Should I Try It?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Goofy
Novice

Should I Try It?

Post by Goofy »

I have 2 five gallon fermenters that are a simple sugar wash. The catch is that they have been out in the garage since early November. The wash is crystal clear, with no mold or other nasties in it. I thought I would do a stripping run and see if I could get the alcohol out of it without too much trouble. Does this sound OK to you'all?
Got Booze?
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I'd run it. If it smells like "normal" fermented wash, then by all means run it.

H.
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

go for it.
Goofy
Novice

Post by Goofy »

I went out to the garage and popped the lids and both fermenters smelled OK to me so, I will fire it up in the morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!
Got Booze?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

run it, that stuff keeps a long time if its under air lock
Goofy
Novice

Post by Goofy »

Believe it or not, there is still water in the airlocks after 3 and a half months!
Got Booze?
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Have you tasted it ?
Goofy
Novice

Post by Goofy »

Hey New Moonshiner, that was your 500th post! Yeah i sipped it and it was'nt bad at all. I was thinking of running without any packing, and just doing this first run fast. Should i leave the packing in or would it be faster without it? Would it make any difference?
Got Booze?
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Goofy , looks like youre right that is 500 posts.. lol anyways reason I ask have you tasted it .. when it comes to sugar washes myself Im one of the guys that think crap in crap out .... so if it tasted ok and not like vinegar then sounds like you will have a good output product .. now the other question packing or not .. if youre are looking to do a stripping run then i would not use packing .. that is for the reflux process mainly to get the abv higher and separate the different alcohols.. if youre stripping it (concentrating it ) for a second run that is ..if you are looking for a high abv (which does take some time in front of the still then use the packing and run it sloooooooooow..you didnt mention if you were using a reflux or a pot with some packing in the tube .. Im taking it that you have a reflux ..stripping the run and saving up a few to do a single run is what some do it cuts way down on the time in front of the still ..if youre looking for vodka then my opinion is is does not matter two runs or one ..depends on how much time you have you will end up about the same product taste wise and abv wise..thats just my take on it I hope this answered youre question
NM.
Goofy
Novice

Post by Goofy »

Thanks New Moonshiner! I hear ya. There isnt any getting out of the time involved. I have a reflux column that will split in half to make a potstill and I have never tried it that way. Trying to cheat! :D I will go ahead and do it the right way with the ruflux.
Got Booze?
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Sounds like you are on the right path Goofy, unless you are going to save up a couple of runs then there is really no need to double run in your case .. I imagine sooner or later you will use the pot head (half of that rig ) after a while sugar washes get boring ..just remember sloooooow is the key.. for that theres really no short cut for a great product.. good luck and be safe .