Quick Question on Spent Sugarhead Grain

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

panikry83
Swill Maker

Quick Question on Spent Sugarhead Grain

Post by panikry83 »

I've done the use spent grain from all grain mash to make a sugar head but, can it be done the other way around?

Can you take spent corn from say, a UJ, and then put enzymes onto it and mash from there?
morethenaname
Novice

Re: Quick Question on Spent Sugarhead Grain

Post by morethenaname »

Good question. I only do a corn mash and here lately i have been using same corn.not adding any not taken out any just adding more sugar and a ltl more yeast. Fixin to do the 4th run on it b4 restarting over. The only diff i notice is it smells a ltl sour and end product has a more nutty flavor some how. But i am going back to simgle running the corn
The gf is nagging about the sour smell as well as the birds miss the left overs lol. And she is right the birds love when i put my spent corn out on the porch. They get about 7lbs of cracked corn every run. It adds up fast.fixin to make a large strainer gig so i can drain old corn dry because it always smells of strong alki and the birds wait 3 or 4 days so if i strain it i can put it in as low wines and the birds get them a snack. Win win win birds are feed more for pot and gf is off my back lol
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Sour is good :)
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Probably, but 50# of crimped corn is $5.99 with farmers exemption, I'd just get some chickens.

I mean they mash almost anything that has starches, I reckon some spent grains from UJ would have remaining starches, go for it.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I would expect that it would be possible, but you have already extracted some of the flavour and now have a partially denatured corn mix, with yeast and an acid backset involved in the mixture. So the question which returns to my mind is Why ?

If you have the ability / kit to do both, why not do the AG first and to the best quality you can, then sugar head the residue ?

Would you discard the backset and the flavours within it, or would it form a part of your AG protocol ?

In fact, the same question would apply to doing a sugar head after an AG - do you incorporate the backset ?