Need some Advice

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VictoryRay
Novice

Need some Advice

Post by VictoryRay »

Grains are new to me, so having all the necessary tools I think is key. How do you guys efficiently separate your grains after mashing? Seems as though my false bottom still gets clogged up and I end up scooping out grain into a mesh bag and squeezing the liquid out. there has got to be a better way!!!

Advice?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Need some Advice

Post by Twisted Brick »

VictoryRay wrote: Seems as though my false bottom still gets clogged up and I end up scooping out grain into a mesh bag and squeezing the liquid out... Advice?
Join the rest of us. Any smaller-ground grain (especially corn) results in better extraction in the mash, but unfortunately, sludge at the bottom of the fermenter.

The mop-wringer approach to squeezing is fairly popular. I squeeze by hand because its worth it.

There's a bunch of DIY 'separators' on HD, some rather ingenious. If you come up with an effective solution, by all means share it.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

I'm sure lots of people on here are doing this but I've not been able to find it so I'd like to share my method.
My smaller barrels fit just perfect into the opening of the larger one so I drilled a load of 3mm holes in the bottom and used a net curtain as a filter. I just leave for 24 hours and it's all drained. I've added some pictures a 1000 words and all excuse the pink it was all they had.
IMG_20180616_143032.jpeg
IMG_20180616_143025.jpeg
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I use an apple press to press the grains after finished fermenting, which allows me to do other things while the pressing is going on..

Mars
Attachments
Picture 0112.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I'm a wringer mop bucket guy.
wringer2.jpg
VictoryRay
Novice

Post by VictoryRay »

thanks fellas. I do like the mop wringer idea. and I have thought about a wine press. like I said, I am new to grains and scooping small amounts at a time into a bag and hand squeezing it didn't sound too efficient.

I really do appreciate the help
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Ray,
I’m also trying to plan a move into AG. Several people said they scoop the sludge into fine mesh bags and then run the bags through the mop wringer. Until I learn more, that is the method I plan to try.
Good luck!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

VictoryRay wrote:thanks fellas. I do like the mop wringer idea. and I have thought about a wine press. like I said, I am new to grains and scooping small amounts at a time into a bag and hand squeezing it didn't sound too efficient.

I really do appreciate the help
It works but a pain in the neck, or at least arms.
I did it by hand for agood while because i'm cheap but bit the bullet and got a wringer, it's now a 10-15 min job rather than an hour
Don't be a dick
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Hey Svenska, do ya sparge the grain in yer 15 minute job?
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

nah, I call it a day once done.
I know i could prob get more out if i wet it and go again, but can't be fucked in fairness
Don't be a dick