Really hot ferment!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Really hot ferment!

Post by TedL »

So I went away for a week, before I left I made a 25 gallon sugar wash with corn and rye 10%ABV and I used EC-1118 yeast because it works good when it's cold and I find that it's a pretty clean yeast. It's winter here so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F. I have a thermometer in my fermenter that you can pull out and check the temp. So anyway when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was done fermenting but hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her. What are the consequences of fermenting a sugar wash at 100+ degrees? A shit load of heads and barely any hearts? I was going to strip it first. I have a column/flute still, would refluxing while stripping it clean it up?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
rad14701
retired

Re: Really hot ferment!

Post by rad14701 »

That sucks... You'll just have to run it and hope for the best... Make sure you collect in many small jars, just in case...
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Those yeasts were sweating like a workout.
Gives new meaning to aerobic phase.
Run it like Rad says.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

You'll probably have some off flavors. Next time, buy a temperature controller and relax in the knowledge that technology is helping manage the process ...

http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

TedL wrote:I went away for a week...so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F....when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was...hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her...Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
It sounds like you're due for an "upgrade"....in girlfriends, that is. :esurprised: It seems you don't fully have her attention any more.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

greggn wrote: Next time, buy a temperature controller and relax in the knowledge that technology is helping manage the process ...

http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Got one. plug n play. I love it. Currently plugged into my pepper seeds germination bed. :thumbup:
Blah, blah, blah,........
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

still_stirrin wrote:
TedL wrote:I went away for a week...so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F....when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was...hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her...Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
It sounds like you're due for an "upgrade"....in girlfriends, that is. :esurprised: It seems you don't fully have her attention any more.
ss
SS she is dumb as a doorknob,. Fortunately she doesn't live with me.
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

rad14701 wrote:That sucks... You'll just have to run it and hope for the best... Make sure you collect in many small jars, just in case...
I'll try collecting in small jars and hope for the best. What if it comes out to be complete shit? I guess a waste of 25+ pounds of sugar
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

greggn wrote:You'll probably have some off flavors. Next time, buy a temperature controller and relax in the knowledge that technology is helping manage the process ...

I thought about getting a temperature controller but I'm not sure what to hook it up to.
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

I use an aquarium heater to help with winter temps. Cheap and fairly reliable.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

TedL wrote: http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I thought about getting a temperature controller but I'm not sure what to hook it up to.
TedL wrote: It's winter here so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F. I have a thermometer in my fermenter that you can pull out and check the temp. So anyway when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees!
Use your existing little heater plugged into the controller and tape the sensor from the controller to the side of your fermenter with something over that to act as an insulator (old sock,tee shirt, etc.) and you're golden.

No more 120 degrees ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:
Blah, blah, blah,........
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

TedL wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:
ss
SS she is dumb as a doorknob,. Fortunately she doesn't live with me.
But is she pretty...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

We all have our assets.