Rum idea add - pomegranate molasses??

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Rum idea add - pomegranate molasses??

Post by distiller_dresden »

I saw this stuff on Amazon, I've been researching it. The good shit is sugar cane, pomegranate juice concentrate, and citric acid, maybe water to reduce to a syrup from a paste.

I was wondering... Anybody ever used this in a rum wash? Or maybe a vodka wash, since it's just sugar, would be more ideal. Still I wonder if the richness of pomegranate would come through proper in a rum and meld with the brown sugary/caramel flavors and impart a kind of alien berry rum flavor?

Has anybody worked with pomegranate molasses as an additive to a mash or as a primary ingredient (which would be expensive)? It's looking to be on average about $1 an ounce for decent stuff. There's another kind that's unsweetened, I guess you could use as flavoring to a mash already loaded with sugar?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum idea add - pomegranate molasses??

Post by hpby98 »

I took a bottle of POM, added sugar and boiled it a bit to make the molasses

Then cut it with vodka-proof to make a pomegranate schnapps

It was ok, nothing spectacular.

I'm thinking grenadine has a bunch of added things to make it so sparkly
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sounds good but very expensive imo, I would think the fruit would loose much if not all flavors in the fermentation, I could be wrong but 1 buck an Oz I'm not going to find out myself lol.

You could make a rum and dilute with juice instead of water... Hmmm damn it now I want to try this.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

I really want to use some of this stuff with rum somehow... Maybe after I brew my in the masher rum I'll use your idea of dilute with the pom molasses instead of water, or instead of flavoring with molasses to make a darker rum I'll use the pomegranate molasses to make a kind of eastern dark rum, and add some of my panela sugar too for that rummy profile. Hot damn, thanks for the inspiration ShineOn!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."