First 12 Gallons - Birdwatchers

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

j3hx
Bootlegger

First 12 Gallons - Birdwatchers

Post by j3hx »

Hey Guys,

First time fermenting over a gallon(made some wines in the past that were meh).. I am curious if this seems about right.. So i think i fudged my Starting Grav reading.. I must have been more toward the 1.07+ range, next time ill pay better attention and be more sure on my starting reading..

I ran the calcs and it also put me in the upper end of 1.07 (1.077). I got everything set on Sunday evening so im just 3 days in and right at 1.06. The weather changed sunday and my wife keeps the therm set at 64 or completely off at night so i ran to walmart yesterday and put in a aquarium heater that should keep me at a consistent temp of 79 degrees.

Its a 12 gallon total wash, yeast seem to be working away. Hoping the heater will help.. When its warmer we leave windows open, but it got cold and that didnt help anything. I also added epsom salt Monday and stirred. Havent stirred it since.

Here is what she looks like:
PhotoPictureResizer_180418_124155975-1200x1600.jpg
I used the BW Calc for the ingredients, added the lemon at start and as mentioned epsom the next day.

Im trying to be patient as this will be my first real run outside of the cleaning and sac runs. Work yeast work!

Lesson learned. Hopefully I am not too terribly off target.
If so ill start reading up on what i need to do next.

Also, Using Redstar DADY yeast.

Thanks!
Last edited by j3hx on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First 12 Gallons - Birdwatchers

Post by seamusm53 »

Read somewhere that plants grow better to music....yeast are plants. So sing to 'em..... Maybe not - play the radio instead.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

seamusm53 wrote:Read somewhere that plants grow better to music....yeast are plants. So sing to 'em..... Maybe not - play the radio instead.
:thumbup:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Nice starting gravity.
The kind of yeast determines what temperature you should be set at. Bakers likes it warm around ~85°F.
Whereas some beer yeasts like Safale US-05 likes it cool at ~60°F.

So determine where your yeast's happy temp is, and you'll be fine.

I sing and get tomatoes thrown at me.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

fizzix wrote:Nice starting gravity.
The kind of yeast determines what temperature you should be set at. Bakers likes it warm around ~85°F.
Whereas some beer yeasts like Safale US-05 likes it cool at ~60°F.

So determine where your yeast's happy temp is, and you'll be fine.

I sing and get tomatoes thrown at me.
Thanks Fizzix! I tend to fret about things im trying to do right. DADY as far as the yeast goes.. soo less than 90F.. well at least thats been in check lol. Thanks Again!
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Cap is a lot thinner today.. Checked and its sweet still, at 1.050.. 1.077 to 1.050 in 5 days.. Is that somewhat slow? I may need to check pH? Temp feels fine. Perhaps i am being impatient. Its still fizzing..
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Sounds like its still fermenting (and if you can hear it or see bubbles its still going strong). Be patient and give it as long as you can stand it. I've let mine go for weeks - and my back room smelled heavenly.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

seamusm53 wrote:Sounds like its still fermenting (and if you can hear it or see bubbles its still going strong). Be patient and give it as long as you can stand it. I've let mine go for weeks - and my back room smelled heavenly.
Thanks Seamusm, I will let it work on out.. hopefully mid next week itll be ready. I may start another ferment tomorrow too. I got my still built, cleaned, and have nothing to run lol. Anxious to say the least.