Presoaking question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Presoaking question

Post by Texas Jim »

I see that some people presoak corn in back set or hot water, but I was wondering if presoaking in cold water will help the mashing process at all? I'm going out of town Saturday morning, and was going to start mashing on Sunday evening. So, I thought I'd just let the corn sit in water overnight.

Also, is there any chance of an infection developing in 36 hours?

Thanks.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Presoaking question

Post by Twisted Brick »

There's a million ways to do it, depending on what you're looking to make. Here's a couple of approaches:

viewtopic.php?t=5533

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65904

Keep in mind that adding too much backset can take your mash out of ideal range for some enzymes.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Make sure you read der wo's responses in Twisted Brick's 2nd link. Very enlightening.

Without enzymes (and short of an infection) I'm sold on grinding the dry corn into meal to expose surface area for mashing day. No pre-soak. Let the meal cooking do its job.
With ShineonCrazyDiamond's method you essentially pour rolling boiling water on the corn (meal) to get the job done.
Pre-soaking just seems to add a step.

You can only weigh this out for yourself. I don't think there is an objective answer.

(Thanks Twisted Brick for the links. Good reading!)
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

fizzix wrote: I'm sold on grinding the dry corn into meal to expose surface area for mashing day. No pre-soak.
+1

I buy my corn already ground (cuz my mill only does barley :( ) and routinely converts 1.060-065. No pre-soak, or extended cooking (90min @ 190F and another 90min with HTL enzyme.

(My pleasure fizzix!)
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer