Page 1 of 1

Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:38 pm
by TedL
So I went away for a week, before I left I made a 25 gallon sugar wash with corn and rye 10%ABV and I used EC-1118 yeast because it works good when it's cold and I find that it's a pretty clean yeast. It's winter here so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F. I have a thermometer in my fermenter that you can pull out and check the temp. So anyway when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was done fermenting but hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her. What are the consequences of fermenting a sugar wash at 100+ degrees? A shit load of heads and barely any hearts? I was going to strip it first. I have a column/flute still, would refluxing while stripping it clean it up?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:49 pm
by rad14701
That sucks... You'll just have to run it and hope for the best... Make sure you collect in many small jars, just in case...

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:03 pm
by Still Life
Those yeasts were sweating like a workout.
Gives new meaning to aerobic phase.
Run it like Rad says.

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:42 pm
by greggn
You'll probably have some off flavors. Next time, buy a temperature controller and relax in the knowledge that technology is helping manage the process ...

http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:56 pm
by still_stirrin
TedL wrote:I went away for a week...so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F....when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was...hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her...Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
It sounds like you're due for an "upgrade"....in girlfriends, that is. :esurprised: It seems you don't fully have her attention any more.
ss

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 pm
by FreeMountainHermit
greggn wrote: Next time, buy a temperature controller and relax in the knowledge that technology is helping manage the process ...

http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Got one. plug n play. I love it. Currently plugged into my pepper seeds germination bed. :thumbup:

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:18 pm
by TedL
still_stirrin wrote:
TedL wrote:I went away for a week...so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F....when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was...hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her...Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
It sounds like you're due for an "upgrade"....in girlfriends, that is. :esurprised: It seems you don't fully have her attention any more.
ss
SS she is dumb as a doorknob,. Fortunately she doesn't live with me.

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 pm
by TedL
rad14701 wrote:That sucks... You'll just have to run it and hope for the best... Make sure you collect in many small jars, just in case...
I'll try collecting in small jars and hope for the best. What if it comes out to be complete shit? I guess a waste of 25+ pounds of sugar

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:22 pm
by TedL
greggn wrote:You'll probably have some off flavors. Next time, buy a temperature controller and relax in the knowledge that technology is helping manage the process ...

http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I thought about getting a temperature controller but I'm not sure what to hook it up to.

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:23 pm
by squeezins
I use an aquarium heater to help with winter temps. Cheap and fairly reliable.

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:19 pm
by FreeMountainHermit
TedL wrote: http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temper ... tc308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I thought about getting a temperature controller but I'm not sure what to hook it up to.
TedL wrote: It's winter here so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F. I have a thermometer in my fermenter that you can pull out and check the temp. So anyway when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees!
Use your existing little heater plugged into the controller and tape the sensor from the controller to the side of your fermenter with something over that to act as an insulator (old sock,tee shirt, etc.) and you're golden.

No more 120 degrees ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:03 am
by jb-texshine
TedL wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:
TedL wrote:I went away for a week...so I put my little heater on my fermenter barrel and told my girlfriend to not let the temperature get over 80 degrees F....when I came home I checked the temp and it was 120 degrees! It was...hot as hell! My girlfriend said she forgot to check the temp, even when I called to remind her...Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
It sounds like you're due for an "upgrade"....in girlfriends, that is. :esurprised: It seems you don't fully have her attention any more.
ss
SS she is dumb as a doorknob,. Fortunately she doesn't live with me.
But is she pretty...

Re: Really hot ferment!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:51 am
by bilgriss
We all have our assets.