gonna try woods booner recipe

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: gonna try woods booner recipe

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I like it blended with my corn malt 50/50.
Those enzymes are a real game changer for thick mashes, eh?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Malt will do same but not as fast . Have some all corn malt left will mix a little and see cant hurt as both are fine drinks.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

My ferment with this yeast finally finished. Took 3 weeks! Seems a bit long to me, but whatever. Constant 65 degrees might have been a bit too cold. Smells great. Will run it shortly. Filtering that corn meal is a PITA. Yeah, yeah I know.....patience.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

sounds about right .good luck
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

would the addition of rice hulls in the mix help with the settling of the solids and or will they alter the taste during ferment on the grain?

I use them when I do my white wheat mash to stop the clumping. The sparge waters flow right through.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Pesty wrote:would the addition of rice hulls in the mix help with the settling of the solids and or will they alter the taste during ferment on the grain?

I use them when I do my white wheat mash to stop the clumping. The sparge waters flow right through.
Tater knows more about it than me, but I was able to rack off the clear stuff right down to the solids. It's the solids that take time to filter. I made a filter by cutting off the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and then using a bungee cord wrapped around it to hold my filter material in place over the opening and then setting that bucket just inside another. Worked great, just takes a while. Tater used one he bought. See his previous post in this thread. I will defer to others as to the rice hulls.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Ran this today. Am quite pleased with this right off the still. The hearts have a nice flavor and surprisingly smooth for white. I will air out for a couple days then oak and age for a few months. This should turn out to be some of the best I've made. Time will tell.

For not having done an AG, there were trials and tribulations for me. But, now that I have some experience under my belt, I would do it again knowing what not to do and do better next time around. Thanks Tater.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Tater wrote:
bitter wrote:I was wondering if had this in an olive barrel with a lid I could seal using compresses air to put 3-4 psi in it.. might speed up filtering?

B
Ive thought about that myself my barrels will seal with rings. Wouldn't take much to add small hole for air vale on a inner tube to stick threw. Using tube as a bladder.However gravity seems to be the cleanest way.
Note to this Ive been filtering out the booner sugar head that I added 10 lbs of converted rye with enzines.It made it thicker to drain on its own and stopped . However I took a qt of sugarwater added to it .Put on barrel cap and ring once it started fermenting agin to seal and it built up pressure in barreland has started to filter agin still slow but getting there.