Best method for seperating corn from mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Best method for seperating corn from mash

Post by bilgriss »

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

skow69 wrote:Didn't I see that in one of my GFs toys?
Most "massaging" devices employ the use of an offset cam on a motor or series of motors.
An invention that was stolen from me in the early 80's did, it was the portable car seat back massage unit.
Hint: never submit an invention to one of those "Invention Submission" companies that advertise on late night television.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Currently at $40 plus shipping...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Variable-Speed- ... 1512259426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

You can move up to the Concrete Vibrator Motor series but that's heavy duty stuff and the prices rise dramatically.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

DAD300 wrote:Another commercial version...
Bakery Sieve.jpg

$850.00 plus shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Do you know how many paint strainer bags you can buy for $850.00?

And how many guys you can hire at Home Depot parking lot to give them the Popeye treatment?

lol
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Unless you are FreeMountainHermit, that is.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=62395

lol lol
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Ok, so I wandered off in a couple directions in this thread and I've come to update and close out.

First of all, I love my filter/shaker. I just did a big batch of murky mucky rice and it was a breeze to filter, never even got my hands wet.
My final rendition of the shaker is a 1/2" bolt loosely through one end of the filter arm, the bearing 16" from that, and then another 16" to the center of the filter.
The offset of the bolt through the bearing is 3/16", and that gives it a really nice vibration at top drill speed.

As for all my rambling about is it worth it in the first place to even bother with filtering if you have the ability to steam strip anyway, I say yes.
I ran the clear low wines first, then added the feints from that run to the trub run. After cuts, both runs taste very similar to me. There is a lot of likker in the spent grains and I'm gonna keep going after it.
All said and done, I ended up with 3 quarts of the trub whiskey, 5 quarts of the clear whiskey, and 2 bottles pulled out of the clear strip as one-and-done raw white corn likker at 90p.
Time will tell if I find a preference for the clear or trub, of if I can ever taste a difference as they age.

Here are a couple vids showing the final shaker in its rice filtering glory. At the end of the first clip I stopped to spread out the damp grains. The second clip shows me doing the second pass on the spread out grains.

Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Awesome! Now that you've got a good working model, it might be nice to write up a concise description in a new thread with links, pics, and videos all in one place and a title which is precise and Google-able. There will be many people building a similar rig, and your work will save others a lot of trouble. Cheers!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Here are a couple vids showing the final shaker in its rice filtering glory. At the end of the first clip I stopped to spread out the damp grains. The second clip shows me doing the second pass on the spread out grains.

I'm not gonna lie, there's something compelling about watching those videos that weirds me out a little.
J0hnni3
Novice

Post by J0hnni3 »

This is a common topic, and it addresses several of the methods, including what is in my own opinion the best one yet.

I've referenced it several times, but had to search. I'd vote for this as a sticky, but maybe place it in the grains section.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

This is an older post, but is this still working well for you, MichiganCornHusker?

Have you tried it with rye mashes or other challenging things to separate?

This is definitely a thread I bookmarked to keep track of it as something to try.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

MtRainier wrote:This is an older post, but is this still working well for you, MichiganCornHusker?
Yep, this is still my method for all my batches.
The barrel mesh filter works great on all grain bills.

It does work better post-ferment, but works well straight from the mash too.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
MtRainier wrote:This is an older post, but is this still working well for you, MichiganCornHusker?
Yep, this is still my method for all my batches.
The barrel mesh filter works great on all grain bills.

It does work better post-ferment, but works well straight from the mash too.
Great! I was looking for exactly a method for fermenting on the grain but then distilling off grain after separating the liquid and had a mop squeezer in my shopping cart but kept looking. I don't have a steam wand or thumper, so I needed a way to separate them after ferment. In beer brewing I'm used to just running a sparge before the boil, but I've never done corn meal/flour or rye.

It sounds like a plan to use someone's corn process I read recently of basically dumping in boiling water and wrapping it up for a long time after stirring to gelatinize it all eventually adding barley malt at the right time and maybe some liquid enzymes, ferment it all up in the drum, separate with these sieves, and run it.

Do you ever stack the sieves with the coarsest one on top like they do sorting gravel or plankton or do you just run the 100 or 200 these days?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

I just st use the 400 micron now.
I’m not trying to remove the powder, just the majority of the bulk.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I just squeeze the mash by hand and run the liquid through a 600 micron filter. If you put the liquid in a fermenter and let it sit a while, the tiny chunks of corn settle and you can siphon off the clear stuff. Not really needed, but if you want pure corn sugar, that is how to get it.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I just st use the 400 micron now.
I’m not trying to remove the powder, just the majority of the bulk.
Thanks!
rednekk88
Novice

Post by rednekk88 »

Has anyone tried or had success with a hyropress?
Seems to me that if the corn isn't ground too fine, this type of press might be effective. Added bonus for being useful in fruit recipes.

https://www.amazon.com/EJWOX-Gallon-Hyd ... M9ATQ&th=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

rednekk88 wrote:Has anyone tried or had success with a hyropress?
Seems to me that if the corn isn't ground too fine, this type of press might be effective. Added bonus for being useful in fruit recipes.

https://www.amazon.com/EJWOX-Gallon-Hyd ... M9ATQ&th=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
WoW - $700 for a washing machine drum ! :shock: Gets a lad to thinkin' ! 8)
rednekk88
Novice

Post by rednekk88 »

Yeah a bit pricey......I could maybe justify if it worked and I used it for other recipes / products.

Always worth keeping an eye out for a used one.
SpiritOf76
Novice

Post by SpiritOf76 »

rgreen2002 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:21 pm
ga flatwoods wrote:
This ia a one hundred pound shrimper's basket. It is rigid and tough slotted all around and in the bottom. The four ounce nonwoven needlepunched geotextile cloth I used draped in this would work excellently to drain the mash with a clear finish. The handles are strong enough to support the weight to allow it to drain. As I have said before, this is "The best all grain straining method I have found to date!"
Ga Flatwoods

Ga... I believe you are talking about the PET Needle-Punch Nonwoven? http://www.ktnonwoven.com/pet-needle-pu ... woven.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow from the Best press...no press thread.

Oddly enough when I put the PET Needle-Punch Nonwoven into the google search I get a lot of hits for pond underliner. This can't possibly be the same stuff could it? It does look a lot like the ebay post stuff you mentioned in that thread... :think:

Hope I didn't hijack! :mrgreen:
4 oz pond filter is definitely a go. the material is purpose-made for drainage. i am going to post a video at ga flatwood's thread. worked like a charm on mud-like cornmeal mash. the pond filter is sort of a "set it and forget it" method. but I think it would be faster using the sawsall vibrator posted later in this thread. that looked pretty easy to set up and a fine idea. (i first bought the wrong stuff - that was 6 oz non woven needle punched geotextile, but it was made for landscaping applications mostly a weed barrier. it was missing the dimension/thickness that the pond filter geotextile has, and didn't drain well at all. the pond filter geotextile is more like a 1/2" thick synthetic blanket.). in a week or two i hope, i'll make a video showing both materials. luckily i have a use for the landscaping fabric, but i'd like to save someone else from making the mistake i made.
in search of a clever signature...