sugar in the wash at a time. Also, this mold makes citric acid out of sucrose sugar too. The citric acid left from the growth of the mold contains the alpha and beta amylases for converting starches.
I have not been very successful making the results consistent. There is too much "Dirt" around to not end up with contaminated batches of mold.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Man I feel like a hack after reading your posts Pint, I have much to learn! :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

I too feel like I might be just piling things together after reading pinto's experiments.
But year before last I had a bumper crop of the biggest, sweetest and juicest watermellons that I had ever laid eyes on. So the great thought hit me to juice these things out and make so "sweet red wine", well come to find out, I was not as well versed in the watermellon wine making as I had thought. I am still not sure what happened, but ferment temps were way high, and the amount of yeast pitch was way low for the amount, about 60 gals. After a few days of stiring the cap in and so on the mash took on a very sour smell, and a somewhat sour taste. In keeping track of the sg. it fermented off to very dry and with alittle added sugar made the most awful wine that I have to date ever made. Armed with my distillation knowledge, limited as it was and to some extent still is, this went into the pot. Came out crystal clear and I was sure had everthing fixed. Not so by along ways, the aftertaste of something just not right had proceeded right out of the pot and into my new bottle. I was still not worried, I placed this batch in the filter unit I had made up and sure that the fix was only hours away, nope not a chance, this stuff not only smelled bad still yet but had a taste that no normal human could stomach. No more watermellons this year, not in wine anyways.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Check out jack kellers wine sight for watermellon wine.Its not an easy thing to make.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblognew.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

Thanks wineo, very interesting read, but no one should smell or taste anything like I wind up with. :shock: That was alot of work to juice out 60 gals. by hand. :evil:
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Dont feel bad,I made some a few years back,and it turned out nasty also.
I never tried it again.
logwarrior
Novice

Post by logwarrior »

i was thinking about doing a pepsi wash...i looked at the ingredients and there's no preservatives
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

One shovel of fresh horse turds, sugar and hot backset to sterilize. Added cold water and pitched the yeast. It was one of the fastest fermentations I've done. Still have full jar of the shine, smells good, but don't know what it tastes like.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Go on, Shady, take one for the team. Just a little sip. It will be a noble sacrifice for the art and science of distillation.

But make sure you tell us the result quickly, just in case...

:mrgreen:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

shadylane wrote:One shovel of fresh horse turds, sugar and hot backset to sterilize. Added cold water and pitched the yeast.

Why?
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

One shovel of fresh horse turds, sugar and hot backset to sterilize. Added cold water and pitched the yeast. It was one of the fastest fermentations I've done. Still have full jar of the shine, smells good, but don't know what it tastes like.
I can understand how this was a fast fement, as most animals do not digest near all the feed they eat, kinda like it is cheaper to fatten two hogs instead of one, but I too have to ask WHY would you make shine from it?
rumbaba
Swill Maker

Post by rumbaba »

shadylane wrote:One shovel of fresh horse turds, sugar and hot backset to sterilize. Added cold water and pitched the yeast. It was one of the fastest fermentations I've done. Still have full jar of the shine, smells good, but don't know what it tastes like.
Who ever said that you can't shine shit? :lol:
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

rumbaba wrote:Who ever said that you can't shine shit? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

HookLine wrote:Go on, Shady, take one for the team. Just a little sip. It will be a noble sacrifice for the art and science of distillation.
But make sure you tell us the result quickly, just in case...
I second that.
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
logwarrior
Novice

Post by logwarrior »

arkansas wrote:
I can understand how this was a fast fement, as most animals do not digest near all the feed they eat, kinda like it is cheaper to fatten two hogs instead of one, but I too have to ask WHY would you make shine from it?
would you even think about drinking it without distilling it?
All my friends are wineo's and i like gin...bastards
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

Not sure I follow you at all logwarrior, I am pretty sure that at no time would I drink something like this, but just for the record, there has been the time that, well, never will know exactly what I did. :shock:
Bob E
Novice

Post by Bob E »

shadylane: find an unsuspecting victim, who you don't like so much to take a few sips. Then relay the description of the taste :lol:
Sounds like a good idea for makin' fuel.
"Hey guys... I don't think sitting on a rooftop drinking ram's piss is the way to go."
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

well, if you don't taste it you may never know the difference between shit and shine-ola.
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

Bob E wrote:shadylane: find an unsuspecting victim, who you don't like so much to take a few sips. Then relay the description of the taste :lol:
Note to self, "sample others stuff at own risk" :shock:
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

well, if you don't taste it you may never know the difference between shit and shine-ola.

:lol: :lol: :lol: