Easy Large Batch Mashing

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: Easy Large Batch Mashing

Post by bcook608 »

Halfbaked wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:22 am I saw it. I have to look at it a little closer. If that work it would be very nice. I wonder how it take heat?
if it's just for a fermentation water jacket, I imagine the temps would be ok. It's designed to sit in the sun with water in it so I imagine it has to be rated to handle at least the heat that would be applied to a fermenter.
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

bcook608 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:43 pm
Halfbaked wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:22 am I saw it. I have to look at it a little closer. If that work it would be very nice. I wonder how it take heat?
if it's just for a fermentation water jacket, I imagine the temps would be ok. It's designed to sit in the sun with water in it so I imagine it has to be rated to handle at least the heat that would be applied to a fermenter.
The method described in this thread starts with dropping boiling water over milled corn. I think this is what "take heat" refers to.
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

That's in the barrel. The barrel would then sit in something like this with an aquarium heater into to keep temps warm for fermentation.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:29 pm That's in the barrel. The barrel would then sit in something like this with an aquarium heater into to keep temps warm for fermentation.
Ah I see, sorry... and thanks
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

I have seen several HDPE with temp ratings up to 130f. Anyone have one of these barrels fail on them? Looking to get a 55 or 30 gal hdpe food grade barrel but kinda worried about the temp rating.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Hannibbl wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:43 pm I have seen several HDPE with temp ratings up to 130f. Anyone have one of these barrels fail on them? Looking to get a 55 or 30 gal hdpe food grade barrel but kinda worried about the temp rating.
Ive seen Brutes fail, but Ive not seen any reports of the blue poly drums fail. My Brute was getting close to failing after just 3 mash sessions, so I wont use it anymore.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I’ve had no trouble with my blue barrel (55gal) thru 3 seasons so far. We also see some really hot products come in these on occasion as well, to the point where cooling down will deform them if they are sealed up. They’re pretty darn tough. I’ve never seen any deformation in using one for mashing and I’m not sealing it up airtight.
psf
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by psf »

When using ga-150 enzyme from ferm solutions, they recommend you add the low temp enzyme when the yeast is pitched. No need to wait the time after the mash cools to 150. You can drop the temp to pitch yeast and the last enzyme.
You could write a book on the stuff I don’t know
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

Chucker wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:24 pm I’ve had no trouble with my blue barrel (55gal) thru 3 seasons so far. We also see some really hot products come in these on occasion as well, to the point where cooling down will deform them if they are sealed up. They’re pretty darn tough. I’ve never seen any deformation in using one for mashing and I’m not sealing it up airtight.
Thanks for the info of your personal experience. Eases my mind a little bit. Is your barrel 1/8” thick?
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

Sorry, I missed this. I’m honestly not sure what the nominal thickness is. When I’ve cut them apart for disposal previously I’d want to say that it is all of 1/8” or better in thickness. Maybe closer to 3/16”.
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

Would there be any downside on adding all of the corn in the first boiling water dump? I understand the water temp will drop more. But I would argue you would want as much extraction as possible. Only half of your corn would get the full soak time in the hot water. Barring a super long boiler heat up time, you would add another batch of boiling water to it within an hour. All of your corn would be in warm enough water at equal amount of time. If you can hold the minimum temp (~180f) the whole time, I see no downside. I get this is a proven method, but in the back of my head, it bothers me that half of the corn will be in the mash for less time.

I’m planning a 40 gal mash with 65 lbs corn, 18 lbs malted wheat, and 17 lbs malted barley. 15 gal boiler but also have several big pots I can supplement the heat with.

I might try it this way unless you guys can convince me otherwise.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 pm
48 hour mash, no more than 30 minutes of work.
do you buy your grains already milled into flour? That seems it would add a lot of time if not and it seems like you would need a very finely ground corn to get good conversion with only a hot water soak?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

squigglefunk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:49 am
do you buy your grains already milled into flour? That seems it would add a lot of time if not and it seems like you would need a very finely ground corn to get good conversion with only a hot water soak?
I dont think he's including time to mill grain. When I do this, I mill my small grains while the water is heating.
If I'm using whole corn, I mill that in the days prior to mashing. And just do a bit at a time until I've hand milled the entire weight needed.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

Cracked corn. Possibly milled, if I can get the local brewery to let me use their mill. I will absolutely be milling the malted wheat and barley.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

The HBS grinds my grains for .10/lb. My time is defintly worth more than $3 per 50 gallons.

