Tractor Supply Cracked Corn

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tractor Supply Cracked Corn

Post by Boda Getta »

I have been using TS Cracked Corn for several years in my standard 70/16/14 wheated bourbon grain bill and had good luck with it. The pieces in their cracked corn is pretty small and fairly uniform but I run it thru a MM2. It ends up a mixture of corn meal and corn flour I understand the smaller the corn the better the conversion, but the problem is it is a bitch to separate the fermented wash and grain. My question is how much would I be giving up to use the cracked corn right out of the bag and add enzymes in addition to the malted barley (I want to continue the malt for the taste).
Any suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.

BG
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tractor Supply Cracked Corn

Post by fizzix »

Sorry I can't answer the question directly.
But before you give up on the meal flour, I recommend a wringer mop bucket and paint strainer bag.
wringerBucket.jpg
I use pulverized corn meal (from a blender) all the time. The bucket is quick and efficient,
and the spent grain is moist, not drenched when it's thrown out.

Just a recommendation.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Just ordered a similar setup from Walmart and waiting for my next ferment.
While on the subject, I have been thinking for the last several years about getting an old washing machine, lining the basket with screen wire and using the spin cycle and use centrifugal force to separate the liquid. One problem is I don't have the room (I don't think the wife would let me use hers....)

BG
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

When I use corn meal for my recipe, I get 1.065. When I use cracked corn same recipe, 1.055.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

I have to agree with SCD. my buddy and I just tried a batch of corn liquor mash using cracked corn from the feed store. looks like this below. used enzymes and it turned out almost identical to SG of flaked maize shown in the second photo. not quite but close... and it required cooking of course. compared to meal I'll bet it's negligible.

$11 per 50# bag too[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... b3bb4f.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 3af6fb.jpg[/img]
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:When I use corn meal for my recipe, I get 1.065. When I use cracked corn same recipe, 1.055.
10-point drop! WOW!
I learned to use corn meal thru your Honey Bear post, SoCD, and I'm glad I did.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My results mirror all the others . Finer the grind , the better the conversion . Mop bucket and paint strainer bag works well for me , too .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I've been experimenting with a 600 mesh bucket screen and a shaker post ferment. It takes time, but I no effort. I don't cook out my enzymes so conversion continues during the ferment.
Pierrot Lunaire 55
Novice

Post by Pierrot Lunaire 55 »

I am also a mop press user, but a couple years back I had the same notion about using a washing machine (still do from time to time...) but I went so far as to buy a 5 gallon salad spinner. Yes, they do exist: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... ER5GL.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Naturally the insert needs a finer mesh screen which I never quite got around to fabricating. The thing spins like crazy though. Maybe I'll get it out again and try lining it with fiberglass window screen.
Der Dichter, berauscht sich an dem heilgen Tranke
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Pretty sure I've seen guys using modified swimsuit spin dryers. Like this:
http://a.co/ezTzBHT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I know I've said it a lot, but just find a way to run on the grain. Cleaner, faster, easier, more versatile, arguably better flavor.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

I too use Tractor Supply cracked corn. Here is what I am doing right now. Time will tell how this will all work out this year - I was gone all last year, and drank up all my existing supply, so I am just getting cranked up again.

I don't grind the corn, maybe I will start doing that, but I use Booner's Casual All Corn method - modified a bit. I use a lower grain to water ratio, 1.7 lbs per gallon, so I start out with 10 lbs of corn in six gallons of water (OK, so it is 1.667, close enough) because when I used a higher grain to water ratio, it seemed just too thick. I boil the water, cut the heat, and stir in the cracked corn. This settles in at about 195 F or so. It takes about an hour to cool to 178 F, when I add the high temp enzyme, I am using Opti Mash, but am definitely thinking about trying other enzymes. The enzyme does visibly thin the starch in the liquid. Then I cool it to 145 F or so, when I add 3 lb, crushed two row malted barley and a tsp of Opti Ferm enzyme. I know the malt will accomplish the conversion, but I add the enzyme as sort of insurance. Then I transfer to a Rubbermaid Gott cooler, the round orange jobbie, fitted with a plastic false bottom I have had for years from my home brewing days. I let it rest for a couple of hours, and on testing with iodine conversion has never failed. Then I add another gallon of 145 F water on top to further thin it out, and run it off. I collect just south of 5 gallons, so the corn is retaining about 2 gallons. of water, which seems high to me. I doubt that I will bother trying to squeeze that out! The SG is always about 1.050.

So here is the first heresy - I dissolve about 3.5 lb of sugar in half a gallon of water, and add it to what I have collected. I now have just north of 5 gallons to the fermenter at SG 1.080. I ferment this with EC 1118 yeast, and it always goes calmly down to .990, so I have a 10.6% wash to the still. Yes, whiskey is made from grains, but sugar is not a dirty word!

I go down to about 30% with the stripping runs, and get just over a gallon at 55%. I will be combining these and diluting to 40% for the whiskey run, which will be in about two weeks when batch #3 is stripped. Then, heresy #2, I am a firm believe in "nuclear" aging, microwaving with Jack Daniels BBQ chips. This will get to sit from November through April 2019 in bottles, because I will be gone again, and I want at least a few months of bottle aging!

FWIW, I am using a Mile Hi stainless pot still with an 8 gallon milk can fired by a propane stove. Here is a pic of my setup.

BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

jon1163 wrote:I have to agree with SCD. my buddy and I just tried a batch of corn liquor mash using cracked corn from the feed store. looks like this below. used enzymes and it turned out almost identical to SG of flaked maize shown in the second photo. not quite but close... and it required cooking of course. compared to meal I'll bet it's negligible.

$11 per 50# bag too
Your images are not displaying because they exceed the HBD size limit, which is 800x800. Your first image is 756x1008. You need to resize your images before uploading! Here is your cracked corn resized to 600x800!
Attachments
Cracked corn.jpg
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

Just curious..is there a certain type/brand of bag corn that you guys would recommend? Are the deer feed bags of corn safe to use?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

fizzix wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:14 pm Sorry I can't answer the question directly.
But before you give up on the meal flour, I recommend a wringer mop bucket and paint strainer bag.

wringerBucket.jpg
I use pulverized corn meal (from a blender) all the time. The bucket is quick and efficient,
and the spent grain is moist, not drenched when it's thrown out.

Just a recommendation.
Fizzix I'm finally there with the mop bucket man I'm kicking myself all the gumball ive thrown out! Well at least my huskys got to stalk and hunt the squirrels eating that trub grain.I'm getting a few 55 gallon blue sealable drums too
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Glad it's working out, Durhommer.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

boda getta wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:54 pm I have been thinking for the last several years about getting an old washing machine, lining the basket with screen wire and using the spin cycle and use centrifugal force to separate the liquid. One problem is I don't have the room (I don't think the wife would let me use hers....)
As one who's tempted fate with the Panda cloths spin dryer and lived to tell about it, I would advise against it. See info here on that topic: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=72654

If that doesn't deter you and you live near SE MIchigan, you're welcome to have mine. It works fine... for damp clothes... but not for wet mash.

DetroitDIY
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

ps. I've gone to the mop bucket and mesh bag and been happy (and safe). :)
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Don't know what you pay for crack corn but I buy twenty five pounds of cornmeal for eight dollars from a bakery supply company and it's food grade and already milled.