Old shiners secrets

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

charliewaffles
Novice

Old shiners secrets

Post by charliewaffles »

I had the good fortune to spend some time with a 90 year old shiner that has been "doin' it for more than 65 years". He said all he makes is "corn likr" I finally got him to tell me what his secret to making his shine is.

What he told me is that he always uses a copper thumper and also always sprouts the corn five days until you can just see the green sprout. He says that when the corn sprouts there is a chemical and flavor change that happens to the corn and that it ferments better.

I'm throwing this out there to get your opinions. I didn't know that the material the thumper was made out of was a big deal. The sprouting of the corn makes sense.

All I know is those that have had his liquor love it and then start fighting each other :D So, its got to be good.... :clap:

Cheers
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Old shiners secrets

Post by firewater69 »

malt corn definitely has a different flavor than cracked corn, it makes for a fine white whiskey also. can't speak about the thumper as I don't run one yet.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

If you wanna make true old timey shine you gotta run it off a coon pecker or it don't count.

But seriously Charlie there are some fantastic reads in the "history and foke lore" section. No recipes I don't think but a lot of talk about the good ol days in there.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

charliewaffles wrote:I had the good fortune to spend some time with a 90 year old shiner that has been "doin' it for more than 65 years". He said all he makes is "corn likr" I finally got him to tell me what his secret to making his shine is.

What he told me is that he always uses a copper thumper and also always sprouts the corn five days until you can just see the green sprout. He says that when the corn sprouts there is a chemical and flavor change that happens to the corn and that it ferments better.

I'm throwing this out there to get your opinions. I didn't know that the material the thumper was made out of was a big deal. The sprouting of the corn makes sense.

All I know is those that have had his liquor love it and then start fighting each other :D So, its got to be good.... :clap:

Cheers
Just an opinion but far as the copper thumper goes Id think it was for taste . Some believe and Im one of them that ya need some copper in vapor path and in mash/wash.I can remember seeing steam outfits that Boiler was steel still was wood and only metal was thumper and worm being copper.I was always told if ya let corn sprouts turn green likker had more grassy taste rather then earthy
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Sounds to me like the only to know for sure is to try out the advice you're given. Let us know how it turns out. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

No matter how much they may love you, no old shinner will tell you his best kep t secrets-those he will take to the grave. After all, he bought and paid for all that knowledge through his hard work, keeping of secrets, long hours, and lifetime of learning what to do, what not, what works okay, and what works best. Sometimes it may be simply what to do when for the best results. Some inherent wisdom was just learned and becomes second hand and is not readily recognized as a "secret". The same secrets the ole timer takes to his grave remain to be found for thise who dont know. However, only time and effort will help unmystify these "secrets"!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ga flatwoods wrote:No matter how much they may love you, no old shinner will tell you his best kep t secrets-those he will take to the grave. After all, he bought and paid for all that knowledge through his hard work, keeping of secrets, long hours, and lifetime of learning what to do, what not, what works okay, and what works best. Sometimes it may be simply what to do when for the best results. Some inherent wisdom was just learned and becomes second hand and is not readily recognized as a "secret". The same secrets the ole timer takes to his grave remain to be found for thise who dont know. However, only time and effort will help unmystify these "secrets"!
Ga Flatwoods
So true . The cook has to drink the mistakes . That leads to fewer mistakes ..............
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Problem is they don't know what they know.
figure everybody knows it.

So I'm tole
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

goose eye wrote:Problem is they don't know what they know.

So I'm tole
So much said with so few words. Goose your a gold mine
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Tater wrote:
goose eye wrote:Problem is they don't know what they know.

So I'm tole
So much said with so few words. Goose your a gold mine
Some inherent wisdom was just learned and becomes second hand and is not readily recognized as a "secret". The same secrets the ole timer takes to his grave remain to be found for thise who dont know. 

That is what I said as well goose. Agree.
ga flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods