Diastatic / Yield Question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Diastatic / Yield Question

Post by fizzix »

Wrapping my mind around diastatic power. [Reference: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=54756]

Hypothetical:
Let's say my grain bill is 5lbs corn + 5lbs (diastatic power= 190) malt
(5lb malt) / (10lb total)= 1/2 .... then..... (1/2) x (DP190)= 95° .... well above the minimum 30° conversion requirement.

but let's say I replace the 5lbs of corn with 5lbs of ball bearings, my diastatic figure is still 95°but my yield is going to be radically different!

So my question is: Is there a gelatinization factor that can be applied so I can calculate that fermenting ball bearings is a bad idea?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Diastatic / Yield Question

Post by Swedish Pride »

get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Don't be a dick
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I see that'll be next on my learning then.
The question stemmed from "what is too little (starch) grain to be mixed with a malt?"
And then the DP factor proved to be absolutely no help in answering that question.

So Brix. Heard of it. Now have to learn it. THANK YOU!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Diastatic power isn’t the only calculation to consider. You also need to look at the points per pound per gallon (PPG) calculation as well.

Malted barley (6 row) has 30 to 35 PPG and corn has 33 to 39 PPG. Ball bearings have NO PPG. So, while you can add them to your mash, they won’t contribute any fermentation potential.

And, you need to double check your values for degrees Lintner. I think the value you quoted is extremely optimistic.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thank you still_stirrin. I'm glad I asked. I was at the end of the road with no exit on this one.
Will look at PPG as well as Brix. Thanks!!
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

fizzix wrote: "what is too little (starch) grain to be mixed with a malt?"
not sure i understand this question mate, there's no such thing as too little? you can have an all malt mash and all the fermentable sugars will come from the starches in that malt.
gelatinisation of the straches is done by heat, then conversion of starches to sugars by the enzymes in the malt.
barley and wheat can usually be gelatinised in the mash at normal mash temperatures, whereas corn usually needs to be cooked at higher temps so if you just add it to the mash you'll come up short.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Ball bearings not listed but much other good info:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=50131
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

durty_dunderpants wrote:
fizzix wrote: "what is too little (starch) grain to be mixed with a malt?"
not sure i understand this question mate, there's no such thing as too little? you can have an all malt mash and all the fermentable sugars will come from the starches in that malt.
gelatinisation of the straches is done by heat, then conversion of starches to sugars by the enzymes in the malt.
barley and wheat can usually be gelatinised in the mash at normal mash temperatures, whereas corn usually needs to be cooked at higher temps so if you just add it to the mash you'll come up short.
Yeah I was made hip to that last week when I questioned how an all malt (see: Jimbo's Single Malt) possibly worked.
I see the question we're discussing now was indeed faulty on my part. I was trying to shoehorn diastatic into a PPG argument. No go.

UPDATE: Here's a nice PPG malt chart for those as curious as me: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/wha ... alt-yields
....PPG examples on subsequent pages on same link.

MORE: This HD thread is helpful: http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 83&t=68439
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Swedish Pride wrote:get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Hahaha think I just found my signature lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Antler24 wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Hahaha think I just found my signature lol
That's funny! I like funny.
Swede said in a PM that he was just being a friendly smart-ass. He had no idea that he inadvertently helped me out! (I had no idea what brix was.)