dont use backset from an apple rye batch!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

partonken
Bootlegger

dont use backset from an apple rye batch!

Post by partonken »

I used backset for and apple rye, sugar batch. The problem is the ferment is stuck at 1.06 on both . The ferment is so thick it wont ferment. Anyone had this problem. I would guess the pectin in the backset is doing this. darn
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: dont use backset from an apple rye batch!

Post by goose eye »

Maybe i aint understandin but why ain't you strainin? By the time it's worked off most all the flaver a scent is out of the apple. Rye just for flaver.
How much did you use.

So I'm tole
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not understand what you are talking about.
A backset from or a backset for an apple rye batch?
And apple and rye together?
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

i ran an apple and rye batch with about 10 apples cut up and 1 pound of rye and raised the BG to 1.08 or bit higher with EC-1118 yeast. When i ran it i saved the backset for my next run and used maybe 25% backset and ran the same 10 apples and 1 pound ofrye . This is were the problem started. The mash turned real thick like jelly and the yeast stopped working. I thought it was contamination at first but i tried the same procedure again and the same results occured. My guess is the pectin in the apples is causing this jellitization of my mash water? Im going to try it again without using backset from any mash ive ran with apples in it and see if it happens again. Ive got 3 pails thick sitting that are thick as jelly and probably going to throw out!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Or because of the low pH the conversion didn't work and now it has a thick texture? Did you use any pH buffers or risers? When you use 25% you need them. Do you have measured the pH?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

I didnt use any ph buffers because ive never had a problem with any batch until i started using apples in my fermenting pail and the subsequent backset from that run.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

OK, now I understand better.
It makes me thing of a problem in making stew: when you cook together cabbage together with potatoes, there is no problem. But when you cook acid fermented cabbage (zuurkool, Sauerkraut) together with potatoes, the potatoes stay or become very hard and almost impossible to mash. I am told that this is caused by a reaction of the pectine in the potatoes under influence of the acid in the fermented cabbage.

In the series Moonshiners I saw a trick to avoid this problem. Digger and his mate made two ferments: one with fruit and one with grain and then distilled both at the same time via one thumper and to the condenser.

But maybe Der wo's advices are easier to follow.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If it feels slimy, or is ropey, it could have a bacterial infection.