UJSSM yeast preservation

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nsgibson
Novice

UJSSM yeast preservation

Post by nsgibson »

I am just getting started with my first UJSSM batch. I have read tons before getting started but haven't found an answer to a lingering question. I want to be able to pause between runs but also want to get to 4th/5th gen USSM ... 5 kids, lots of travel, etc. My understanding is that the souring process relies both on using some backset in the next batch, and reusing the yeast in the previous mash. There is lots of info on preserving the backset, but if I have a few weeks between generations, what do I do with the to-be-reused corn and yeast in the meantime? Can the yeast be kept alive? Thanks!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UJSSM yeast preservation

Post by fizzix »

Here's what I've done with used yeast, and it stayed viable for 3 weeks. It may have gone longer but that's when I decided to use it.

Sanitize everything that will come into contact with your yeast gathering and storage. I use StarSan sanitizer. It's no-rinse, and friendly to yeast and consumption.

Sanitize a large beaker or jar or soda bottle and a piece of tin foil large enough to cover the opening. With a sanitized ladle, gather enough yeast to fill your large container 1/2 the way. If you have to use a funnel, sanitize it too. Cover with the sanitized tin foil (no air-tight lid!), crumpling it into place around the neck, and put it all in the fridge.

Warm it to room temperature just before reuse. Keep an eye on it as sometimes it will expand in the warmth.

For the corn, I would keep it with a tight lid to keep the environment and critters out. Keep in a cool place.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I would just make up your next wash.

Once its done put in the basement were cool sealed with an airlock so nothing gets in.

I have left UJSSM for 5-6 weeks between runs and the yeast still kicked off in a day or so after making my wash
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

bitter wrote:I would just make up your next wash.

Once its done put in the basement were cool sealed with an airlock so nothing gets in.

I have left UJSSM for 5-6 weeks between runs and the yeast still kicked off in a day or so after making my wash
I second this. I often go months between batches. In a brute trashcan with loose fitting lid, and never had a problem with the yeast. I've taken it up to 12 generations like that.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
nsgibson
Novice

Post by nsgibson »

Oh I see! That's what I'll do. Thanks for the advice!
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Sorry for reviving a dead post, but I am into my 6th generation of UJSSM and due to unforseen circumstances (A family member with an inability to keep her mouth shut around current and retired law enforcement) I am shutting my operation down for the time being and don't know when or if I'll be able to get it back up and running again before I get everything together for my nano distillery. I'm getting everything together to attempt to go legit even if it is on a small scale. As long as I can afford to keep the lights on and pay my family bills, I'll be happy. I'm not looking to turn into the next JD or anything like that.

My question is, is it worth it to try to save a liter of the yeast that's just now started producing the flavors I want or should I just run small batches of UJSSM to get my generations back up and then scale up at the 5th/6th when the real flavor starts to develop?

If so, what's the best method for long term storage? Vacuum seal it and freeze? Or would refrigeration be sufficient?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Yeast is easy to repitch. You can save and freeze backset to get the next batch going in 6 months or a year or longer. It will get you back to were you were pretty fast. UJSSM is a pretty nice sugar head...

B
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

It's essentially a sourdough starter. Google up on how to make sourdough. You can keep the starter in your fridge innocuously, little maintenance and have yeast available on demand in perpetuity. Also makes good pancakes and bread occasionally.
:)
GrumpyOldITGuy
Novice

Post by GrumpyOldITGuy »

In “The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing” by Charlie Papazian there’s a section on propagating yeast in the advanced chapter. It’s centered around beer brewing but it may be of help.
Last edited by GrumpyOldITGuy on Sat May 21, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagles may soar... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Was Charlie trying to sell a book?.....most here are not.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Most everything in the book pertaining to this can be found by a google search of "yeast washing", and "yeast starter", you can also look up "yeast slanting" if you want to get extra sciency. It's all out there.

Book is worth reading though. Charlie is a fairly significant character in the American craft beer resurgence.
:)