A few questions from a newbie related to fermentation

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dzyner
Novice

A few questions from a newbie related to fermentation

Post by dzyner »

Hi all.

I searched the forum and cannot find answers (not exactly anyway) to these specific questions that I've been struggling with the past (and first) few times I've fermented.

I use a Fast Fermenter (upside down teardrop) and am currently fermenting my 3rd batch (5 gallons) using FermFast's Whisky Yeast (not the Turbo Yeast, or the 48 Yeast, just their standard Whisky Yeast). Its been in the fermenter for about 4 days now and has completely stopped "percolating", no more air is being released through the airlock. For the first 2 days the airlock was active (a bubble about every few seconds), but today nothing. The ambient temperature where the fermenter is located is between 68 and 71 degrees.

My questions are:
  1. How long should I leave the beer in the fermenter, even though I see no more air being released?
  2. Should I see air being released through the airlock if the fermentation is still active, or is this a sign the yeast is done?
  3. Has anyone use the yeast I noted in my intro above, and if so what has been your experience compared with mine noted above?
  4. Is there a sure fire method for knowing if fermentation is complete, OR if the yeast has gone dormant or died?
Thanks!
Dzyner
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: A few questions from a newbie related to fermentation

Post by acfixer69 »

Best way to test is taste it if it's sweet it's not done. If it tastes dry it's done. I've not tried that yeast so can't say about your temps but they sound kind of cool for a whiskey yeast. Air locks are not a good indication of finish due to possibility of leaks in lid seal. I am assuming you don't have a hydrometer to measure gravity? You need to get one.
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

I would echo what AC fixer said. A hydrometer is a must. Without knowing your starting gravity, it’s hard to tell if that’s a fast fermentation. At those temps, I’d taste the beer for sure to see if it’s done. Also, without knowing your mash or wash recipe it’s impossible to comment. If you just added yeast to a pure sugar and water solution without any kind of nutrient it would perform as you described. What was your recipe?
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
dzyner
Novice

Post by dzyner »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do have a hydrometer. My assumption was that even though it may show... say... 5% ABV that would not mean the fermentation is done. Is that correct?

Is it safe to leave the beer in the fermenter for another week or so just to be sure it’s done or do I risk spoilage?

Regarding the recipe it’s 52% Rye, 31% Corn, 17% Malted Barley.

At what temps should such a beer ferment?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

dzyner wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

I do have a hydrometer. My assumption was that even though it may show... say... 5% ABV that would not mean the fermentation is done. Is that correct?
It won't measure 5% ! - sounds like you have an alcoholometer - not a "Hydrometer" !

You need BOTH ! - Hydrometer measures SG of Wash - run when you get to 1.000 or below (except molasses and other wierd stuff. Alcoholometer measures abv of spirit (It won't work on wash )
dzyner
Novice

Post by dzyner »

I have both. I’ll use the hydrometer as you suggested. That sounds like a sure fire way to tell if fermentation is done.

I’d still like to know if leaving the beer in the fermenter for a few more days will hurt anything. I hadn’t planned on running it for a few more days anyway (didn’t think it would be ready). Will it spoil?
dzyner
Novice

Post by dzyner »

Ok, I popped the top off the fermenter and the hydrometer reads 0.992. Doing the math, with my SG at 1.072, I come up with 10.5% potential alcohol. Sound correct?

That being said, when I popped the top off the fermenter there were still bubbles coming up to the surface (just a few here and there). Should I give it more time? Any harm in letting it sit in the fermenter for a few more days just to be sure?
IMG_2324.JPG
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

No harm letting it sit at 10% - I got some sitting outside a couple of months now. as long as it's reasonably covered to stop the "Grobbles" getting in.

I don't calculate the proofs of my wash sorry, I just tip the sugar in at the beginning (1kg per 5 litres total volume) plus the other ingredients - don't even bother to dissolve it ! The yeast sorts it all out ! :lol:

992 should be fine to go. Not all the CO2 comes out at the same time. some stays dissolved for quite a while. that is probably what the little bubbles are.

Taste it - make sure it's "Bitter" - Remember the taste, now you know it's about done you'll be able to judge it again in future - I just do that mainly and sometimes do sometimes don't use the hydrometer to confirm.

Do tell us how it turns out 8)
dzyner
Novice

Post by dzyner »

Thanks for the reply Pikey. I've decided to let it sit for another few days and continue to ferment. I have it on my enclosed deck now, where the ambient temps get to around 80 - 85 during the day. The airlock is now active again so it must have been temperature related as ACfixer noted in his earlier comment. Not a whole lot I can do about that at this point without investing in a heating blanket to regulate the temps, which I may try with my next batch. Regardless, based on the hydrometer things appear to be as they should be (10.5% potential alcohol at this point) so I'm happy.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Probably should stay quiet but hey what fun is that. You are at .992 with an All Grain mash and 10.5 % ABV. I would be tickled to get that good of a fermentation on an AG. I would set it in a cool place let it clear siphon it into the boiler and run it. How much lower can it go. If it finished it is finished. The current bubbles are probably co2 in suspension not active fermentation. Just my thoughts though.
dzyner
Novice

Post by dzyner »

Thanks for your thoughts corene1. I think someone else mentioned that earlier (about the bubbles). You're right, it's not going to get any better so I'll do as you suggested and put it in a cool place to settle. I won't be able to run it until early next week anyway so a few days of settling will be nice.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

dzyner wrote:Thanks for the reply Pikey. I've decided to let it sit for another few days and continue to ferment. I have it on my enclosed deck now, where the ambient temps get to around 80 - 85 during the day. The airlock is now active again so it must have been temperature related as ACfixer noted in his earlier comment. Not a whole lot I can do about that at this point without investing in a heating blanket to regulate the temps, which I may try with my next batch. Regardless, based on the hydrometer things appear to be as they should be (10.5% potential alcohol at this point) so I'm happy.
If you're hitting 80-85 during the day the airlock is probably bubbling due to expansion of teh air in the fermenter - If you check after dark, you'll probably find it v=bubbling the other way ! :lol:
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

water sits at 1.000 so when you add sugar it brings it up, for example 3 kilos in 20 liters of water brings it up to 1.038 this is a 5.9% beer. after you let it ferment it will lower it back down to 1.000 again or if your yeast works its ass off it will bring it down a tad past 1.000, unless you got something that will make the water more dense.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I have a hydrometer but I've yet to use it. Here's how I can tell if she's done:
Look at it. If it's cloudy and troubled it's still working. If it's starting to settle and clarify it's done.
Taste it. If it's even faintly sweet it's still going. If it's sour like cheap beer it's done.
If it sticks shake it up some or let the sunlight hit it. Light wakes the yeast back up it seems, even artificial light will make my ferments go a little faster if I uncover them.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM