Foreshots

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mtn-Hi
Novice

Foreshots

Post by Mtn-Hi »

If I am tossing the foreshots from a pot still and keeping heads and tails to redistill in a valved reflux, do I still need to toss more foreshots when I redistill the heads and tails?
Mtn-Hi
Novice

Post by Mtn-Hi »

Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear or perhaps I'm doing something wrong??

I am making a corn mash with some rye and barley malt. I double distill this, toss out the first 150ml and the rest I seperate into 200ml flasks, take the middle portion of this and mix in a little of the late heads and early tails (by taste and smell). I age all that in a charred keg (for as long as I can, which isn't very long) and it comes out a pretty good brew. After several batch though, I accumulate a lot of heads and tails that I don't use. I would like to make a neutral spirit out of those leftovers. My question is do I still need to thow out more foreshots in my neutral spirit runs? Or..... is there something wrong in the process I'm using??
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

Mtn-Hi wrote:My question is do I still need to thow out more foreshots in my neutral spirit runs?
YES
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet

Post by Guest »

Mtn-Hi wrote:Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear or perhaps I'm doing something wrong??

I am making a corn mash with some rye and barley malt. I double distill this, toss out the first 150ml and the rest I seperate into 200ml flasks, take the middle portion of this and mix in a little of the late heads and early tails (by taste and smell). I age all that in a charred keg (for as long as I can, which isn't very long) and it comes out a pretty good brew. After several batch though, I accumulate a lot of heads and tails that I don't use. I would like to make a neutral spirit out of those leftovers. My question is do I still need to thow out more foreshots in my neutral spirit runs? Or..... is there something wrong in the process I'm using??
Better safe than sorry....but I would immagin that all of the foreshots would already be removed.
Mtn-Hi
Novice

Post by Mtn-Hi »

YES
Why? Would there be some Methonal left over from the pot still process? I'm not sure what I'm missing here, what would I be getting in my foreshots? Your capital letters make me think that you are pretty adimant about your answer. Could you please explain?