Conical Fermentor Recipe Ideas

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Conical Fermentor Recipe Ideas

Post by pope » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Haven't been on here much, nor have I been distilling. Instead I upped the ante on my brewing system, I'm now running an all-electric HERMS system with a 1/2 bbl temp controlled conical fermentor. I know that's over the top for some of you, and others have voiced questions regarding the value. But for brewing beer and kegging it, this has been a pleasant improvement.

Now that my beer pipeline is full, I'm dreaming up other fermentations it could handle. Immediately these come to mind: birdwatchers, rums, lauter-friendly grain recipes (anything malt heavy that could cook in a false-bottomed mash tun, say 50/50 2-row and rye), fruit juices, and converted flour water (25# flour in 15 gal water is thin enough for a march pump to transfer it to the fermentor).

On-the-grain ferments (sugar washes or otherwise) certainly sound messy, does anyone have experience with trying those in a conical? I'm not much into fruit, but fermenting on the skins for wines or anything else sounds messy, too. The bottom valve is a 1-1/2" butterfly so there is potential to move a fairly viscous ferment. Any sugary substrates I'm forgetting? Any ideas? Just looking for some conversation on what has been tried or what you would try with a conical.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Conical Fermentor Recipe Ideas

Post by Swedish Pride » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Idon't think I'd make any different mashes if I had a conical fermenter, Yep handy for getting the trubs out but the gran bill would be the same.. for me that is, others may differ.
Don't be a dick

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I agree, the conical fermenters I have seen look like they would clean up without problems regardless on what you're making.

Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Should be fine...the 1 1/2" butterfly valve is fine and shouldn't cause any trouble no matter how thick a mash you want to ferment.
A quick flush with the water hose should take care of residue that may be left.
Ahhh...wish I had the option for such a setup..

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:27 pm

As stated, no notable difference in the shape of a fermentation vessel... I tried a conical once and still ended up racking wash out the top, down to the trub bed... There's no magic in a conical that keeps the trub from stirring into your wash if you try removing it out the bottom before removing the wash... Food for thought...

bluefish_dist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluefish_dist » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:23 am

I run conical fermenters and I found quickly that the trub plugs the bottom drain. I would expect that even with half a barrel sized system you will run into ferments that won't go through the drain. I added drains and heat elements above the trub line. My method goes like this, drain from a valve located above the trub line. Trub line varies depending on if it's a cereal wash, bourbon, rum, vodka. Then I refill with water to above the drain and pump from the drain above the trub line to the bottom drain. This mixes all the trub so it can be drained off through the bottom drain. Then wash with the bottom drain open.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051