Super Easy all corn mashing

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

badflash
Swill Maker

Super Easy all corn mashing

Post by badflash »

Had I known it would be this simple, I would have done this years ago. No boil, very little stirring, almost automatic.

I have 4 gallon turkey roaster. I put 12.5 pounds of ground corn in it, and add 2.5 gallons of water, 1 tsp of gypsum, 1/2 tsp of DAP, and 1 tbs of citric acid. I also add 4 cc of SEBstar HTL and 4 cc of AG300L. I stir it all in and set the roaster for 300F. The AG300L works at much lower temperatures, but is slower to work. It kicks in when the corn starts to gel and then denatures as the temp goes up. It gets rid of all the gelling as the wort heats up.

About once an hour I give it a stir and check the temperature. Once it gets to 190 I give it a good stir and turn off the heat. An hour later I add enough cold water to drop the temp to 155F add 4 cc of SEBamyl GL and stir it in and let it cool on its own overnight.

I run it all through a 5 gallon bucket 600 mesh sieve, rinse out the spend grain with another gallon of water, and fill up a 6 gallon fermenter. Been using EC1118 and it rips through in about 3-4 days from 1.080 to below 0. Pretty cool. No sticking, no scorching, very little baby sitting.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Super Easy all corn mashing

Post by Pikey »

badflash wrote:Had I known it would be this simple, I would have done this years ago. No boil, very little stirring, almost automatic.

I have 4 gallon turkey roaster. I put 12.5 pounds of ground corn in it, and add 2.5 gallons of water, 1 tsp of gypsum, 1/2 tsp of DAP, and 1 tbs of citric acid. I also add 4 cc of SEBstar HTL and 4 cc of AG300L. I stir it all in and set the roaster for 300F. The AG300L works at much lower temperatures, but is slower to work. It kicks in when the corn starts to gel and then denatures as the temp goes up. It gets rid of all the gelling as the wort heats up.

About once an hour I give it a stir and check the temperature. Once it gets to 190 I give it a good stir and turn off the heat. An hour later I add enough cold water to drop the temp to 155F add 4 cc of SEBamyl GL and stir it in and let it cool on its own overnight.

I run it all through a 5 gallon bucket 600 mesh sieve, rinse out the spend grain with another gallon of water, and fill up a 6 gallon fermenter. Been using EC1118 and it rips through in about 3-4 days from 1.080 to below 0. Pretty cool. No sticking, no scorching, very little baby sitting.
Thanks BF - I think I could manage something like that.

Perhaps part of the secret is in that sieve - What exactly is a "600 mesh sieve" :?
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... &catid=685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They are really rugged. I've had one for about 10 years. Get the 600, the finer ones just plug up.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

So that's a 0.0235 hole size - effectively 25 "Thou" or the same size as the standard "Spark plug gap"

Ok thanks for that - but it still sunds pretty small to me ! 8)
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

It catches almost all the grain, and if you stir it for a minute or 2 you get all the liquid out of it. If you want bigger, make one out of screen material. The bigger the mesh, the more crap goes into your still.