Anyone use a V Vessel?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CanadianWhiskey
Novice

Anyone use a V Vessel?

Post by CanadianWhiskey »

I' have been thinking of investing in some v vessel's! I can definatly see the pros in useing them but i have one concern.

Since it is made of plastic, theoretically, it will have a fine texture and the yeast and nutrients can hang on the the sides and not exactly make it down to the collection bulb!

Does anyone have one? Any comments would be appreciated!
Less Chattin More Drinkin
wineo
Distiller

Re: Anyone use a V Vessel?

Post by wineo »

I know some winemakers that have them,but my concern is that over time,that plastic will get scratched up inside,and it could harbor bacteria.If you make beer,or wine ,this is a concern.They cost alot also.Replacing fermenting buckets would be way cheaper in the long run.I would like to have one of those made of stainless though.
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

ya thats what i was thinking too. Isnt Pinto really good at sheet metal work?

I say we summon him to this forum, and give him a new hobby to tinker with
muckanic
Swill Maker

Post by muckanic »

I suspect that the main thing scratched plastic harbours is yeast spores, not bacteria. This might seem like a slightly academic point, as a contaminant is a contaminant, but some are easier to eliminate than others. I ferment in some really old plastic, and the only unwanted infection that has ever got me was a Brettanomyces (yeast) bug that came from culturing a bottle of Belgian Guinness. I was bottling in PET at the time, and any brew that went into those rather than glass eventually developed that lambic, goatey note, despite some extensive soaks in bleach. It did, however, take 6 months to come through, which is possibly not so relevant to stilling. The main thing to be feared would be some rampant bacteria that has the ability to survive dehydrated conditions, and which can get in and do its work before the yeast has time to take hold. Those sort of bugs are actually quite rare.
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

Homebrewing.org has conical vessels in stainless up to 42 US gal. Great bunch of guys to order from. I buy most of my supplies from them and shipping is fast.
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

thanks for the post Grizz !