Tails flavor/aromas drastically vary with yeast strain

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tails flavor/aromas drastically vary with yeast strain

Postby butterpants » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Made a 70 corn/20 wheat/10 2-row wash utilizing a 2 step enzyme mash. Usually yields 1.065 original gravity. In the past I've fermented this with US-05 at around 68F for a week and cold crashed it, then strip then sprit run it. Very nice product. Well this time, we had some extra yeast leftover at the brewery (Wyeast 1028 London ale) so I figured it was free, why not give it a shot. I fermented it warm....like crazy warm, got up to 90 and it turned out estery as all hell. Lots of banana, and apple although it did kick off some sulfur while fermenting. Fairly pleasant smelling in a fermented wash considering how much I was pushing this strain outside of its standard operating temp.

Then I stripped it out today.

The tails smell god awful. Like a horrid vegetative dankness. The sweet hooch is there in the background but completely overpowered. :?: Couldn't bring myself to taste them. My other washes with US-05 smell crappy as a wash but the tails while stripping aren't half bad....not disgusting, they're just not pleasant. What happened here? Upon spirit run should I expect the vegetative properties to go away and corn to shine through like normally? Should I just be prepared that with every new yeast, I'll have a dramatically different set of distilling odors?
butterpants
Bootlegger

Re: Tails flavor/aromas drastically vary with yeast strain

Postby raketemensch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Every Yeast has its own comfort zone, especially when it comes to the flavors it produces. 90 isn’t crazy high for some, but it looks like 1028 wants to be at 60-72. That might ‘splain a lot.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby butterpants » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 pm

raketemensch wrote:Every Yeast has its own comfort zone, especially when it comes to the flavors it produces. 90 isn’t crazy high for some, but it looks like 1028 wants to be at 60-72. That might ‘splain a lot.
It's just odd that I didn't detect it in the wash... only stripped run.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
butterpants
Bootlegger

Postby zapata » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 pm

I would think you're tasting more stress than jjst yeast variation. But I think you really have to do a spirit run and give it some time to see what comes of it. As a general guess, I'd expect a smaller hearts cut, and funkie feints on both ends. But you may well have something good in there, only 1 way to tell. FWIW, I've always had decent results even when I mistreat yeast, though I havent used that 1 I'd guess it isnt ruined.
zapata
Rumrunner

Postby butterpants » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 pm

zapata wrote:I would think you're tasting more stress than jjst yeast variation. But I think you really have to do a spirit run and give it some time to see what comes of it. As a general guess, I'd expect a smaller hearts cut, and funkie feints on both ends. But you may well have something good in there, only 1 way to tell. FWIW, I've always had decent results even when I mistreat yeast, though I havent used that 1 I'd guess it isnt ruined.
Both ends? I hope not! :)

Even stripping fast n hard there was little presence of the stench from hell initially... it started to build when everything was smearing and got truly horrible in the heavy tails @40%

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
butterpants
Bootlegger

Postby iDrinkWash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:09 am

Fermenting with that yeast, that warm, will produce a LOT of fusel alcohols. They smell and taste very hot / solvent-like, and will give you a wicked hangover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iDrinkWash
Novice

Postby bilgriss » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 am

Yep. I like to use US-05 or another ale yeast this time of year, when it's cooler. If I'm fermenting at high temps like 90, bakers will be a better bet.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby butterpants » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm

I just did a spirit run on this abomination. Low and slow all that nasty vegetal, burned rubber fusel smel was gone. It was just the worst stinky tails I've ever seen because I abused the yeast. I stopped collecting around 70% just because I didn't want to smell it again. Hearts right off the still were delicious and perfect. 11.5 gallons of low wines got me 40x 300ml jars after 600ml of fores and 1500ml early heads were removed. So about 3 gallons to make my final cuts on...all with no stink. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the advice.

-BP
butterpants
Bootlegger

Postby zapata » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Sweet outcome, congrats.
zapata
Rumrunner

Return to Mashing and Fermenting