I buy corn meal at Restaurant Depot for $15 for 50lbs. Before that, yeah I just used tractor supply cracked corn.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It's funny what each individual is willing to spend money on and when.
When you consider the per bottle cost (excluding labor of course), pinching a few pennies at the cost of more of your time really is kinda silly.
I dont mind milling corn, but I sure appreciate the convenience of a bag of corn meal!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:34 pm
The HBS grinds my grains for .10/lb. My time is defintly worth more than $3 per 50 gallons.

I buy corn meal at Restaurant Depot for $15 for 50lbs. Before that, yeah I just used tractor supply cracked corn.
i gotcha, that all makes sense. I figured at least corn meal might give you a fighting chance.

I will say I had pretty bad gelling using this method with cracked corn. It didn't really get cooked thoroughly enough for me.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:59 pm but I sure appreciate the convenience of a bag of corn meal!
indeed I wish I could find a 50lb bag for $15!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:45 am
Deplorable wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:59 pm but I sure appreciate the convenience of a bag of corn meal!
indeed I wish I could find a 50lb bag for $15!
Same here. Without a membership to restaurant depot, the best price I've found is still 2x that cost for corn meal.
Feed corn here is $15 for 50# and rising just like everything else.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:40 am Same here. Without a membership to restaurant depot, the best price I've found is still 2x that cost for corn meal.
Feed corn here is $15 for 50# and rising just like everything else.
I get the "fine" cracked corn from my feed mill, for about 13 bucks. it's close to corn meal but not quite and I couldn't get it gelled all the way by just soaking it in hot water, it still takes quite a bit of cooking.
Zoa
Novice

Post by Zoa »

Any of y'all presoak the corn with backset using this method?
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Zoa wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:55 am Any of y'all presoak the corn with backset using this method?
Might be an interesting idea. Would probably carry over an interesting flavor
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

bcook608 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Zoa wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:55 am Any of y'all presoak the corn with backset using this method?
Might be an interesting idea. Would probably carry over an interesting flavor
Why not just heat up the backset and use it as part of the mash? Just like sour mash whiskey.
Zoa
Novice

Post by Zoa »

In theory, and in practice making 5 gallon batches, a one-night presoak in hot backset helps release the starch.
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

Made my first batch using this method yesterday. I added all the corn on the first water addition (65lbs). Kept adding water until all 40 gallons of water were in. Definitely made some clumps on the first addition but they stirred out just fine once there was more water in the barrel.
Still at 130*F over 12 hrs later. My yeast starter is getting hungry, so I took the insulation off of the fermenter to get it to drop the temp a little faster.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hannibbl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:51 am Made my first batch using this method yesterday. I added all the corn on the first water addition (65lbs). Kept adding water until all 40 gallons of water were in. Definitely made some clumps on the first addition but they stirred out just fine once there was more water in the barrel.
Still at 130*F over 12 hrs later. My yeast starter is getting hungry, so I took the insulation off of the fermenter to get it to drop the temp a little faster.
This is where a cooling coil really comes in handy. Drop your temps quickly and avoid any possibility of infection.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

Is it possible that adding boiling water is denaturing the unmalted corn. Isn’t 200*F+ way hotter than it needs to be?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Hannibbl wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm Is it possible that adding boiling water is denaturing the unmalted corn. Isn’t 200*F+ way hotter than it needs to be?
The corn is just a starch source so can't be denatured. If it's unmalted there's no enzymes to be had. The idea is to do gelatinisation (I'm sure that's the wrong word) through time so you need the water to be as hot as possible. One the corn is gelled you can pull the temp down to mashing range and pitch your malts which then break down the starches that you made available.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

NormandieStill wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:57 pm
Hannibbl wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm Is it possible that adding boiling water is denaturing the unmalted corn. Isn’t 200*F+ way hotter than it needs to be?
The corn is just a starch source so can't be denatured. If it's unmalted there's no enzymes to be had. The idea is to do gelatinisation (I'm sure that's the wrong word) through time so you need the water to be as hot as possible. One the corn is gelled you can pull the temp down to mashing range and pitch your malts which then break down the starches that you made available.
Thanks for the info, good to know. I was just thinking about it while waiting for my second boiler load of water to heat up.
Trying my AG recipe again to see if I can get my SG higher than the last one. I’ll wait until 150*F to drop my malts this time.
WildonionAB
Novice

Post by WildonionAB »

So here's a question for ya'll. Why not squeeze the grain after starting the ferment? When I made wine from fruits, after the yeast is pitched, all the fruit floats to the top in a day or so. To me that seems like the perfect time to scoop and squeeze.